Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Metallica, ACDC, Led Zeplin?
  • big-chief-96
    Free Member

Metallica, ACDC, Led Zeplin. to be honest i love hem but what about everyone else?

MrSparkle

Everybody else loves hem too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Outaqdted dull pish in my book. Have you ever seen spinal tap? every metal band should have given up after that.

I used to go to see all these type of bands in the 70s – it was acceptable then but music and the world has moved on unless you are German!

Sorry – dated boring pish

izakimak
    Free Member

always get a nod of apprecation from me. 😛

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

I love hem,everyone and else, not so keen on Metallica though

But Rainbow from the “Rising” period really do rock

big-chief-96
    Free Member

at least most people apreciate them

franki
    Free Member

I was a massive Metallica fan until after Master Of Puppets. They’re too mainstream metal for me now. Still pull out a few ace tunes though.

ACDC – absolute garbage IMHO. Formulaic rock for your great-grandad.

Led Zep – their earlier stuff is still stunning. Their influence is still so obvious on many bands.

tone71
    Free Member

metallica rule , but cant understand why everyone slated st anger , i personally think it is a hell of a lot better than death magnetic , but hey what the fek do i know !

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I’m going to see AC/DC at the end of the month. Nice.

CountZero

Like Metallica a lot, seen them two or three times, left sweaty and grinning each time. Saw Zeppellin once on the Physical Grafitti tour. Awesome live band, and when they launched into Kashmire and Trampled Under Foot I thought my head would explode. Not keen on many of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, they really were what Spinal Tap were all about. Judas Priest, Saxon? Oh, please

nickc

Dull formulaic “by the numbers” heavy rock. Can’t distinguish one band from another TBH.

Largely agree with TJ, how any of them can carry on after Spinal Tap with anything approaching a straight face baffles me

jond
    Free Member

>Can’t distinguish one band from another TBH

Well, if you don’t like it, you ain’t gonna listen to it enough to make that distinction, are you ?

>Judas Priest, Saxon? Oh, please

Get a grip. Judas Priest laid the foundations for a lot of the metal that followed. As for them being ‘NWOBHM’ they ain’t – been around since the 70’s. Whereas Saxon *are* NWOBHM…

DrDolittle
    Free Member

dated boring pish

Radical concept maybe TJ, but how about enjoying old stuff and newly released stuff?

Twice as much fun.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dr Dollitle -I do enjoy old music – even old rock. Listening to some 70s reggae right now.

However even tho I loved metal back in the 70s I find it virtually unlistenable now – it just has not stood the test of time – even classics from back then – let alone the bands that are still making this formulaic music now.

Metal is about the only type of music other than Rap and its derivatives that I don’t like

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Led Zep have not stood the test of time?

I feel a friday night argument coming on 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I never liked Led Zep even back in the day 🙂 One or two tracks sound OKish now but very little of that stuff does IMO – pretentious twaddle played badly and too loud

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Now you’re just trolling…

Anyway, it’s pretentious twaddle played fantastically and not loud enough.

Reluctant
    Free Member

LedZep are one of my pet hates! Loathe them with a passion along with lots of other metally stuff from that era. Fine in the 70, utter **** now. AcDc – i can still listen to Bon Scott era, but feel they should have quit after he died. Never really listened to Metalical, but the little i’ve heard sounds ok.
    There are bands from that era i still like…Black Sabbath still sound amazing, Hawkwind’s noisy rythems still do it for me, Motorhead joyous din still makes me chuckle. And how can you hear Judas Priest’s “Breakin the law” without laughing out loud at the silliness of it all!
    I’ve probably got odd and contradictory opinions on this stuff… each to their own, innit.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Regarding Led Zep, I had zero time for them up until about four years ago. Now I love them. I have no idea why, but perhaps it was just me getting over all the “baggage” of 80’s punk rock ideology or something.

