• This topic has 22 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • minus 6 commute was fun………in a odd way.
  • ton

just rode into work, minus 6 when i set off.
    body was nice and warm wrapped in wool and windproof.
    ears, nose and cheeks feel burned.

wors

Same here, my jacket started freezing by the time i got to work!

barrykellett
    Free Member

Was only -4.5 here apparently
    but the lack of wind meant it felt massively warmer than last weeks commuting.

yoshimi

6am, -6deg, scraping ice off the car to head to the gym wearing shorts and t-shirt – not fun in an obvious way! I really needd some sort of furry tracksuit thing.

disco_stu
    Free Member

think it was about -5 in Birmingham, wasn’t too bad but I could feel the cold seeping into my feet, glad i took the short route into work.

Drac

-6 that’s almost tropical been on nights and in some areas we were at it was -12C.

MicArms

-8 this morning..oh how I laughed.

swisstony
    Free Member

same here, my dilema was i wanted to go fast to keep my body warm but then the wind chill just froze my face

Kahurangi

I thought it was going to be minus 4 or 5. Layered up, charged down the hill out of Newcastle (nothing like descending 100 m on road for the wind chill to get you going).

Got in to work after a nice ride, some tricky sections past Newbrun-Wylam now I’m back on the commuter (CX ish).

Face was a bit cold, breath had frozen on to the front of the hi-viz gilet.

Minus 13 from the folks in cars.

Could explain why the feet were a little nippy and the water bottle frozen solid. Tough on the lungs.

Tracey

-15 at 6.30 this morning when I was defrosting the car

foxyrider
    Free Member

-3 here in Devon – I didn’t bother today as I had a slide on my commute on Sat as sheet black ice – Will try again tomorrow off road 🙂

chriswilk
    Free Member

Defeated om my off road commute thismorning.

[/url]

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Too much ice around here to even bother getting the bike out.

Working at home today, but was outside at 6:30am pushing the neighbour’s car that was stuck on the ice!

Minus 13 in Belper. And my missus has gone to Bakewell and the pool car that has been sitting in the car park all weekend was showing minus 16!

simonm
    Free Member

Minus 15 in Hope valley.

pinch_flat
    Free Member

On friday my 10 mile commute got interesting, was approximatly -7 in Notts at the time and I got a puncture- I took ages searching tyre for the cause and as a result I got myself freezing cold so wasn’t happy when 30 seconds later the replacement tube went, by the time I actually got riding I’d spent over 20 minutes changing tubes and searching for the elusive cause.

When I got to work I hadn’t been able to feel my toes for over an hour!! Looking at the second tube in the warmth of work I think it may have been that the rubber perished- it was really ballooned around the valve area

ski
    Free Member

-4 here aparently, Worcestershire?

Need to shave my legs as the hair on them froze solid!

Did not feel as cold today as much as I did last Friday, but the ice was a big problem today, on some of the tracks and canal paths I use!

Blasting down a hill doing 20-30mph you could feel the cold wind chill factor on your face mind!

ebygomm
    Free Member

Had to abandon the bike commute on Friday due to various bits of the bike freezing up. At -11 this morning I didn’t want to risk the same again.

marka.
    Free Member

Only -2 or -3 for me and felt pretty nice since there’s no wind. The roads were fine – the cycle paths and pavements were still lethal in places.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I’m pleased there is nothing on my bike which freezes up these days -except my fingers. At home I have a whole drawer full. I even have two electrically heated pairs(poor), and have tried chemical heating pads (sweaty palms & frozen digits).
    Three sets chosen from the collection today, wool, powerstretch then Goretex outers. Still no fingers. Can there be a solution?

Haze

Not sure of the temperature around here in the West Mids, but it was/is bloody foggy.

Had bits of frost forming on my clothes and bag by the time I’d finished my 6 mile commute.

Tights, buff and merino kept my nice and toasty though 🙂

crazy-legs

-10 at mine, turning to a positively balmy -4 in Manchester.
    I was in a van. 🙂

I’ll be riding home though, the CX bike has a set of Schwalbe Snow Stud ice tyres on, they’ve proved very effective so far.

takisawa2

-7 in Lichfield. Car was properly iced up. Really tough layer of ice, not like normal frost.
    Our street is just ridiculous, but thankfully not on a hill.
    Milk had almost frozen solid this morning.

Drac

Hmm maybe I underestimated as when we were in Newcastle at 7 am it felt noticeable warmer than Thropton at 5am.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘minus 6 commute was fun………in a odd way.’ is closed to new replies.