Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cycling in London (flashing LED content)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Can people please not set all their LED lights to flash mode please? Especially the emergency strobe setting? It’s really crap for being seen by traffic, and it’s also very uncomfortable for anyone nearby. Almost everyone in London had their lights set to ‘retina pain’ or ‘epilepsy’ this evening.

Motorists will see you much better if your light is steady. After all, if it’s flashing it’s off half the time and the slow flashes are long enough that an eye could pass across you whilst your light is off. Plus it takes much longer to track where you are going if your light is flashing slowly.

Steady main front and rear light, and then small flashy extra ones to denote a cyclist, I reckon.

Thanks.

vinnyeh

sorry mols, gotta disagree there- so many static lights in central London that for the commute along places like that Embankment the flashy thing works a lot better. Agree with you where there’s less light, out in the suburbs on quiet streets, but not when there’s lots of light sources, rainy/foggy night makes things worse.

Flashy light’s are a lot better too than the folk who want to ‘own the night’ with their Hope 4’s and Maxx D’s set to point straight ahead, or helmet lights shining all over the place, often in drivers eyes.

molgrips
    Free Member

As a motorist, I’ve seen a lot of cyclists, and the ones with flashy lights are much harder to process and track – for my brain, at least. That’s why I have one (quick) flasher, and one steady.

To be fair quick flashers aren’t so bad, it’s the slow aircraft wing light type ones that are bad.

I just went through Kensington Gardens (I think, it was dark and I didn’t end up where I was expecting to be) with dozens of cyclists along an unlit path. It was a forest of red flashing lights, I had no idea where anyone was going or how many there were. Ok so it was unlit, but really I think you should have at least one steady light. Flashy is even worse if the lights are really bright because you stop being able to see much of anything when one of those is in your face.

Agreed though that helmet lights only are daft.

lazybike
    Free Member

As a regular driver in London I agree with the op, things I really notice are the led valve things, reflective tape on spokes and the reflective ankle straps

molgrips
    Free Member

Good point actually, given the huge amount of lights reflective stuff works really well. When someone’s decked out in a yellow top with beading all over it, there’s really no mistaking it for anything else. Dwarfs a tiny red light.

eshershore
    Free Member

I run scotchlite reflective tape on my commuting bike: on the wheel hubs, seatpost, fork legs and rear stays, and some on the backpack too

running a L&M Stella 200 up front in rapid flashing mode, and a Cateye rapid flasher on the seatpost sitting next to a KNOG light which is on constant

what amazes me in London? the amount of idiots riding with no lights at all…or a nice fluroescent jacket and no lights, or lights with flat batteries so dim you can hardly see them!

nosedive
    Free Member

I usually ride with a flashing light, and I figured it’s OK, normal slow flash with a bit of steady light in between. The other day I came across some nobber with a light that was strobing and obliterated all vision though, ridiculous. gave him a bit of full beam from the car as revenge

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

One flashing, one constant. That’s the key.

brack
    Free Member

Totally agree…

Raised this very issue a few months ago.

Just no need for it…!

neilnevill
    Free Member

what flashy says.

flashing gets you noticed, it’s like movement, it catches the eye. Solid on is also needed to judge distance/locate the object.

besides, you need several lights to be seen in traffic and ensure you always have at least one working (we all get caught out with flat batteries occasionally, 2 lights gives redundancy.

I use some of those reflective straps too, one on right ankle for cycling specific movement and one on right wrist for right turns.

Stu_N

The Exposure pattern of a bright flash from a steady background is very, very visible and very easy to follow IME. (Speaking both as a bikeist and a driver.) Flash and Flare do that as do the more expensive lights.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

flashing gets you noticed, it’s like movement, it catches the eye. Solid on is also needed to judge distance/locate the object.

^^So much of this!^^

reflective straps too, one on right ankle for cycling specific

^^And this^^

I spent quite a lot of time, some years ago, working on the issue of what makes it more likely that a cyclist will be “seen” amongst all the light and mayhem of a busy street, and of a dark country lane. I got to know too much about it.

The two things which stood out were;
    Catching the eye – Movement is the key here. Be it a flashing light to attract the eye (hunter/gatherer instincts kick in), or a movement that is obviously the movement of a cyclist (Oddly, those horrible orange pedal reflectors are among the most effective things on a dark road!)
    Judging the distance – Solid, fixed light or reflection. Not moving around, but a big, bright and obvious thing. Like a reflective rucsac cover, maybe. 😉

lazybike
    Free Member

the amount of idiots riding with no lights at all

arrhh yes, the ninja cyclist, I see a few of them……no pun intended…. 🙂

Gordy
    Free Member

things I really notice are the led valve things

I’d no idea such a thing existed. I fancy those for the bike trailer at least.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the led valve things

Only for Schraeder, IIRC.

Stu_N

Only for Schraeder, IIRC.

Yeah, but presta-schrader adaptors are very cheap.

Think outside the box…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Fast flashing LEDs for the win.

Bloke on the canal yesterday; come up behind him, slow right down, ping me bell. A few times. He moves to the side a bit, I ride past him, slowly, thinking he mustuv heard me. He then sez ‘why don’t you get a bell?’

😐

I then showed him my bell, and politely explain that I had bin pinging it, demonstrating it’s ping an ting. He then mumbles ‘oh well I’m a bit deaf’.

😐

What can you do, eh?

I did think about saying ‘well get a hearing aid then’, but actually it’s better just to be considerate and courteous really, we all get along better that way.

The other day I came across some nobber with a light that was strobing and obliterated all vision though, ridiculous. gave him a bit of full beam from the car as revenge

So you countered knobbery with yet more knobbery. How very mature and productive…. 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stu, extra rotational weight for the Etape du Embankment? 😈

samuri
    Free Member

lots of flashing lights, lots of reflectivity seems to work best.
    The further away someone sees me from, the better.

Stu_N

Stu, extra rotational weight for the Etape du Embankment?

I’ve never cycled it, but I don’t believe it’s any more than a Cat 2 climb – even going upriver against a spring tide.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There are some serious “professionals” there, Stu! Deep section carbons, tri bars, aero frames and more!

I do so love baiting them on my 80s ladies town bike! 🙂

Stu_N

It’s the New Year’s Resolution crew you have to watch. Riding in yesterday I had 3 people on my wheel at the bottom of a hill – and I was wanting an easy day, but I went for it cos I had to fly the flag for the year round rider.

By the time I got to the top I had 7….all on Boardmans, natch.

😀

rootes1

me have exposure flash (on erm fast flash)

I find if you just have steady more people pull out in front of you..

BUT it is bright enough, do find some bods lights over kill..

this looks cool though:

[video]http://vimeo.com/27280439[/video]

Yeah, but presta-schrader adaptors are very cheap.

Think outside the box…

yer or just araldite presta valve caps into them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stu, I wheelsuck. With no shame. I commute on an 80s Raleigh Cameo. She’s a lovely old girl, with a Sturmey three speed. That top gear, combined with a big set of thighs, can really motor.

So, all Nu Yur Kru? Well, I wheelsuck ’em. They look over their shoulder and see, while they’re dressed in all the Assos they pick up online cheapo, me. In my normal clothes. On a ladies bike. Sitting happily on their wheel, with almost no effort. The more they try, the more I just sit on their wheel. Sometimes I even itch my nose or yawn as they try and pull away. It’s so much fun!

neilnevill
    Free Member

OMG, I agree with Flashy….I may have to spank myself.

trouble in London isn’t being seen…its the c**ks in black cabs that ram you intentionally …they are EVIL!! 👿

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cycling in London (flashing LED content)’ is closed to new replies.