Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • MOT – horn not working. Replace with something *better*?
  • Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

Been doing a few MOT checks before Wednesday on my old 306. I thought it was the horn button on the stalk which was broke, but I've shorted out the switch and still no workee, so I either have to fix the horn itself, or retrofit something. The horn is located in the depths of the front wing, and requires much work and dirtiness to access (drilling rivets etc).

Much easier I think to buy a new one (maybe plug into cigarette lighter?) and have a switch on the dash. This only has to be a temporary solution. Do you think the MOT people will accept it? Super cheap solution would be an aerosol/pump-up air horn like you get for bikes. Or, less cheap, a massive truck-style air horn with it's own compressor…

Thoughts?

Cheers

gareth

skidartist
    Free Member

can you salvage something from an ice cream van?

Or maybe just fit a door bell, the cordless type, the bell push just as a AAA battery inside – ziptie that the stalk, then the bell bingbonger runs off HP4s, gaffer that to the front bumper. Bosh.

Stoner
    Free Member

Drac

They fill up with water on the pug 306 least mine did until I turned it pointed down not up. The Clio was the same had to do it with that.

Liftman

http://www.hornblasters.com/

i'm leaning towards the wakes the dead model

Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

Yeah heard about the water thing. This went pretty sudden though and it's totally dead now.

Think it has to have a min volume and constant tone for the MOT. Otherwise it would be Delboy style all the way 🙂

skidartist
    Free Member

Well go with the doorbell then – have the MOT done 'while U wait' and sit in the scabby waiting room flicking though 2003 copies of top gear magazine. When they get to the horn test section they'll press the button, the doorbell will ring and while they go to see who's at the door, nip in and tick the box of the test report.

rootes1

one of these!

on my 306 mud water/blocked the horn – swapped it for a £7 Ring brand one from local factors wasn't that hard to replace.

TheFlyingOx

+1

yesiamtom
    Free Member

dont horns have to be able to be constantly active now? IE you cant use stupid little hooters like clowns have (why would you want to anyway?)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

tron
    Free Member

Horns are cheap, so why not just wire one up under the bonnet? Can't see the point in trying to bodge a £10 part.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Train horns!?!?!?!

O.M.G.!

HOW MUCH do I want one of those? Looks like it has a compressor and air tank though. Imagine tooting a pedestrian with one of those M.F.ers!

Wow. Just wow.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PMSL! I just can't stop thinking of hooting someone with a train horn…. Or letting the MOT tester loose with it inside the garage….unknowing…..

It's gotts be worth it. 😈

molgrips
    Free Member

My father in law had one of those pump up bike air horns. Fantastic.. ridiculously loud, but of a really comedy insistent aggravating tone too. I want one.

robdob
    Free Member

I must admit to giggling quite a bit about the train horn. We have to make a plan on how to get one of these for your Vespa.

molgrips
    Free Member

Or letting the MOT tester loose with it inside the garage….unknowing…..

Lol!

Just watched some videos on that horn site. Absolutely incredibly peurile, but I can't stop laughing at them!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Just take a vulvasela with you. They'll be sold cheap in a couple of days.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I just watched the Hornblasters video. That's the best, funniest thing I've ever seen! Superb!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Search for 'hornblasters' on YouTube.
    Go on. Do it.

One of them has hooked it up to his car alarm!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I was up in Orkney a couple of weeks ago. The local rednecks bought a job lot of Dukes of Hazzard air horns. The live Radio 3 recordings from St Magnus Cathederal for the Festival were touch and go. They had to set up road blocks to keep 'those damn Dukes' out of earshot.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘MOT – horn not working. Replace with something *better*?’ is closed to new replies.