• This topic has 87 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Morzine dilemma
  • rhid

I rode in the alps on my heckler a few years ago and it was ok, rode it last year on my bullit and was better, hopefully going out this year with a 224 and think that will be the right bike. However we only tend to do the DH runs hence the DH bike! Plus I ride my DH in the UK too so its not like its going to waste.

I like the idea of getting a (cheap 2nd hand) bigger bike to go out there as it means you don’t have to mess with your UK trail bike as stuff can easily get broken in and enroute to the alps! More suspension and bigger brakes made the 2nd trip far more enjoyable for me as my hands and arms took a bit less of a beating. As a result I could rider faster for longer compared to when I was on my trail bike.

Who knows if you get a DH bike you may well use it a fair bit in the UK too!

jameso

I get GW’s point, if you don’t ride DH in the UK there’s not much point buying a DH bike for a short trip to the Alps? You’ll know if you’re hitting stuff fast / hard enough to need a proper DH bike already.
    I’ve been to Morine a couple of times and tbh the worst part of it are the ‘proper’ DH runs, all the good stuff is away from the braking bumps and crowds – having said that a few runs there are always good fun.
    But I’ve never wished for a DH bike there – tbh jumping on a DH bike that you’re not totally used to isn’t as much fun as you think. Better off on something that I’m used to that would suit the hardest riding I’d do in the UK, add bigger rotors and tough tyres / wheels and take off any pimpy parts that you don’t want to see accumalating 6 month’s use in a single week.

A beater SH 160mm bike with reliable brakes and suspension would be my ideal choice, chuck it on the lifts and don’t worry about abusing it for a week or 2.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

A very timely thread as I’m heading out to Morzine in August. I rode the Mega course in Alpe d’Heuz a few years ago on a Specialized Pitch and just about survived. I now have a Stumpjumper FSR and am planning to take it – pleased to see 140mm is sufficient as was weighing up the options of acquiring a used DH bike rather than abusing my Stumpjumper

jedi

thanks jambalaya, kind words 🙂

markwalker
    Free Member

the blur will be brilliant bike, suggestion get a dropper seatpost this will transform the geometry into a semi d/hill rig and give you more room to manouver.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bear in mind that you may end up riding more of the DH stuff out that than you intended to because it’s so easy and fun.

As others have said, you will get a battering on your Blur riding the main Pleney and Chavannes runs. It may also feel a bit hairy on some of the steeper off-piste stuff (which is the best riding in the area) if you are not already a pretty confident rider.

This, ^ or a patriot / SX type option – just get it early enough that you can get it setup and running how you like it.

+1

First time I went out I built up an old Big Hit just before I went out and it was all wrong for me. Too soft spring, frame too small. Last year I was on a 180mm bike I’d already owned for a year and felt much happier.

Next time I will take a proper DH bike and a 160mm AM bike.

jambalaya
    Free Member

AndyRT – I picked up the PP book when I was first out there but to be honest we never used it. We just studied the map, asked questions of Chalet hosts and bar owners about the best stuff. Would recommend sharing a guide for a day if your budget stretches, we did that in Les Gets and rode some stuff we’d have never found otherwise. As a nice AM detour I suggest lunch at Mont Caly, it’s a small village above Les Gets with stunning views and a great “locals” restaurant with excellent food (it was described by a regular guest at our chalet as one of his favourite places in the world and one sunny day we were there I would agree). Access via Les Get lifts (quieter sdie) and a pleasant flatish ride along the mountain side which is a antidote to all the downhill crash bang wallop). You can ride back to Les Gets lift system via an easy Black trail or Red/Blue options.

Spin
    Free Member

The only reason you need a long travel bike in Morzine is to cope with the horrendous brake bumps.

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Morzine dilemma’ is closed to new replies.