Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Merino Zip-front jersey to replace shrunken On One?
  • alexpalacefan

Hello there,

does anybody know of a zipped front jersey that will replace my On One example?

After a 30 wash, no spin and line dry it’s now suitable for a 6-8 yr old!

So, medium weight, full length zip, rear pockets, sensible price.

Suggestions please,

APF

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

cheap / non-shrinking / strong..

Pick one. 😉

Otherwise: GroundEffect are expensive and nice, in my experience but fall to bits after 6 months (if you use a CamelBak, or stuff the pockets with things heavier than gels)…. erm… so that’s both ‘cheap’ and ‘strong’ gone from the above, then 😕

u02sgb
    Free Member

I got the DHB merino zip neck from wiggle and have been pretty happy with it. Been through quite a few 40 degree washes with no ill effect.

<edit> oops, no rear pockets or full length zip

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Hey, that happened to me too.

It went from the right size, to muscle top after the first wash, and afer the second wash it’s now a suitable size for 3 1/2 year old!

I can’t accept it should shrink so badly. A little but not half size surely???

karnali
    Free Member

i have a five year old looking for a merino cycling top 😉

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have a heavywheight merino Icebreaker top, half length zip, good high collar for cold and thumb loops on the sleeves. Great top for winter.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

^^^^ Does it have rear pockets though, eh…? Eh…? Does it..? ^^^^

😉

alexpalacefan

Pockets not a deal breaker, full length zip a must-have though. I’m too lazy to take helmet off when changing jacket!

So, nothing out there?

APF

Nipper99
    Free Member

might have, might have ………….

no, it doesn’t.

tomaso
    Free Member

I was really pleased with my On ONe merino zip top and first ride out enjoyed wearing it up and around Rydal/Grassmere. Did not enjoy seeing it come out of the cool delicate wash in small child size.

Previously I had a Howies one and it was perfect in every way save for being a little short in the arm – should’ve sent it back on day 1 for next size up.

samuri
    Free Member

One-one merino is great after it’s been through the wash, no?

Mini Jersey by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

Dino
    Free Member

I have an one one zip up merino top
    (was a zip up top) now a short sleeve crop top!!
    Rubbish

jfeb
    Free Member

Have you guys tried complaining to On-One? This is not great feedback.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I did try complaing to On One. Their response was a bit… umm.. Yorkshire.

Lad down the phone:

‘Oh yeah, my On One merino socks do that, it’s pretty normal with the merino, but once you’ve got them on they’re okay. You can return it if you like we’ll send you another one..’

Something about Einstein’s definition of madness sprang to mind, so I didn’t bother… 😐

alexpalacefan

Found one, courtesy of Charlie the Bikemonger.

Dropped an e-mail to good ol’ Mum, and I think she’s having a word with Santa on my behalf.

It’s all good

APF

Stoner
    Free Member

I have three On-One merino base layers (the black ones – one t, one long, and one 3/4 long zip.) and theyre fine. washed at 40degs with everything else, Fairy non-bio powder. Not shrunk.

alexpalacefan

This is the zip front mid layer with On One across the front, as shown in Samuri’s pic. Agreed the base layers are pretty good.

APF

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

was about to put mine in washing machine a few weeks ago when Mrs S stopped me “are they wool ?….I’ll hand wash them for you. They’ll shrink in’t machine.” She’s spent 25 years looking after me, she knows best

jamiec360
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of icebreaker 260 tops with zips I got for skiing and they’re fantastic, will be using one of them tomorrow out on the bike, not too cheap think they were about £60 each but that was 4 years ago and they still look like new. Wash them at 40 with all the rest of my gear and not had any problems.

Did quite fancy the on one top here but maybe give it a miss now… But you reckon the base layers are ok?

alexpalacefan

Yeah the base layers are fine, although I still treat them very gently. 30 degrees and drip dry.

As you can see, the thicker mid-layers are suspect. I’d stay clear if I were you.

APF

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Merino Zip-front jersey to replace shrunken On One?’ is closed to new replies.