Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • most effective and tasty recovery drink?
  • maccruiskeen

After a morning commute? Bacon roll and a cup of tea with two sugars.

Place the bacon roll and the tea in a blender for a tasty hot recovery smoothy packed with protein, carbs and electrolytes.

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

Frijj for me as they keep coming up on offer at 50p each at my local supermarket so i buy a load when they do and if its a big ride i drink half before…chocolate fudge mmm

hock

bacon roll and the tea in a blender

😆

Aidan
    Free Member

Re: beetroot, a lab near me is testing that right now. I don’t have time to get involved myself, but a kayaker I know is involved in the trial.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Stella !

Speshpaul

UCI Commo, ” as long as thats a bag of blood and not beetroot you’re ok!”

wilko1999
    Free Member

I had been using this:

http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/sports-supplements-energy-nutrisport-energy-boost-4-1-5kg

Seems to work for me

However, having read some of the other posts on here, and done a bit of further research I reckon I’m going to try using milk from now on

nick3216
    Free Member

+1 for frijj

Maybe more fat than is good for you but seems to work for me.

njee20
    Free Member

Not a lot of fat in Frijj, quite a bit of sugar.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I’d be interested to know how many have breakfast pre commute or on arrival at work? I’m currently wolfing down porridge/muesli or the like plus a banana and coffee before heading out and burping it up constantly during the ride, I wonder if I set off earlier and had a bowl of muesli/protein/banana in work.

Definitely commute then eat, rather than the other way around.

To stave off hunger first thing in the morning have a mug of tea or coffee pre-commute.

For years I breakfasted before my commute, then had another snack on arrival, in the belief that I couldn’t possibly do my commute without some fuel.

Turns out I was wrong (surprise surprise), as my commute is only 11-12 miles.

(Provided I eat a decent meal the night before) all I now have is a mug of strong coffee when I get up, 30 mins later out on the bike for my commute, then breakfast at work.

I’m just as fit/energised, and have lost some weight too. Actualy feel better during the ride, probably as my body’s not trying to digest breakfast at the same time as coping with the exertion.

atlaz
    Free Member

I only really have them so I can go past the aching legs the day after a long ride. Don;t do anything for me the day of a ride…

In the UK:

In Luxembourg (but either the Pistachio or Strawberry as the chocolate tastes toxic)

flange
    Free Member

I do 27 miles each way on my commute, at about an average of 18mph. If I didn’t eat first thing and have an energy drink on the bike (weak Torq solution) I’d be on my arse come 4 o’clock on Tuesday.

I was told that anything under an hour doesn’t need an energy drink (I think i read something by iDave) but anything over that does. Having an energy drink does mean that I’m not starving on arrival and end up eating junk as well.

Recovery wise, if its been a hard ride I’ll have a For Goodness shakes out of a sachet. I do find it makes a big difference but try to keep off them as they’re a bit heavy in calories.

njee20
    Free Member

I was told that anything under an hour doesn’t need an energy drink (I think i read something by iDave) but anything over that does. Having an energy drink does mean that I’m not starving on arrival and end up eating junk as well.

I’d say need is the wrong word – there’s no benefit under an hour, there’s benefit over.

I did find I shifted a fair bit of weight by riding on an empty stomach, with no energy drink, but it’s miserable as you feel crap!

mmannerr

Recovery drinks are very handy but it is worth noting how much they add to daily energy intake and seeing how they fit into daily eating schedule (don’t replace proper food with these too often).
    Some of them are lactose-free, cup of chocolate isn’t…

flange
    Free Member

I have absolutely no will power (ironic considering my name) when it comes to eating so end up eating everything anyway. I’m a fat man stuck in a slightly less fat mans body.

I’ve been known to skip dinner and just have a recovery shake. I’m not saying its right, but I did drop about a stone in weight over the course of a couple of months and could still ride my bike fine.

As for drinks on the bike, I’ll normally stick some Torq in a bottle regardless of mileage, but I’ll change the strength depending on distance. I find I get chronic headaches if I don’t have some sort of electrolyte replacement and my legs feel heavy on the way home

njee20
    Free Member

I have absolutely no will power (ironic considering my name)

Please tell me your name is William Power?

I find I get chronic headaches if I don’t have some sort of electrolyte replacement and my legs feel heavy on the way home

Try High 5 Zero or Elete Water or similar then, electrolytes without all the carbs from an energy drink.

flange
    Free Member

Please tell me your name is William Power?

Sadly not – I’ve got the first bit sorted but may now change my surname to ‘Power’…….

Try High 5 Zero or Elete Water or similar then, electrolytes without all the carbs from an energy drink.

Cool beans, will give it a try. Ta..

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘most effective and tasty recovery drink?’ is closed to new replies.