Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 127 total)
  • More Bear Grylls bellendery.
  • jonnyboi

Kids watched one yesterday, in it the real victim punctured a lung and bear told an anecdotal story about another guy who drowned crossing a river. It’s hardly surprising that he didn’t recreate both moments.

I find the amount of fervent hate bemusing, you climberists must be an easy bunch to troll.

whitestone
    Free Member

You know those YouTube videos that consist of 15 minutes of “me riding down trail X”? Well TV would be like that without editing. You don’t make an interesting TV show without having some form of storyline planned out beforehand, there has to be progression through each scene to lead to the next otherwise the viewer is just going: “a minute ago they were abseiling in the jungle now they are wearing snow shoes” or something equally jarring.

Unless it’s one of the early Benedict Allen shows where he shoots everything on a small handheld camera then there will be a film crew on hand, naive to think otherwise.

The only BG show I’ve watched beyond the first 30 seconds was the one with Barack Obama and there was one point where the camera did turn round to show the rather large retinue that accompanies the POTUS (as Obama was at the time).

All the above is a bit different, it’s *how* the programme is made, to the actual programme content being patently wrong or not in line with the narrative.

RustySpanner

I find the amount of fervent hate bemusing, you climberists must be an easy bunch to troll.

You have absolutely no idea.

The UKC forum makes this place look like Gandhi’s crochet club.

newrobdob
    Free Member

My worry with him, is that he is portraying actions and risk that he is not actually taking,

So what? Whats the point of inspiring people to go out and be adventurous then saying at the end “ooooh actually its really dangerous so lets dial down the fun please”. Its going to put people off and parents might stop their kids doing it.

Anyway, the sort of people who are daft enough to be injured by, for example, jumping in a river or climbing up some rocks, would probably be daft enough to do it without watching the programmes.

I meet a different bunch of year 6 kids evey week and if I bad mouth him it’s like I’ve killed Santa in front of them.
    They don’t care if he’s top roped up that. They don’t care if he sleeps in a hotel after pretending to whittle a bed out of a goat’s carcass.
    They don’t care. He is awesome and makes them want to go outside and do stuff.
    Which is great.

^^^^This very much…… you don’t inspire kids by frightening them and warning them, you go out, do awesome stuff and they want to do the same. Ray Mears is also great, and probably inspires a love and respect for nature more than Bear, but Bear inspires excitement and adventure.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m just off out to jump in a freezing river then revive myself by disembowelling a passing sheep and wearing it as a gilet. After then I’m going to use a power-line as a zip-wire. Back later.

ps: don’t try this at home kids. Remember all participants in this post are trained, professional stunt artists with skills developed over years of foolhardy buffoonery.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He was at Eton you know.

jonnyboi

This will ruin your world.

Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall never actually lived at River Cottage.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He was at Eton, too.

jonnyboi

yep, it was the association that put his name in my head.

Jivebunny could make a conspiracy theory from that….

JoB
    Free Member

fasthaggis – Member

It’s as if lots and lots of some people struggle with using a TV remote.

it’s not as remote as it would have you believe you know

Anyway, the sort of people who are daft enough to be injured by, for example, jumping in a river or climbing up some rocks, would probably be daft enough to do it without watching the programmes.

I thought the one where Bear made a mold of his head using only a microwave oven and some Polyfill was a bit OTT though.

scud
    Free Member

The thing is that was me, i was the kid that jumped off the Hot Walls in to the sea in Portsmouth, who was a naughty army cadet and joined the Army for real at just shy of 18 to jump out of planes, but on the flipside i also took my coaching qualifications in rugby and MLTB leader as i wanted to pass on those skills.

Kids are impressionable is my point, and we all did daft things as lads, i’d just rather they idolised someone like Danny Macaskill who whilst he does present a highly edited version of events, then will show the unedited mistakes and consequences too, often it is more fun to watch too.

taxi25
    Free Member

My worry with him, is that he is portraying actions and risk that he is not actually taking,

But for the most part he could actually do what he’s portraying. It’s just inching up a climb for hours on end doesn’t make for good TV.

stever
    Free Member

I see there’s a separate bear baiting thread going on ukc right now. Such a lot of botheredness. I’m off to rub some dirt on my cheek and abseil off a frozen raven corpse. It’s nice out.

fasthaggis

JoB

it’s not as remote as it would have you believe you know

I know,I know,roll on the new models that can be wired straight in. 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

But for the most part he could actually do what he’s portraying.

Nah, not even on a top rope. Has anyone on a climbing forum posted the grade of that crack yet?

steve_b77
    Free Member

To be fair it’s not a technical training video, its entertainment TV and he’s carved out a very successful career irrespective of what a select few experts think of him.

As said above, he inspires kids to be more kid like and do adventurous things, it’s not like that Peter Duncan chap documented all his failures, risk assessments and film crew involvement on Duncan Dares is it.

nick1962
    Free Member

FFS that video is old.Joe Cocker was in the prime of life when it was posted on Youtube.

sbob
    Free Member

Les Hiddins would drink him under the table.

