Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Maxx D, any good/reliable?
  • JoeBones
    Free Member

Has anyone tried one of these?

Are they any good?

Opinions please?

JoeBones
    Free Member

Anyone?

ShinyRedOrange
    Free Member

Had my first ride out on mine on friday night, i fould it amazing. Super bright and it lasted a lot longer than the times said it would.

The only thing is that it was so bright that my head torch in comparison was about as powerful as a candle.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

FFS!!!!!!

JoeBones
    Free Member

I am using a joystick on the head and a Hope two on the bar, not that good, that said better results when I swap them around, I hate the faff of cables and was considering a Maxx D on the bars with the Joystick on the head.

shortcut

i have a maxx d and am generally pleased with it. This really is a flood but with quite a lot of power. It lasts well, just getting toward half charge after 1.5 to 2 hours on the trails on Maxx setting. So probably good for a whole night out on the next setting down.

I hate helmet lights because I am tall and hit stuff with them but this on its own, on the bars is all you would ever want if riding in a group.

My only minor issue is that it takes a long time to charge up but that isn’t too much of a problem most of the time. You will find it a major improvement on the Hope2.

I am currently using my Maxx D with a Hope 1 pointing almost at the floor because we ride quite a lot of chutes and it is handy to see where I am going in steep transitions before heading over the lip. The hope also makes a good back up. Not that I really need it. You wouldn’t have this issue if you stick with the joystick.

HTH.

shortcut

oh and still reliable 10 rides in.

JoeBones
    Free Member

Anyone else?

JoeBones
    Free Member

Might sell the Hope 2’s in favour of one of these!

sheldona
    Free Member

Just bought one this afternoon after my L&M Arc Ion Ultra died last night. Stood in the garden earlier with it on and it looks comparable to the L&M. Won’t get out on it till next week now.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Cant comment on Maxx D, but had a Maxx Enduro for almost two years, must have been through at least 100 charging cycles, and its still going strong, with no noticable deterioration in battery life. Bought it for no cables and aesthetic appeal (Hope’s are boggin’). Will definitely be getting a Maxx D next.

Moda
    Free Member

Used a Max D and a Hope Vision 4 in last years D2D, settled on the vision 4 as they give a better spread of light and a more mellow light emission. Maxx D is good but light is very white and concentrated. Its probably down to your personal preference.

sweep
    Free Member

Got a Maxx D and a Joystick for head. Both have been faultless. I was using twin Lumicycle HID on the bars but due to bike swapping and road biking use too I sold the HIDs and went for the Maxx D cos it was all in one without all the wires and faffing. I was impressed enough with Joystick I had used to just go for it. I have a QR bracket on each bike, although they charge too much for them in my opinion. Glad I do cos I can just clip it on in two seconds flat and ride and know its exactly aimed in the same place every single time.

Not as bright as twin HID was but that was overkill anyway really (more like 1 and a half HIDs but not as scorchingly white as the HIDs), the Maxx D is plenty bright enough. Does take much longer to charge (up to 12 hours I think) so gotta plan a little more but you get used to that immediately.

But for ease of use, as in ‘no faffing around’ it’s just fanstastic. I wouldn’t want anything brighter myself on the bars so I don’t actually miss the scorching brightness of the twin HID at all. Soon forget what its like to have hanging cables, batteries to secure, connections to work loose and then boxes to keep it in and different bike’s issues for best fit to get everything out of the way and tidy. Yeah, tis good.

JoeBones
    Free Member

Cant wait to get my hands on mine!

JoeBones
    Free Member

?Any other Maxx D owners

PLUGGER
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve had one since October, sold my Hope 4led due to rubbish velcro strap holding clumpy battery in place. The beam pattern of the Maxx D is far better than the Hope, throwing a lot more light forwards rather than dispersing it sideways. No reliability issues, even in the snow, mud and rain. A brillant light.

JoeBones
    Free Member

Excellent!

AndyNot@CRC
    Free Member

Yes, what Plugger said…

JoeBones
    Free Member

I have had Lupines, Hopes and various other lights, I hate the faff of wires and battery packs, I had some of the earliest USEless lights and they were terrible.

It seems that these new ones are sorted in terms of reliability.

PLUGGER
    Free Member

…oh, and just to top it off, I use mine for commuting 5 days a week, as well as weekly off-road rides, so I can truly say it’s proved reliable so far. I have 2 friends who had issues early on with their 2 and 3 led exposure lights, sent them back to USE and were fixed within 10 days and have had no problems since.

STATO
    Free Member

ive got a MaxxD on the bars and Joystick on the lid and its a great combo. Initially i was a little disapointed with the MaxxD, just didnt seem to have much over my Lumi 12/20 combo that’d id sold to a mate, until i rode with him that is, outshone the lumi even in Mid mode and outlasted by a mile, not to mention the ease of removal once we got to the car :0)

I also use them for commuting, not much call now its getting lighter but the Maxx was nice to have on the bars in Low mode to accompany my aging and tempremental Lumi commuter light. Id just run the MaxxD but the Lumi glow ring has superior side visibility!

IMG_0144
    DSC_0028

:0)

squishy
    Free Member

You might want to consider Tiger Lights – they have a 10% discount at the moment http://www.tigerlights.co.uk.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Maxx D, any good/reliable?’ is closed to new replies.