Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • morzine – going solo
  • lexiekay
    Free Member

I went to Morzine for a week last year as part of the flowmtb dirtgirls week and really want to go back this year, but not as part of a 'skills' week – I got a bit frustrated having to ride where we were told last year and didnt feel I got the chance to make the most of it.
    Anyway, recent circumstances mean that if I go, it will have to be on my own, as most of my friends don't ride. So, any suggestions on how best to do this? I know my way around so dont need guiding etc, and would be looking to do this on a budget really. Problem with going on your own to these things is it tends to be more expensive! Oh and I looked at the 'singles' holidays but I only really want to go there to ride bikes, not do the rafting/hiking etc that seem to come with it…
    Thanks!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Plenty of groups head out- maybe see if you can find a mixed group to join?

Wouldn't really recommend riding alone out there, but can understand not wanting to be restricted too much.

beagle
    Free Member

Evenin'.

I went on my own a few years back at short notice, when I fancied a break and my riding buddies couldn't do it. Did a week in a catered chalet then moved onto 5 days with Endless Ride but only on a b&b basis. Met some dudes in the chalet, one who is a now a good mate. Saying that, I quite enjoyed the latter too, just riding and chilling at night with a book and a large glass of wine.

I'd say go for the b&b only option with one of the providers. Failing that, depending on how long you are staying for, I'd either ask about any seasonnaire accomodation, or just tell them what you require. I've stayed with 5 different set ups and they have generally all been flexible to our requirements. They may even offer you something they don't advertise.

Good luck! 🙂

Good luck!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jossie

I went alone a few years ago and met my wife out there, so I would say go for it! I went with Endless Ride and went back with them for our honeymoon.

Conor
    Free Member

I'd speak to the Flow guys again and see if they can fit you in on an accom basis only. Then just get flights ot Geneva. So a\t least you'd have a place to stay but also meet up with other bikers.

What are you thinking of heading out? We're heading there 11th-17th July, some of us are flying, some of us are driving. Got chalet sorted out (may have spare room, but not sure yet). Can't wait 🙂

lexiekay
    Free Member

some good ideas, thanks!
    Haven't really decided dates yet – went in mid August last year and the weather was fantastic, but some of the trails were beginning to show some wear, so maybe earlier in the season

Ambrose

Just go do it. Loads of places to stay, and everytime I've been out I've met up with people who were up for a ride. If you know the way around a bit you will be all the more popular, esp if you can head away from the Pleney/ Les Gets central areas and head off into the hills. As above I'd go B+B only at a MTB specific hostel- where you are bound to meet like-minded people.

And closer to the date post up on here that you are going and arrange a 'group ride' out there, there are bound to be a few regulars in the area.

I'm hoping to be there for the Passe'Portes event on June 26/27, work committments allowing.

mildred

I reccommend speaking to Steve & Sue at Trail Alpine:

http://trailalpine.co.uk/summer/

Very friendly and good prices, and will cater for whatever type of riding you want.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

We get plenty of solo visitors over the summer – they almost always hook up with other guests to ride.

I'd strongly suggest some sort of chalet trip where there'll be others around to spend time with off the bike planning what to do the next day on the bike. I don't think you get that so much in a hotel environment. At least with an MTB chalet holiday you know the other guests are there to ride just as much as you.

Guy

tracknicko
    Free Member

if you are worried about trail wear mind, it doesnt really matter which end of the season you choose!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘morzine – going solo’ is closed to new replies.