Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • most effective and tasty recovery drink?
  • iDave
    Free Member

Try it with full fat milk rewski

njee20
    Free Member

I meant ‘harder’ in the sense that riding at the same speed on a roadie-ists bike would require a lot less effort … as proven by the odd roadie who glides effortlessly past me on occasion

But you didn’t say that – if your commute takes 40 minutes the bike is irrelevant. 40 minutes on the road bike is as hard (if not harder). I see what you mean though, were you to have a road bike it would probably be less, assuming you rode the same distance. I’m being pedantic.

Although you could ride more slowly if you desired on a mountain bike. Whole different kettle of fish.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

Whole milk and Nesquik or Mars Refuel are two for £2, if you want pre-mixed in a handy bottle.

rewski
    Free Member

Zipvit Sport* ZV5 works out about £2.10 a serving, cheaper than a pint of ale 😉

flow
    Free Member

Whey protein from myprotein.co.uk is the best quality/value around.

hock

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/ has a few articles on nutrition amongst others
    – how to recover hard rides
    – why milk is the perfect recovery drink
    – home made sports drinks
    (links didn’t work here)

theteaboy
    Free Member

Bah, I’m about the same build as you and I was pretty chuffed to get to it (post-xmas diet), now you tell me I’m still a fatty

😆 My wife tells me I’m too bony as it is and has vetoed any further weight loss.

She’s also told me that she expects a 34min 10k this year. Make your mind up woman.

spando
    Free Member

Just milk is a great recovery drink, cheap and easy to get hold of. You can enhance it by blending milk, a banana and coco powder. It tastes great and is cheap, add cinnamon for a wee kick.
    I have used Hi 5 4-1 fuel/ recovery drink, quite expensive so for races only. I have found it to be very good with a marked improvement in performance due to the protein content.
    Good luck in finding the right thing that suits you.

spando
    Free Member

Oh yeh +1 for chocolate milk shake, read somewhere that it is the perfect recovery drink!

mogrim

My wife tells me I’m too bony as it is and has vetoed any further weight loss.

Women seem to get worked up when you weigh less than them 🙄

nealy
    Free Member

I’ve just started drinking about 200ml of chocolate milk (Tesco’s own brand) within 15 minutes of finishing rides and do feel better for it plus according to Strava my average speed has increased. Result!

rootes1

andypaul99
    Free Member

1/2 beetroot, 1 kiwi, 2 apples (no cores) with skins all in the blender, doesnt taste all that but its highly effective.

Fair bit of Fructos there, I’m thinking.
    Not sure how effective Fructose is at helping you recover.
    [/quote]

True the mix doesnt have much protein, but to be honest you can get all the protein you need from normal whole foods, what you dont get is the nitrates in beetroot which reduces post muscular fatigue, the pottasium and magnisium from the kiwis which you would loose through sweat and the usoric acid from the apple skins, which protomes muscle growth. I dont do recovery shakes or bars any more as they are so full of the cr@p you dont need..

Blackhound

I guess you can’t make your own shake at work hould you want one but at home I do similar to a few other up there. 1/2 pint of milk, banana, protein powder, Camp coffee essence and chocy ovaltine all blended together.

I have read in a couple of places that as you age you do not process protein as well. At 50+ I am trying to keep my protein intake up a bit. Can do 100km road rides on successive days easily enough.

CaptJon
    Free Member

i like 2 parts milk to one part for goodness shakes

Toasty

Yazoo from the nearest garage on the way home.

ds3000
    Free Member

I’d be interested to know how many have breakfast pre commute or on arrival at work? I’m currently wolfing down porridge/muesli or the like plus a banana and coffee before heading out and burping it up constantly during the ride, I wonder if I set off earlier and had a bowl of muesli/protein/banana in work.

Jehosophat
    Free Member

People can tell me it’s pointless as much as they like (the same people that say energy drink during exercise is pointless) and I can sort of see their point as I only ride 2x per week and eat plenty. However – if I use a complex carb energy drink during the ride, and/or recovery drink afterwards, I feel a hell of a lot better the rest of that day and all of the next day. If I use nothing I can feel really ropey and apparently can be moody (thanks dear!) however much I eat before and well after the ride. I also am noticeably more like to get a cold after riding if I don’t eat/drink something very soon after returning.

FWIW I generally use 50g / 500ml SIS rego after anything much over an hour, but I do get a gripey stomach sometimes and other people I know get the same. I see they do an “easily absorved” version for more money now, I have just swapped to Torq to see if it is any better.

