Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Merino tops, where from?
  • CHB

embers is the best I have had.
    Washes better than smartwool.

LabGear
    Free Member

Ahh but Bonsetter, you must compare apples with apples :). We use a 100% Merino with no polyester – ie Smartwool or any other number of Merino Laminates. As such the textiles will react differently from one another.

That said yes, Merino, pure Merino, does hold moisture, like many other materials if you sweat enough, the big thing is the moisture does not impact the thermal its regulation properties and pure merino does not 'collect' odour, unlike anything with polyester in it.

In regards to our UK distributor… well, not so much any more but Scott, our old UK distributor, at Otagocyclesport does have some of our Merino kit in store still.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I got a merino top in a sale in the end, I'm impressed with it, can't say I noticed it holding more moisture than a manmade fibre, about the same I'd say, keeps me warm and after riding saturday and sunday it still smells fresh – I'm usually stinking up my poly stuff in about 20 mins! My pertex windproof that I had on the outside is starting to pong but not as much as normal… Good stuff! 😀

Now, can I get an outer layer in stuff that doesn't pong-up, windproof merino top?

bonesetter
    Free Member

LabGear – Member

Ahh but Bonsetter, you must compare apples with apples :). We use a 100% Merino with no polyester – ie Smartwool or any other number of Merino Laminates. As such the textiles will react differently from one another.

That said yes, Merino, pure Merino, does hold moisture, like many other materials if you sweat enough, the big thing is the moisture does not impact the thermal its regulation properties and pure merino does not 'collect' odour, unlike anything with polyester in it.

In regards to our UK distributor… well, not so much any more but Scott, our old UK distributor, at Otagocyclesport does have some of our Merino kit in store still.

I really like the Lab-Gear tops I got from you, fully bespoke with extra long length – now that's something the others don't do! and tbh, any top I wear mountain biking, summer or winter always ends up soaked.

NZCol

A very interesting thread this one for me at the moment.

I have to be a bit vague here for legal reasons but I am just putting some $ into a company who has a track record of fantastic gear a lot of which is merino based. Some specifically manufactured merino based fabrics which are all locally manufactured and assembled.

So anyway, one of my target markets is the MTB market and GE obviously has quite a following in the UK. I'm interested to understand what exactly drives that if anyone is interested in responding:
    1) Quality
    2) Delivery/returns speed/ease
    3) colours
    4) NZ made ?
    Yeah so i guess we'll be in competition but we already are. I want to move this to the next level as the stuff is quite simply brilliant – i used to pay full price for it because it lasts and its the best technical gear i have ever used (and we were sponsored by IB at the time as well !!).

LabGear
    Free Member

bonesetter – Member
    I really like the Lab-Gear tops I got from you, fully bespoke with extra long length – now that's something the others don't do! and tbh, any top I wear mountain biking, summer or winter always ends up soaked.

Ahh, you're too kind 🙂

LOL on the soaked bit. I remember when testing our lightweight fabric one summer, I was on our roof (pretending to be a roofer) in 35 deg C. I got hot, got wet and stayed that way. I ended up doing the same thing in a poly performance fabric and then a cotton. Heat regulation wise, it just didn't matter as the end result was the same – I got hot and then sweaty, then wet, leading me to start wearing Merino all year around and in silly heat, wearing as little as decently possible. In winter though is when I notice the most difference, where even after it gets soaked, the Merino kept me warm.

Interesting stuff these sheep.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I got an Icebreaker on sunday as a Valentine gift 😀

Or maybe she was hinting that I'm stinky 😐

LabGear
    Free Member

A very interesting thread this one for me at the moment.

Yeah so i guess we'll be in competition but we already are. I want to move this to the next level as the stuff is quite simply brilliant – i used to pay full price for it because it lasts and its the best technical gear i have ever used (and we were sponsored by IB at the time as well !!).

NZCol…… Hmmmmm. Sounds like N-Zo to me….

Simply put, GE have been around a very long time, are very good at what they do and work damn hard at it. I can't fault their operation in any way.

There's no easy road unless you have BIG bucks to saturate the media, and event then, that can be short lived.

james-o
    Free Member

PSA – Uniqlo do great merino tops at £12-15, thin, round or v-neck, make great base layers.

NZCol

Labgear nah not n-zo sorry but have used some their gear too.
    I actually don't rate ib any more the tops disintegrate quickly and quality poorer than of old. We've used that norsewear ge salomon etc and still seek perfection. Anyway once it's all signed I'll let you know the details 😉

LabGear
    Free Member

If you have been unsure about Merino, or just the idea of free stuff, here's an easy way to try it out! Lab-Gear comp for Feb: 5 reasons we should give you a free Merino Crew top? Enter here 🙂

mudpup
    Free Member

Try a Vangard base layer if you can find them. Not merino but massively good quality MTS Dacron synthetic. You can wash them at 90deg so you kill the bacteria that causes the stink. Used by german police and troops in the gulf wars and seriously unheard of.
    Sizing is normal – get a large if u r a large.
    Tested in a Scandinavian Which report on ski base layers and shifted moisture twice as quick as a Helly when measured – and you really notice it.
    Best i've ever used.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Merino tops, where from?’ is closed to new replies.