Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Matlock, Derbyshire – any good riding?
  • greasystain
    Free Member

I’m lucky enough to be spending a long weekend with friends in Matlock, Derbyshire soon. One of these friends happens to enjoy a bit of MTB but none of us are familiar with the area.

Is there any good riding to be had around there?

amber valley down the road used to have some sweet downhill in, there is bound to be plenty of riding! Alternatively its only about a 30/40 min drive to some of the best riding in the dark peak!

greasystain
    Free Member

where’s that then?

what amber valley or the dark peak?

greasystain
    Free Member

Er yeah – both – I’m completely unfamiliar with the area. Are there any routes published anywhere?

Ok well Ambergate is a short run in a car south of Matlock, as your coming out of it (toward Derby) there is a BP (i think) turn right down a small lane and park up there is a 4×4 track which heads off into the woods and ducks through an old abandoned factory. There are (or were) trails a plenty in there.

As for the dark peak there are loads of classic rides headed out from Ladybower reservoir or Hope etc. Eighteen bikes in Hope will be able to sell you a guide book? Or there are probably lots of routes on the net?

Anyway good luck!

Hanky

Still plenty of stuff at Shining Cliff Woods, also around Black Rocks.

North and West of Matlock you have Sandy Woods, Seventy Acre Plantation and around Beeley Moor, as well as Chatsworth routes…

iain1775
    Free Member

Greasystrain drop me an email to remind me I’ll fire you over some route ideas

simon1975

Here’s one of mine from just up the road:

http://www.justgoride.co.uk/Content/Routes/Viewer.aspx?id=455

Click “Routes nearby” and you’ll find plenty of loops, including the routes which have been published in the popular VG books.

jamest
    Free Member

So are we publiclly promoting riding at shining cliff woods now? Surely any locals to the area know of it’s dodgy status as for riding ie it’s tolerated not encouraged due to large parts of the woods having SSSI status, and some Downhillers knocking down an historic wall some years ago, please stop encouraging riding here, if you know about it keep it to yourself so local riders can continue to enjoy it!

LS
    Free Member

Ambergate is a short run in a car south of Matlock

Why the hell would you take the car to Ambergate when it’s no more than a 15-20 minute ride down the canal towpath? 😆

benman
    Free Member

Get the VG Graphics White Peak book if you’re new to the area. Lots of riding straight from Matlock. Cheeky stuff is difficult to build into a good ride unless you know some locals to show you round.

greasystain
    Free Member

Looks like we are actually staying in Wirksworth but it sounds like there’s plenty of good riding!

Thank you guys.

I love that ‘just go ride’ site.

IAIN – I have sent you a mail.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Matlock, Derbyshire – any good riding?’ is closed to new replies.