Northwind

Yazoo for me, when I take one… Not expensive, easily available (in different size bottles too), doesn’t need to be kept cold, and it’s lovely. A win on multiple fronts.

northdownsouth
    Free Member

Big choco milk fan here. The “science” says a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein, within 30mins of finishing a workout. Chocolate milk fits this pretty well as it is whey protein (in milk) and simple sugars.

Definitely more important the more intense the workout is as said above. Then again if you are starving an hour after getting to work then its probably an indication you should eat/drink/take something after the ride.

oldgit
    Free Member

Rego with water. Only after very very hard rides when I think I might suffer that night.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Mordue Workie Ticket, or Radgie Gadgie, if it’s been a particularly hard workout.

alex222
    Free Member

nourishment

billyboy
    Free Member

Henry Westons Vintage Cider

BLISS

and a pint of water might help after that

jonba
    Free Member

half a pint of milk or a can of coke or a nice cup of tea. 12.5 miles is a warm up…

hock

or

BenjiM

Nesquik and skimmed milk for me after ahard ride.

Speshpaul

“I use and really like Torq Recovery Chocolate Orange”
    Blimey, its good stuff but i had to gag it down in one. Pricey as well.

I’m surprised only one recommendation for myprotein. works for me and also stops me for commando raiding the fridge.

Macavity
    Free Member

Or instead of all the extremely processed food, from above, you could have an apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOuMaOGrnxU

Aidan
    Free Member

I’ve tried Rego and Torq. I prefer the taste of Torq, but the effectiveness seemed similar.

As njee says, you shouldn’t need it for your commute. I would recommend that you just take Wednesday off riding to recover instead.

If that doesn’t grab you, try drinking an energy drink during the ride. Not loads of it – as has been pointed out, you’re not burning a truckload of calories. But, I’ve found that dilute energy drink makes “Friday legs” a bit less of an issue.

mr_stru

If it’s just your legs that feel done in and you have a shower at work try 30 seconds of cold water on them. It sounds mental but it does seem to work.

njee20
    Free Member

I agree with Aidan on using an energy drink during instead. I tend to use a weak Torq mix on longer commutes, does help, more so than necking a recovery drink containing more calories than you just burned!

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I’m sure I saw something on the BBC recently where they looked at basic food & drink & put it up against sports equivalents.

I think they had one show which covered sports recovery drinks vs natural drinks & milk came out a clear winner.

brooess
    Free Member

publically available – chocolate milk or milk
    at home: banana, milk, honey and oats. good mix of sugar, carbs, protein, nothing unhealthy at all and damn tasty

Shandy
    Free Member

MyProtein Total Protein has 46 grams of protein and 2.4 grams of carbs in a 60 gram serving. There are a couple of different types of protein in it so it will release gradually over the day and take the edge off your appetite.

will
    Free Member

I agree with Njee. He knows his onions, or in this case recovery drinks.

For what’s it’s worth for my 35 miles a day I don’t eat anything special. Only extra thing is a bowl of Bran Flakes & banana at 11am.

dobo
    Free Member

i usually have a choc milk, asda or tesco cheap ones or yazoo, if i dont have any i’ll go for milk
    after a hard race or ride on sunday though i usually feel really lathargic the next day. its really anoying as i always eat/drink something within 15 mins and use an energy drink or gels on the ride.

langylad
    Free Member

Wifey works for a health food company and she has done quite a bit of research on this as they can order ‘off the peg’ mixtures of carbs/proteins etc from the manufacturers. She has a client in America who used to be an elite cyclist (Came over here for the Milk Race) but is now in his 60’s and still races at a very high level. He is an obsessive roady and does a lot of lab testing on his VO2 levels and what have you.
    He has been corresponding with her recently about beetroot capsules and he gets an increase of 3% in oxygen up take to the blood, which gives him a 1 min improvement in a 10 mile t/t.
    Shame, can’t stand beetroot myself 🙂

shiny
    Free Member

recoverite – made by Hammer Nutrition. A miracle in powder formula, seriously good…take within 30 minutes of finishing and again within 2 hrs if unable to eat.

It has really changed my experience considering the temp here in the jungles of malaysia and the terrain covered…

Look it up, not sure if available in the UK.

cheers
    shiny

njee20
    Free Member

He has been corresponding with her recently about beetroot capsules and he gets an increase of 3% in oxygen up take to the blood, which gives him a 1 min improvement in a 10 mile t/t.

Forgive my cynicism, but really? That’s an absolutely colossal improvement, if elite athletes were getting that sort of gain they’d all be popping beetroot!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘most effective and tasty recovery drink?’ is closed to new replies.