• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by wl.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Morocco anyone been Tanger area
  • hofnar
    Free Member

So I got the dreaded call from my boss. I have been off for a looong time and only due back in three months now they want to ship me off to
    Tanger next week.

Anyone been there is there any road or offroad riding going down there.

Any general tanger experiences also welcome

Cheers

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

been to Atlas Mountains from Marakesh (dont’ know where Tanger is versus that) one of the best holiday EVER! Awesome riding.

roper
    Free Member

Tangier is certainly an interesting city , but is very busy. How long are you going for?
    The streets can be manic in places unless you get out to the posher parts of town, where the roads are better too. The Medina is worth exploring but not on a bike, and probably best with a guide.
    I’m sure there would be some fantastic road riding out of Tangier, especially along the coastal roads, but you would need to know where you are going. You cant just stop at a road side shop or petrol station, there might not be any. You should have access for mountain biking in most of the countryside. Keep some €’s in a back pack and learn a little Arabic, French or Spanish and you will find strangers more than welcoming and happy. Prepare to eat out well too. You can find some amazing restaurants and small cafes.

On a side note, try to visit the Church St Andrews. The caretaker’s name was Mustapha Chergui. He is a wonderful person (mad as a bog of frogs) but will be pleased to show you arround.

roper
    Free Member

I forgot to say, if you do take your road bike, head towards Chefchaouen. It’s quite far (from memory) but a lovely, quiet, little place.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve travelled quite a bit in Morocco (done two 4×4 treks, one guided, one on our own) but never been to Tanger.
    It is a fantastic place, and I’m sure you’ll have a great holiday.
    I do know a bit about southern/inland Morocco so if you decide to change destination send me a message.

hofnar
    Free Member

Munge chick,

Tanger is all north just accros Gibraltar Atlas is indeed very interesting tough way too far away.

Roper,

Thx I would probably need to do two 2 month stints having only one day off a week. I speak French rather fluently which is probably also one of the reasons my boss picked me.

Freeagent,

It sadly no holiday I will be doing 6 12 hour days a week and get one day off destination fixed of course as our construction site doesn’t move.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

morrocco is great, so long as you can be patient and keep a cool head. ive not much experience of tangier sorry, ive been through it on my way into the rif mts which are lush. be aware though that the people in rif grow weed and their main experience of westerners going into the mts is to buy weed. you will probably have to repeatedly refuse large quantities of the stuff if you trek off into the rural villages. we did but it was ok once we explained we didnt smoke, they just seemed a bit bemused that we didnt want 2 tonne of hash 🙂
    i doubt it would take much to get someone to uplift you in a hi-lux and show you some long goat trail descents
    +1 the euro thing, people generally dont want dirhams, euro is king in morrocco

freeagent
    Free Member

Some amazing scenery in Morocco – these pics are the area around the Atlas Mountains

wl
    Free Member

Check out Fez – amazing city, not that far from Tangier. And if you venture further afield, see Skoura among other places. Morocco’s a great country in lots of ways.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Morocco anyone been Tanger area’ is closed to new replies.