Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Monster S4 – any good??
  • oldgrump08
    Free Member

I’m going to have a test ride on an immaculate 02 S4 this weekend. Reviews all seem to be pretty good, but grateful for ‘real world’ opinions too.
    I’m looking for a torquey, chuckable nicely put together all rounder for weekend fun and the odd longer trip….

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Any one??

singlecrack
    Free Member

are you looking for poverty as well ?

amplebrew

oldgrump08 – Member

I’m looking for a torquey, chuckable nicely put together all rounder for weekend fun and the odd longer trip….

Speed Triple?????

LycraLout
    Free Member

good, expensive, my experience of italian electrics has been, um, interesting
    speed triple, cheaper, as good maybe better, less posey

my next bike’s likely to be a 955i daytona which is a faired speed triple

gixer-chris
    Free Member

As above – Speed Triple any day. Or if you really want Italian, go for Aprilia Tuono? People say that getting spare parts for Aprilia’s is quite hard, but according to Bike magazine its getting better

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you want a Monster, get a Monster. Nothing else will do if that’s what you desire….

Look for history: A wad of service bills and a higher milage is far better than nothing and a low milage. Dukes thrive on being used and hate standing. Remember the belts need changing every 2 years: DO NOT skimp on that and it’ll most likely be perfect. 🙂

Do it!

oldgrump08
    Free Member

LycraLout – it’s my 04 Daytona 955i I’m thinking of selling. If you want more info e-mail me andybu@gmail.com

Thanks for the thoughts. Would love another Trumpet but afik the Speed Triple is a naked Daytona, and so would not give me the change I’m looking for – and although I would love a Street Triple they’re too expensive at the moment.

Are Dukes that expensive to maintain??

gixer-chris
    Free Member

I’ve never owned a one, but I’m led to believe that services costs are quite high on them?

amplebrew

It looks like pre 2007 models are dearer to service than the newer ones.

The following links are main dealer prices, but should give you an idea:

Pre 2007 models

Post 2007 models

Here is some info from Motorapido as well:

Ducati servicing

failedengineer

Anyone interested in a Sprint ST1050, ’06 reg?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Thanks for the thoughts. Would love another Trumpet but afik the Speed Triple is a naked Daytona, and so would not give me the change I’m looking for

It is basically, yes.

I went from a 955i Speed Triple to a Monster 696. Very different bikes for sure, and I’ve been bitten by the Ducati bug now. I’ve never had 2 bikes the same make, but all I can think of is getting anther Duke next time….. Not really looking at anyhting else now 🙂

ajc
    Free Member

My neighbour had one for a while. Nice bike but he sold it as he didn’t like riding round on a tarts hand bag.

bakey

I’ve owned a Ducati and a T595 (the older version of the 955i). Ducatis are more expensive to service, but given it’s only for weekend fun, you might not be notching up the miles. The key with all Ducatis is ensure the services are up to date (esp. the belts, as mentioned above)and personally I’d walk away from a bike not serviced by a Ducati dealership.

Both have great engines, bags or torque. To my ear the Ducati sounds nicer. Ducatis also tend to be a lot lower.

amplebrew

Going by the amount of riders that ride over on them to the Isle Of Man for the races, they can’t be unreliable.

We get riders on older 916’s and 851’s etc riding to the Isle Of Man from Italy and further afield!!!

I get the impression that as long as they are looked after, then they are fine.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Re pose(u)r/tart’s hand bag comments – my Daytona is bright yellow and has various carbon bits. The S4 I’m looking at is understated by comparison 🙂
    Those servicing costs don’t look too bad (well if you squint a bit). Don’t suppose I’ll be racking up 000s of miles.
    Anyway, I might ride it and hate the thing. In which case time to start saving for a Street Triple.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Monster S4 – any good??’ is closed to new replies.