Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Motorcycle Panniers – how do they attach?
  • jackthedog
    Free Member

Pushbike panniers are easy – you buy the rack of your choice and the panniers of your choice, bolt and hook them on and go ride.

Looking at potential bike purchases and the possibility of pannier fitments but things seem a bit less straightforward. Are there any standards? Anything particular that I need to know?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hard cases go on with racks specific to the brand of hard cases. Factory fitted set ups tend to be bettter like the ones you get on BMWs – the panniers are custom made to fit the bike.

Soft panniers bungie on – no specific rack needed

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And a full set of hard panniers + top box can be a truly eye-watering price!

We're getting (Hopefully) another bike next year and it'll have to have panniers as we're used to being able to load 2 bikes up with camping gear, but we'll be 2-up to the TT. I'm simply not considering anything that doesn't come with panniers already on it!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As above, depends on the bike and how 'factory' you want it to look.

Most soft ones have a system of velcro/bungee straps to make them fit over the seat.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

can anyone reconmend throw over paniers?or strap on and a rough over view of what too look for?
    Bruce

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oxford make just about the best throw overs. We've done 1000s (Maybe 10,000s) of miles with them with no problems at all. They can be a right faff to fit and get level and secure, but once you've done it a couple of times it gets a lot easier and faster 🙂

jackthedog
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Beware bikes with high level exhausts, big traillies and most sportsbikes. In these days of cat converters, they run very hot and can melt throwovers in no time. Tankbags are a good way of carrying medium amounts of luggage without the balance issues of top boxes. Again try Oxford Products.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

This is us just before crossing the Alps into Italy, you can see Mrs PPs bike is fully loaded (As mine was) with panniers, tail pack and tank bag

Another view of the bikes (And an ice cream called 'Nogger!) somewhere in Germany

failedengineer

PP – Can I interest you in a Sprint 1050 with Triumph panniers?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you ask me that in Feb/March next year I might be interested, but I'm not in the market right now, sorry.

Ducati ST3 is top of the list 🙂

rone

Shameless recent tour of France / Alps / Millau Panniers shot.

I think factory Panniers are great, especially BMW. I suppose it comes down to what you use your bike for primarily. The nice thing about my (old) BMW set-up is they lock on to the bike using the properly supported mountings (with the ignition key) and then un-lock and you carry off as suit-cases. New systems have inners too so you can leave the hard outer case on the bike and carry the lighter fabric bag into your hotel.

failedengineer

Ok, I'm hoping to sell it fairly soon. I'm fancying a Thruxton next (oooh, I've gone all retro!)

Northwind

Hard cases are definately better, but much more expensive of course. I've got a set of Oxford soft panniers which I don't think I've ever used in the garage, if you're interested? I ended up getting hard luggage.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm fancying a Thruxton next

I do like those a lot. But no good for 2-up touring methinks!

We need to get a bike we can both ride and both like. Our last bike were both Monsters (Me 696, Mrs PP 695) which we loved dearly, but didn't get full use out of. So we sold them. 🙁

I've not really had 2 bikes the same make so far (Honda, Yamaha, Triumph, Gilera, Peugeot, Vespa, Ducati, Aprilia) apart form a couple of commuters that I had at the same time as my main bike, but having had a Duke, I really really fancy another. I sold my Triumph S3 for the much smaller/slower Monster and just loved it. That engine. Ohhhhhhhhhh. That ancient aircooled lump is wonderful… 🙂
    So I think it's another Duke. Multistrada, ST3 or possibly a GT1000. ST3 is favourite becasue Mrs PP sat on a MS and wasn't keen on the shape of the tank, but I'll get her to ride one before we buy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

my dad just went for a mt500, comes with panniers made from what looks like (and probably is) scaffold pole and gas pipe!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And is about as fast and comforable as said pipes! 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Motorcycle Panniers – how do they attach?’ is closed to new replies.