Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Mini moan – NHS content
  • Lets get this straight – I fully expect any following posts to generally be telling me I’m wrong, so flame away – I care not.

I noticed a lump on my stomach the other day which I guessed could be a hernia. Working away makes it awkward to get to my GP – especially as they don’t take appointments for Fridays (it’s an emergency surgery only). My wife suggested I pop down to our local minor injuries unit today, which I thought was a good idea.

Now bearing in mind I’m aware that they only have nurses on duty, I was just looking for a bit of advice and not a full diagnosis – i.e. is it possible that it is a hernia? If there’s any possibility that it is, then I would make arrangements to see my GP – it’s a lot of time and money lost if this isn’t necessary.

The rather unhelpful lady who came to the reception looking like she wished I would die before even speaking to me told me that there was no point seeing the nurse as she would just tell me to go and see my GP. So, no questions, not even 30 seconds to view the lump, nothing.

Oh, it’s ok though, because I can go away, ring my GP’s out of hours line, tell them that there will be a different nurse who will be there later and arrange through them to see her?

Would it have hurt, really? This isn’t a busy A&E by the way.

Drac

Ok, like any job there’s grumpy people employed.

Was the person who come to reception a Nurse or the receptionist?

Sounds like she was probably right as if it is a hernia you’ll have to go through your GP.

You still should have been examined by a qualified person though.

Dunno, she was dressed in the usual blue clothing, so not a receptionist, but don’t think she was a nurse.

Don’t mind seeing my GP if I need to, but only if I need to. Had a nurse told me it was possible it was a hernia, then I would book in. On the other hand, if she said she doubted it was then I would monitor it and see what happened, rather than letting an important customer down on Monday (or worse having to come back from London midweek) and losing over £300, plus fuel if returning in the week.

Seems I can’t even make an appointment to see the ‘other’ nurse that is on later, as my GP out of hours line puts you through to NHS 111.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

Yeah it’s the turning you around at the desk I’m not happy about. The lifestyle of working away you have is something you really can’t expect your GP to work around but I know where you’re coming from.

111 will go through as few choices for you condition, I’m not sure if one of those involves making an appointment with MIU.

I’d go back down and if they try the same tell them you want to be examined first before they kick you out.

meehaja
    Free Member

Your biggest problem is, if you are seen by a medical professional of any capacity, they are effectivley responsible for you. So if the nurse checks it out, says yeah its probably a hernia, go see your GP and then 24 hours later an alien bursts out of it, when you sue the nurse, they get struck off as they are not qualified to make that decision, so instead they send you to A&E so a dr can tell you to see your GP as its not an emergency issue (having tested to rule out AAA/Alien infection etc.)

simonlovell999
    Free Member

What about phoning NHS direct, they should be able to help

I think NHS Direct has been replaced by 111 – and I’m guessing either way, without being able to see it I would get no other response than ‘it’s possibly a hernia – see your GP’.

Gonna have to bite the bullet I suppose.

Drac – thanks for the advice, but don’t think I’ll go down again and make a nuisance of myself.

Drac

Yeah there is the point of making a nuisance of yourself, what ever it is I hope you get sorted soon.

Simon Ambulance Indirect is being scrapped for Ambulance 111.

hels
    Free Member

Here’s a radical suggestion. You can’t get to your GP in their hours ? I have that problem too (wish the NHS would recognise that not everyone works 5 mins from their house and let people register at a practice near their work).

Anyways, there are any number of private doctors prepared to take your money for a consultation. They are nice chaps and chapesses, generally have warm soothing voices, pleasant consulting rooms and you don’t have to wait 2 hours for them to see you.

If it is going to cost you £300 to miss a day of work then you are ahead.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

If you are wroking away from home can’t you register at local GP to work as emergency appointment instead?

druidh
    Free Member

Lot’s of folk don’t have a “works address” – mobile working, sales, that sort of stuff. But yeah – it’s a question of priorities. Are you worried enough to miss work for a day in order to make that appointment or not?

Drac

Here’s a radical suggestion. You can’t get to your GP in their hours ? I have that problem too (wish the NHS would recognise that not everyone works 5 mins from their house and let people register at a practice near their work).

Some do.

Problem then being when too ill to get to work, they’re not near there GP.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you are wroking away from home can’t you register at local GP to work as emergency appointment instead?

wish the NHS would recognise that not everyone works 5 mins from their house and let people register at a practice near their work

They do, one of the advantages of the semi-privatised NHS, the GP’s will take anyone as it’s competition (so in theory the best GP will get more patients and more money) . I’m registered 300miles away from ‘home’ as it’s near work. Called them for an appointment on Friday as my back was getting beyond ‘just a twinge, it’ll go away’, to the point where i couldn’t get socks on! Got an appointment for 10:00am!

Drac

They do, one of the advantages of the semi-privatised NHS, the GP’s will take anyone as it’s competition

Well sort of, they released the restrictions a good few years back under patient choice of care.

kimbers

I’ve always found NHS direct very useful it d be stupid to scrap it imho !

sunny Saturday in a & e she’s probably dreading the avalanche of injured kids followed later by vomiting alcohol cases this evening

Drac

It’s being changed rather than scrapped, they’re trying to allow a system for people to call for advice and if needed also get an ambulance that can be arranged for a few hours rather a few minutes. The jury is out.

poly
    Free Member

Someone at the minor injuries unit told you you should see your gp about it. The only complaint you really have is she didn’t examine you first, but its almost guaranteed that unless when she examined it she could either fix it (the job the unit exists for) or realise you are dying and refer you to a & e immediately that the nurse was going to say yes you should see your gp.

As hels says there are private walk in clinics in London who you can pay to poke your abdomen on Monday. Alternatively if you get down there and think it is quite serious, you can visit any gp who will see you as a visitor (but expect a long wait if the receptionist doesn’t think you are seriously ill).

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Simple way to tell if its a Hernia push said lump if it squelches, its a hernia. Also if when you push lump in and cough and it pops straight back out then its a Hernia.

My incredibly hard stomach won’t let me push it back in – it’s near my navel, not in my groin by the way. Anyone else with experience of one would be gratefully heard.

fontmoss
    Free Member

not all hernias are reducible

whichever way is best for you then go see a gp

codybrennan
    Free Member

I think the advice was sound. It may not have been presented in a friendly manner, but the MINTS people have a fairly strict list of what they can and can’t do. Its been designed that way, to streamline certain common ailments and get them treated quickly.

Diagnosis of ANY “lump” in the abdomen needs a proper process, and MINTS is not the place to get it- get to your GP as soon as.

Your health is too important to risk, STR, and if it is a hernia, it needs looked at. They’re the stuff of comic legend but can turn nasty.

project
    Free Member

There is usually more than one drop in centre localy , just try another, but whatever happens dont not do anything about it.

Try ringing your GP for advice.

RichPenny
    Free Member

You should definitely get that checked out. I’ve heard of hernia cases where the localised waste products end up being rerouted through the esophagus. Wouldn’t want that happening now…

althepal

Ambulance indirect- love it Drac.
    Had an umbilical hernia years ago when I was a kid, wasn’t sore, didnt affect me.
    Wasn’t happy when I was taken in to have it fixed- think I was about ten so don’t remember much..
    Like others say- get it properly checked out. Best in the long run surely?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Mini moan – NHS content’ is closed to new replies.