Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)
  • More Bear Grylls bellendery.
  • sbob
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog – Member

I bet he’s quicker on a bike than all of you haterz.

Not me, I was taught by Les Hiddins. 😀

CountZero

It’d be great if he was actually eaten by a bear whilst ars ursing around.

CountZero

wrecker – Member
    I genuinely don’t understand what this means. At all.
    Don’t strain yourself petal.

I don’t either. “IT blokes”, possibly, but “SF do”? Nope, not a clue; there’s no context to indicate just wtf SF refers to.
    I guess you just had to be there.

I think “hate” is a bit much in most cases, “dislike the persona” or even “disinterested” are generally nearer the mark. Hate should be reserved for the truly odious

This, definitely.
    It’s Grylls’ continual macho “me fighting the worst the natural world has to offer” which grates, whereas Mears doesn’t fight, he works with what it has to offer, which I find much more inspiring.

tallie
    Free Member

I’m fairly ambivalent about BG but for those struggling with why climbers are bothered here’s the rough equivalent in mountain biking terms:

Opening shot is BG running up to the top of the Red Bull Rampage site in Zion National park Utah with a 1998 Marin Nail Trail on his shoulder leaping like a young gazelle from dusty gully to cliff edge.

Next shot he talks to camera whilst sitting on his bike at the top about how he just likes to get out and challenge himself on a ride – as the camera pans out to reveal the panorama you notice he’s using 1.9 Panracer Fire XC tyres and the logos and valves aren’t even aligned.

He starts of down the trail – cut to BG doing a superman over the 72ft canyon gap. You don’t see the take off and if you know what you’re looking for you can just make out the harness and wire that’s suspending him from the crane but it’s well done particularly as Bear (no helmet, locks billowing in the wind) turns to the camera and gives a cheeky wink.

Finally we see him land (sitting down, rear wheel first – logo and valves still misaligned) and it’s obvious to the initiated that both he and the bike are suspended from above but again to the casual viewer looks pretty good.

Your 9 year old nephew tells you that BG is a much better rider than Danny M / Petey / Brendog / insert favourite rider.

jonnyboi

Panatacer fire XC pro was a great tyre in its day

crazy-legs

I don’t either. “IT blokes”, possibly, but “SF do”? Nope, not a clue; there’s no context to indicate just wtf SF refers to.
    I guess you just had to be there.

SF = Special Forces.
    Usually used in conversation by people who are desperately hoping that you’ll ask “what’s SF?” and they can say, all casual like, oh yeah, Sass. And you go, wtf is Sass?!
    Y’know, the SAS.

As though they hang around with Sass all the time…

Bear Grylls was in 21 SAS which is the Reserves. He then did some time in the Royal Marines Reserve as well. Although by all accounts he’s a very experienced skydiver.

martinhutch

I bet he’s quicker on a bike than all of you haterz. And even if he’s not, a bit of nifty editing will sort it out.

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week38/britains-biggest-adventures-bear-grylls

About 10 seconds in on this trailer for a flavour of Bear shredding some top Dales gnar.

IIRC, he was having trouble with the concept that changing gear can make you go faster. 😀

what’s SF?

Surely the correct answer to anyone who talks in these terms is to say: ‘Sinn Fein? That’s brilliant!’

Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘More Bear Grylls bellendery.’ is closed to new replies.