Anyway, they are great. I am right and the naysayers are wrong.

stratobiker
    Free Member

MO – pretentious twaddle played badly and too loud

Best get your axe out and show us how it’s done dude!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Led Zep – not really
    ac/dc – yep definitely, although why bother releasing new stuff
    Metallica – yep upto ‘and justice’ nope after

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stratobiker – Member

IMO – pretentious twaddle played badly and too loud

Best get your axe out and show us how it’s done dude!

stratobiker
    Free Member

Nah c’mon Teej you knows what I’m talkin bout! 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ok metal geeks – defend this lyric

We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx
    Our great computers fill the hallowed halls.
    We are the Priests, of the Temples of Syrinx
    All the gifts of life are held within our walls.

nickc

I had zero time for them up until about four years ago

I went through the same thing with Pink Floyd a while back. Couldn’t stand them at all, then suddenly, Ohhh, right, I get it….

Weird.

I’ll try some led Zep on Spotify, and see what happens

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Jethro Tull Aqualung

Keva
    Free Member

Led Zep were a fantastic band. I wouldn’t exactly call them Metal ? I got into them in the late 80s early nineties, saw plant & page three times the best being the no quarter tour at glasgow sec 1994.

Kev

Junkyard
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    I never liked Led Zep even back in the day One or two tracks sound OKish now but very little of that stuff does IMO – pretentious twaddle played badly and too loud

I think you have had few knocks to the head helmetless TJ
    They are the very definition of Rock to not like them is to not like /appreciate music IMHO.
    A little dated for sure (and pretentious to be fair)but still yoofs today listening to them so they must have struck a chord (btump tish).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

They are the very definition of Rock

I think you will find thats Clapton

A little dated for sure (and pretentious to be fair)

My point exactly – dated and pretentious. glad we agree

I just ain’t stuck in some strange 70s time warp – I grew up a bit. Honest!

I got a load of rock – clapton, cream, Hendrix, Stones,

How many of you metal fans have mullets? go on – own up now

Now anyone going to defend that Rush Lyric?

number2
    Free Member

Loved Zep back in the day and still do now. Only difference is that then I went for the heavier stuff like Black Dog etc and flicked the needle on the slower stuff. Now things have changed a little and I prefer the stuff I used to miss out, Misty Mountain Hop, When the levy Breaks etc.

Must be gettin old eh?

Sabbath, Hawkwind and Floyd still doin’ it for me tho’.

Some good tribute bands around too that are worth a look!

DrDolittle
    Free Member

We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx
    Our great computers fill the hallowed halls.
    We are the Priests, of the Temples of Syrinx
    All the gifts of life are held within our walls.

That’s the STW mods for you STW addicts that is.

cinnamon_girl

Rock er rocks! Never saw Led Zep but saw Black Sabbath a few times including their banning from the Royal Albert Hall, pretty much a riot 🙄

Still love rock music and am currently in love with Joe Bonamassa 8)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

😀

cinnamon_girl

Enough of this “pretentious twaddle” remarks. Some brilliant and innovative music came out of the 70’s but then again … you had to be there 8)

I see Neil Young has just released an 8 Cd box set …

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cinnamen girl – I was. Saw Black Sabbath, hawkwind, rush, thinlizzy, Tangerine Dream, deep purple, etc etc at the old but not forgotten Glasgow Apollo in 1975-77. thing is the world has moved on since then. Would you ride 70s bikes or drive 70s cars – to say nothing of the haircuts and clothes 🙂

Some things are best left in the past where they belong

cinnamon_girl

TJ – I have to disagree! They set the foundations, the same way as the old blues players from way back when. Why does Clapton have Robert Johnson as his hero?

Perhaps blues music can stand the test of time – there are so many new guys that can really play ie Joe Bonamassa, Aynsley Lister. I even saw B B King play on his 80th birthday concert tour.

Junkyard
    Free Member

TJ clapton the definition of rock FFS I dont even think he would claim that
    I dont see any young people wearing his t-shirts do you?
    Actually I dont see ANYONE wearing his T-shirts

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A lot of that blues still sounds good. I am still partial to a bit of Clapton even. Metal was an offshoot that should be allowed to wither and die.

Do you have a mullet?

cinnamon_girl

Junkyard – I have seen EC twice but not on solo gigs – he played with Roger Waters, Dave Gilmour etc. Check out Joe B for guitar playing though, he’s fantastic!

cinnamon_girl

TJ – no mullet but my hair resembles a Phil Spector wig 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Metallica, ACDC, Led Zeplin?’ is closed to new replies.