• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mondeo handbrake question??
  • CHB

Hope the STW collective can help me here!
    I am fairly savvy at fixing cars.
    This means my 25 year old skint nephew has asked me to have a look at the handbrake on his 2003 mondeo.
    I have never worked on a mondeo before, so any diagrams or haynes cut and pastes for hand brakes would be really apprreciated.

As I understand it, the handbrake doesn't work at all.
    So I am thinking snapped cable.
    But do I need to dis-assemble the inside of the car, or is it all accessed from underneath.

Thanks for any help.

CHB

sorry meant for this to be in chat.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

my mondeo handbrake is shit

GaVgAs
    Free Member

The earlier ones have return springs mounted on the rear calipers,there prone to seizing up,Once the cable end is removed,the caliper can be freed off with some lube (gt85?) and use some large adjustable pliers to work the actuator back and forth. hth

I would remove the HB gaitor and back off the cable tension using the 13mm nut first, before removing the wheels/brakes.

takisawa2

As above. The mechanism seizes. If its the same as on our Galaxy then grab a 13mm spanner & just keep spraying & working the mechanism with the spanner.
    YGM also. 😉

slimtubing
    Free Member

Same problem with my 2002 wagon, bodged a fix to get it through its last WOF but i fear the next time is gonna be costly. 🙁

CHB

Thanks all, and particularly Takisawa2, I am sure that a career in the secret service awaits…."Now listen carefully Bond, refitting is the reversal of removal!"

I am sure I would have gotten a worse answer off a ford forum.

CHB

Thanks again for all the advice.
    I had the car in bits today.
    Turned out that all it needed was lube, grease and a big pair of pliers.
    It was like servicing a pair of oversized Avid BB7's.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mondeo handbrake question??’ is closed to new replies.