Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • "Mega" or "Five" You decide for me (maybe!)
  • stevede
    Free Member

I’m sure you wouldn’t have been disappointed with either option but the Five is a good if expensive choice. I’ve got a 2012 17″ Five with maxle rear, didn’t realise at the time of ordering that the rear shock that comes as standard has been down specced to a float rl this year but after initial issues this is working fine now – i initially found that, as with the rp23 on my old Five if i ran the right amount of sag, on bigger compressions it would blow through it’s travel too easily and bottom out, especially on drops but if i ran more air pressure it didn’t track as well. A quick call to Mojo and they recommended i fit a medium spacer from the air volume tuning kit http://www.mojostore.co.uk/acatalog/Air_Spring_Volume_Tuning_Kit.html
    Since then i’ve been able to run my desired sag (about 30%) without bottoming out, even on bigger drops. I’m 14st kitted up so if your a lighter rider you may not have any issues.
    ferrit32 – making me wish i’d gone for black instead of red seeing pics of yours, looks even nicer with the CCDB.

jambalaya
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mlIYEdRFQu4[/video]

@Polisherman – enjoy the bike, gut feel is there for a reason

ferrit32
    Free Member

creamegg – Member
    yeah i do like that. nearly as nice as mine!

need some orange pedals though to match the orange bits! and a seatpost clamp

I didn’t want to over egg the pudding with the orange bits to be fair. The seat post has been switched to a Hope Eternity now and managed to blag a pair of black On One thinnies the other day during the half price feeding frenzy.

I am toying with having the forks sprayed black to match the frame and switching cables outers and hoses to black/carbon to stealthy it up a little bit more.

I know some people think the above Guy Martin factory tour video doesn’t show the quality of engineering in its best light but I personally think it shows that the guys building these have a real passion for what they do.

creamegg
    Free Member

I didn’t want to over egg the pudding with the orange bits to be fair

yeah there is a danger of that I guess. does look nice though!

gsp1984
    Free Member

CCDB on the five is awesome, try and ride a five with one fitted.

I had the factory RP23 (loved the propedal) but it never felt quite right.

The CCDB transformed the bike. First ride out after fitting it was a revelation, on rocky climbs I was loosing no traction at all, no noticable pedal bob. Then on the descents it’s just rediculous I was looking for bigger and bigger stuff to launch off as nothing seemed to phase it.

Epic

Mugboo

Bwaarp

Surely they changed the chainstays
    if they were snapping?

bwaarp
    Free Member

It’s up to the bikeshop to swap the chainstay with the redesigned 2012 one on the 2011 models. Just make sure they have.

ask1974
    Free Member

Now you’ve gone and got me thinking about CCDB’s 😯

Here’s mine. Honestly can’t say that I really need a new shock though, right now I can’t see how this bike could be any better/more fun to ride… Off to Afan in April and starting to worry that it’ll break me.

Pretty in Chrome with nice shiny XTR bits…

gsp1984
    Free Member

Looks sweet, I only went 160 and CCDB for my alps trips this year. Was the same set up as yours before.

I’m tempted to go xtr shifters, front and rear mechs and double crankset + cassette. What sizes have you gone for?

Mugboo

Cheers bwaarp, i’ll get on it.

Mugboo

I just built up a Mega with 36 Floats and decent kit.

Had my first ride on Sunday. All local, Bradford woodsy stuff with nice techy sections. Spent a bit of time on a four foot drop off as well.

So far I am very impressed. My last bike was a Hemlock with 100mm rear travel and the same build. I’m definately more trailrider than DH Danny… The Mega with propedal on pedals really well. It handles like my Hemlock but feels a lot stiffer.

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘"Mega" or "Five" You decide for me (maybe!)’ is closed to new replies.