Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Max tyre size for Cotic Soul
  • tonyd

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of building up a lovely shiny new (to me) Soul, what's the largest tyre size anyone is running?

I ask as I've just fitted the bottom bracket (Shimano BB70), crankset (XT M760 I think), front mech (XTR M970), rear wheel (with cassette), and chain. This is all old kit being moved from a donor bike and the tyres are Intense something or other 2.25s, they come up big but there's probably less than a mm of clearance between the tyre shoulder and the the mech.

Now it could be that once I set up the stops on the mech I've got a bit more clearance but this doesn't look right at all, I can't find any data on the Cotic site about max tyre sizes, can anyone help? (Cy?!)

Hopefully I've stupidly missed something simple as I don't really want to have to buy some new tyres and I only have 2.25 Cinders (prob too bog too) or 2.1 Trailrakers (no good in the dry!).

Thanks,

Tony

Zukemonster
    Free Member

On the cotic site it says up to 2.4 tyres. If you lookat the soul picture and click on the rear triangle it tells you.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

The mech will (should) move in over the chainstay once you've set it up. Then it'll be the stays which dictate the tyres

I'm running some 2.3 Kendas on mine at low pressure which are quite fat.

dicky
    Free Member

Interesting, I've been toying with the idea of buying one for a while now but lack of suffient tyre clearance would probably be a deal breaker. I normally run either 2.4 Racing Ralph or 2.4 Nobby Nic on my hardtail rear, has anyone tried these on a Soul and was there enough clearance?

brooess
    Free Member

I run Rampage 2.35s without a problem and they're pretty broad. Used to run Cinder 2.25s and they were fine too

tonyd

Just to clarify and put dicky at ease – there is a mile of clearance between the chainstays/BB and the 2.25s I had on, the lack of clearance is between the actual front mech and the shoulder of the tyre so this is no doubt something that will work out once I get the mech set up properly.

I really just wanted to make sure it wasn't limited to a 2.2 or something silly and hadn't seen the 2.4 listed on the Cotic site.

cy

Tyre clearance isn't a problem, and once you've set up the front mech finely it'll clear too. I've had 2.35" Bonty Big Earls, 2.4 Bonty XDX, 2.5" Maxxis Minnion DH in the back of mine with no trouble. The only tyre that have ever caught on the frame (and even then it was during cornering with low tyre pressures) was a Maxxis ADvantage 2.4", which is so tall it moved further into the taper of the stays than any of the other tyres.

khani
    Free Member

running bonty acx 2.35 tr's on mine which are mahoosive but fit ok, more like 2.5 in size, no problems so far, loads of room in the seatstays, bit tighter in the chainstays but no rubbidge yet

Zukemonster
    Free Member

I'm thinking of putting 2.4 rubber queens on mine. Anybondy know if these will fit?

Thanks.

Klunk
    Free Member

kenda nevegals 2.35 rub on the mech when in the granny on mine.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Klunk adjust the limiting screw – I run the same and used to get this but its easily fixed. HY

johnners
    Free Member

Conti Diesels will foul the mech, but who'd use them?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Zukemonster – the 2.4 Rubber Queens are pretty epic in size. If Cy had some fouling with the 2.4 Advans I'd expect the same from Rubber Queens.

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk adjust the limiting screw – I run the same and used to get this but its easily fixed. HY

it's was already on the limit any more and it wouldn't drop onto the granny so i went for a smaller tyre.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Max tyre size for Cotic Soul’ is closed to new replies.