Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • MET ParaChute Helmets, any good? Or similar options?
  • jskiffin
    Free Member

Anyone used one?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Honestly, & without trying to sound condescending, do a search, if STW search doesn’t come up trumps then do a search on google using STW as a key word.
    But to cut a long story short, some like them, others don’t. They are not a replacement for a proper full face, but they do feel lighter & breath better, but that is because they do not offer the same level of protection.
    HTH.

Sancho
    Free Member

Urge enduro way better

NormalMan

The parachute is discontinued I believe.

jskiffin
    Free Member

http://welovelapierre.com/urge-archi-enduro-helmet-fakejet-cream-large-xlarge?gclid=CNHe_sj3zbcCFavHtAodTlwAYw

Is this the helmet you mean Sancho?

I thought they were hard to find!

I don’t do full on DH, more XC but I do enjoy the gravity assisted stuff. That’s why I thought it may be a good idea to have at least a little more protection when the trail gets narly and fast. A full face would kill me during the uphill slogs.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Not worth the risk

Sancho
    Free Member

that’s the one, we are going to start stocking them soon a few lads are using them already and really rate them

third pic down is Andy
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/UK-Gravity-Enduro-Round-2.html

mrelectric

Spec Deviant. More info there if you search STW.

frazchops
    Free Member

Oh dear

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep a mighty face palm topic, some hate (and have never used them), some (who have used them like them) general stuff really.

(I liked mine and used it and tested it)
    Paste this into google
    “singletrackworld met parachute”

jskiffin
    Free Member

It’s obviously a contentious subject.

For what I do and the extra protection one would offer, they seems worth it to me.

Doesn’t look like any are up for sale on STW that will be still available, will keep checking 🙂

Thanks all.

MrNice
    Free Member

Urge enduro way better

this guy isn’t impressed with it

warning: grim injury photo

sure there’s more protection than open face but don’t think it can replace a full on DH full face

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I used to use one mainly for the additional protection it offered the back of my head as the chin guard came quite low (at the time, there weren’t may “trail” helmets around)

Was lightweight, but I was always aware the chin-guard could do more harm than good. Restricted breathing a little on hard climbs, and wasn’t nice if you suddenly felt sick…

Never actually fell on it though so no idea how good it would have been.

Sold it on ebay

Bought a Uvex XP100,

citizeninsane
    Free Member

Got one and really like it. Not too hot and you don’t even notice the chin guard is there, after a while. I’ve even tested it out on a couple of occasions, and have no complaints.

It obviously doesn’t offer the same protection as a FF, but it’s not designed to be used for DH etc. For XC and general trail riding, it’s fine. If the place you’re riding warrants a proper FF, then use a proper FF!

some hate (and have never used them), some (who have used them like them) general stuff really.

Agreed. There seems to be 2 schools of thought here. The ‘hate them, never used them and never would’ and “got one, like it and it’s saved my face on a few occasions.’ General beef being the idea that the chin guard is a bit weak and will shatter and stab you in the face if you crash. It’s not as weak in the flesh and pretty much all the stories I’ve heard have been hearsay. Let’s face it (maybe literally in this case), if you were to face plant hard enough to break it, I imagine you’d be a lot worse off without it. I use it cos I’d rather avoid adding to the scars on my chin from previous unfortunate OTB incidents.

Do a search and you’ll find a few topics about them.

As you said, they’re pretty much discontinued now. The closest I’ve found to it is the Cratoni C-Maniac
    http://www.cratoni.de/en/bike-helmets/1291794700_mr/c-maniac.html
    Not found any reviews about how they perform really, but the chin guard does look more chunky. Much cheaper than the MET too.

NormalMan

Sancho – Member
    Urge enduro way better

Any idea if the front part offers much teeth protection? Just looking at the gap in the face piece. I’m looking for something like this but after having a load of dental reconstruction the mouth cover is important.

jskiffin
    Free Member

Let’s face it (maybe literally in this case), if you were to face plant hard enough to break it, I imagine you’d be a lot worse off without it

My sentiments exactly

jskiffin
    Free Member

The Cratoni C-Maniac is on eBay brand new for less than £20.

For the first time in my life I’ll use the phrase MET are “re-assuringly expensive!”.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘MET ParaChute Helmets, any good? Or similar options?’ is closed to new replies.