• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by aa.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • MINI DV Helmet camera opinions please
  • BoardinBob

Crap based on my personal experience

jhw
    Free Member

the image quality itself is OK but

(1) it’s almost impossible to tell if it’s recording or not. No really; and

(2) there are major problems with the interface with the SD card. Mine corrupted about three somehow. Lost a week’s Alps footage.

The combined effect is that I hardly got a single video out of that camera despite best efforts. So buy a proper headcam or nothing IMHO.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

aa- on balance: you get what you pay for. I got one and when it works it’s fine – actually very good. I’d never think of using it for a once in the lifetime trip etc.

I did have one major problem with mine – the lens (with has the imaging chip integrated) physically detached itself from the main circuit board. That required some major magnifing glass work to sort.

Considering that the whole thing is probably smaller than your thumb – that was a real pain to sort.

But for peanuts – it’s great! seriosuly – get a camera that;s so cheap if you do write it off – who cares! Unless it’s the old “once in a life time” thing – in which case avoid. For me – I paid £17 ish and realised that I’m not into videoing stuff. The camera is now bolted to my nephew’s kart so they can show everyone that they really were going 60mph. They love it!

Andy-R

Like jhw said really – the image quality is surprisingly good but it really is almost impossible to see the little recording LED in daylight (which is any time that you’ll be using it then) and everything is so small and fiddly to operate unless you have minute hands/fingers.

I don’t think that it’s wide enough angle to work well as a helmet cam either, placement is too critical and you don’t get a good idea of the surroundings. I tried it a few times and realised that it didn’t do (for me)what I hoped that it would.

rOcKeTdOg

they are a bit fiddly, but i borrowed the instructions from someone with a genuine one and could work out how to use it, i paid £2.95 + £5 postage for mine, for that money you can’t complain

works fine with a fast micro SD card, no issues

retro83
    Free Member

Picture quality surprisingly good, but it’s pretty difficult to get it mounted in a decent position. Usually find that most of my film is pointing at the ground or sky.

Recently I discovered that it is exactly the right size to jam into the middle vent on a Giro Hex. That works pretty nicely.

ArcticBeast
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member

Crap based on my personal experience

yep I agree with that comment, the helmet mount is useless it shakes around far to much and don’t even think of attaching it to a bike.

save your money and get something else.

rOcKeTdOg

i didn’t bother with the mounts, as you say they are rubbish, i used electical tape, doesn’t budge an inch over technical terrain

looks awful, but works a treat

muvi cam panda by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

aa
    Free Member

ta everyone,

I was just planning to shoot some riding down the woods sort of thing. Nothing special.

Think I might pass,

thanks for the comments

aa

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘MINI DV Helmet camera opinions please’ is closed to new replies.