Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Maxxis Advantage XC – how big?
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

as the title really, i have tore the wall on my rear high roller so need to replace, but fancy trying something different but i've heard these inflate pretty large.
    Looking at getting a 2.1 so if anyone has experience of both would be grateful,

Currently have a 2.35 hh on the front

Cheers

james
    Free Member

2.1" Advantage(/Crossmark) are a 'proper' 2.1" size. A bit smaller than a 2.35" Maxxis High Roller(/Minion/Ignitor/Larsen TT/Swampthing ..)
    Not as big as eg Kenda Nevegals (which are only slightly smaller than 2.35" Maxxis)

2.25" Advantage(/Crossmark/Ardent) are very similar in size to a 2.5" High Roller(/Minion). HR has deeper tread, advantage probably has more volume but is lower tread and more round profile though

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

2.1 is only very slightly smaller than a 2.35 high roller, 2.25 advantage is bigger and the 2.4 is gigantic.

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

2.4 is mahoosive! Brilliant on the front tho.

Got a 2.1 on the rear, so dunno… HTH

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

Hi Dan! *waves*

Radioman

Just bought a pair of Ardent 2.4s today for my "AM" bike. They look great & only weigh about 775g so v.light for the size.

These are to replace the Minion 2.35 XC Kevlar Tyres i bought a week ago. I just prefer higher volume so I can run a bit less pressure in them. I used the Minions once and they grip/roll well but I want to go back to big volume as I used to run Schwalbe fat Albert 2.35 before.

The Ardents have a good medium depth tread that looks like it will roll fast. I think they would make a good trail riding tyre. The Advantage tread looks a bit light to me. I tend to keep one set of tyres on my bikes normally & dont change them so i like an "all rounder" design like the Ardent.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Hi Dave x

matt_outandabout

Just put some ardents on my bike this week from classifieds on here. Really impressed how quick they clip along compared to my Mountain Kings. 2.25s and come up noticeably bigger than the 2.25 M'Kings.

duir
    Free Member

I used an Advantage 2.1 and it felt like it was made of paper. The sidewalls seemed to collapse in berms and the rear punctured on almost every decent. That said on less rough ground the advantage rolled super fast. Maybe the 2.4 is a tougher tyre and the ardent looks good too.

To answer your original question Maxxis Tyres usually come up small on their 2.35s and 2.5 minnion/high rollers but the newer tyres are more like proper 2.1/2.4s etc.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Advantage 2.25's come up slightly bigger than the 2.35 high rollers. Whatever you do don't go for the Advantage 2.1's I've gone through 2 of them. They puncture if you even dare look at them. I really like the 2.25's though and they roll pretty quickly use them front and rear if it's not too gloopy. The Ardents look good too, but tread depth is a lot shallower.

Kamikirk
    Free Member

Second the Advantages weakness – used one tubeless till the side wall split about 4mm during a road run. looking for a burlier rear as lost confidence in the Advantage.

mrh86

As what duir said. I used to run a 2.1 on the back of my ti456 and used to get punctures all the time. Chnaged to a 2.35 High roller and pretty much erradicated the problem.

The 2.1 advantages come up to a size similar to that of a 2.35 high roller (a bit smaller maybe). I

RDL-82
    Free Member

cheers people, not too sure now, maybe just stick another high roller on the back, just fancied trying something faster rolling and lighter but not sounding good tbh as dont want to be replacing both tyres just yet.

Any suggestions on a good rear that isnt going to be bigger than the front maybe even try a 2.1 high roller

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Advantage XC – how big?’ is closed to new replies.