Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Minions V High Rollers
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Actually, i have to say in my experience that HR’s are terrible in thick mud. Had one on the front at last yrs’ CRC Marathon round at Ruthin and it was that bad i couldn’t keep the bike in a straight line. The tyre clogged solid til it looked like it was made from smooth mud and became increasingly dangerous. Might have been the clay-based mud but it was a horrible experience. The bike came with a HR on the back and a Minion DHF on the front but i thought (in my wisdom) that the HR on the front was a better bet – i now know different. Having said that, the DHF dumped me off the other week when it slid out in a puddle of wet mud so hmmm…

jhw
    Free Member

Agree

With one exception

the DHF dumped me

You dumped yourself!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well yeah, hit a puddle of mud on a tight turn and didn’t have enough weight over the front end so down i went! 😳 Hadn’t ridden the DHF for ages and it’s pretty much brand new. It was fantastic in the dry and dusty conditions of the Long Mynd last weekend but i’ve no real experience of how a DHF will hang up in a lot of mud. Suppose i’ll find out this weekend!

Northwind

Most tyres are terrible in bad mud though.

They’re not all that massively different IMO… Only big difference I find is that once a Minion slides, it just wants to keep on sliding, where other tyres would reaquire grip. Both need a bit of commitment to get the best out of them… Minion has a hilarious amount of grip on the right surfaces, ie firm and dry but not dusty or rock hard. But Highroller works well in more circumstances.

Sionwms
    Free Member

I hope I never have to buy new tyres for my Stumpy…. I don’t think I could decide what to go for. Horses for Courses 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Minions V High Rollers’ is closed to new replies.