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s completely moot, as I’ll wager Bear Grylls inspires more young people every week than all the nasally-voiced IT-working climbing-expert armchair viewers pointing out the errors in his climbing ability do in a lifetime!

Whilst this is undoubtedly true, being the poster boy for the scouts doesn’t mean he’s not Bell end, and with regards to what the IT chaps think of him, they don’t dislike him anywhere near as much as SF do (I was quite surprised at how much). They really really don’t like him at all and I’m sure he does more for the scouts than they do too.

jonnyboi

Bloody Sinn Fein, why so down on our Bear?

wrecker
    Free Member

San Francisco silly!

outofbreath
    Free Member

JoB – it’s not as remote as it would have you believe you know

Chapeau!

crankboy
    Free Member

“they don’t dislike him anywhere near as much as SF do” https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Bear_Grylls not as funny as the actual threads on arrse but more safe for work.

scuttler

Les Hiddins!!!

Even more of a Lej than than the Legend of Margate. Bush tucker decades before that dreadful programme with those chaps from Byker Grove.

As for the loose comparisons being drawn between Danny Mac, Leo Houlding and the numb-nuts subject of this thread, whilst I agree all are the product of some nifty editing, viewers would still be enthralled when seeing how it was put together (30 minute BBC Scotland making of DM’s The Ridge anyone?). I expect ‘The Making of <Bear Grylls Stunt>’ would be somewhat of a disappointment as it transpires that he did very little of the antics he was portraying. Mind you he’d probably manage to dramatise the 3 day crappy weather sit-out too.

Chief Scout or no Chief Scout he’s still an effin-fraud.

jimjam
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

I don’t understand why people seem to cultivate this weird, burning hatred for media figures. It seems like a waste of energy.

People dislike privilege and success, particularly when they perceive “they could do better”.[/quote]

No. Perhaps that’s the case for some people but I would suggest the reason people develop an extreme dislike for certain tv programmes, programme types and personalities is due to a rejection of the image that is being sold to them.

Take the tv show “Friends”. How could anyone hate that? Well what if you objected to a programme that championed vacuous stupidity and self obsessed neurosis which almost single highhandedly introduced the word “like” as a filler or substitute for “such as”.

And whether you’re talking about Jeremy Clarkson or Jeremy Corbyn the fact that they are on TV as opposed to speaking in public means their voice, and their opinion is amplified many millions of times over that of someone not on tv regardless of whether their words are factually correct and well thought out or just opinionated drivel.

njee20
    Free Member

FFS that video is old.Joe Cocker was in the prime of life when it was posted on Youtube.

What do you mean? He’s ok yeah?

Whilst this is undoubtedly true, being the poster boy for the scouts doesn’t mean he’s not Bell end, and with regards to what the IT chaps think of him, they don’t dislike him anywhere near as much as SF do (I was quite surprised at how much). They really really don’t like him at all and I’m sure he does more for the scouts than they do too.

I genuinely don’t understand what this means. At all. It appears just to be words, with some random capitalisation, or is “Bell End” a person who Bear’s been accused of being?

martinhutch

I can understand some antipathy for Bear in the climbing community after he broke his collarbone kite-surfing in Antarctica, and was medevac-ed for somewhere in the region of 200 grand. The following year all BMC travel insurance policies had to go up significantly, apparently with this as one of the most significant factors 😀

whitestone
    Free Member

I think “hate” is a bit much in most cases, “dislike the persona” or even “disinterested” are generally nearer the mark. Hate should be reserved for the truly odious. My best man would say “I hate David Beckham” whereas what he really meant was that he played for Man Utd rather than Liverpool.

As for “Friends“, I h…

wrecker
    Free Member

I genuinely don’t understand what this means. At all.

Don’t strain yourself petal.

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t strain yourself petal.

I won’t, don’t you worry, I’m way too important to spend time working out the incoherent ramblings of someone with an inferiority complex 😆

sbob
    Free Member

I’m with Les Hiddins:
    [video]https://youtu.be/yObpeHD6_X4?t=117[/video]

That’s Major Les Hiddins, time served veteran, not a part time poster boy. 🙂
    All hail Les.

sbob
    Free Member

nickc

To be fair it’s not a technical training video, its entertainment

I wonder how the OP feels when the TV chef’s produce a pie “they’ve prepared earlier”

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m way too important to spend time working out the incoherent ramblings of someone with an inferiority complex

Of course you are sweetheart

zippykona

We have a customer that prepared all of Delia’s “earliers”

lister

Whoever cooked the pie doesn’t matter, but the pie WAS cooked.

He didn’t climb that crack. And that is why he’s a bell.

BadlyWiredDog

I bet he’s quicker on a bike than all of you haterz. And even if he’s not, a bit of nifty editing will sort it out.

Just watched a Danny Mac video, off out now to ride off the roof of next door’s garage! Looks mint fun!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

It annoys me that his stuff is all made up but it’s not presented as such.

If it were a fictional character in a story, that would be different.

BadlyWiredDog

Maybe you could think of him as a fictional character and he’ll stop annoying you.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘More Bear Grylls bellendery.’ is closed to new replies.