Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • are casco viper helmets any good
  • vondally
    Free Member

Just wondering if the Casco Viper Helmet like this

not for full on downhilling/freeriding but additional protection for a male rider in his late 50 who had a bad fall breaking his cheekbone and shattering his confidence.

He is going on a skilss day in the near future

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Possibly. But make sure he avoids trails where other people ride since they may point and laugh, which won’t do his already shattered confidence any good at all.

righog
    Free Member

I and quite few people I ride with have got one ( bandwagon you say ?). They are Ok.

I can’t remember the last time I used the chin guard. But saying that it has once or twice saved my face from being cut up from falling on rocks, more glancing blows than full on face plants. I also saw someone have a strange crash were they did a backwards flip on a steep climb and he managed to split the chin guard in half. He was happy it was not his face.

They are very well made and fit well, but for me the ratchet system at the back keeps getting caught up in my Camelbak, so I am looking for a more normal replacement.

Cant really recommend them for everybody been OK for me probably better off buying a good XC lid and full facer if you need one.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Not sure. What standard do they conform to?

Mbnut
    Free Member

I use mine a fair bit and find it excellent for my purpose.

Basically i ride on my own during the week a fair bit so I where a Casco and body armour as they offer a decent level of protection when i am riding trails that are techy and no one is likely to be on them for hours or even days.

Had a few offs and the Viper has done its job just fine… I still have my good looks!!!

No problems with the back catching my pack but then I use a Wingnut so not an issue.

jonba
    Free Member

Few people in my club ride with them. They are pretty hot and he wavy compared to an xc lid.

As above I’m not sure what standards they are tested to so they may offer little over a standard helmet.

They are ugly too.

righog
    Free Member

On Reflection re reading the OP, I think the Viper will give your friend just that little bit more protection/confidence. It did for me when i first got it.

Does it really matter what it looks like ? Fat middle aged men in the middle of a forest with other fat middle aged men.

In photo’s I am glad you can’t see my face.

Fat Tron

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘are casco viper helmets any good’ is closed to new replies.