Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mark Ronson – music on 4..
  • martinxyz
    Free Member

I dont know much about music but for the people out there thinking the guy is coming up with a whole new thang.. i think he’s just a bit behind the times.

I’m thinking of Hexstatic/Coldcut with the like’s of their AV track “Timber” that is now 14 years old.

:::pause::

Yes, fourteen years old. It just makes what Ronson is trying to do look so stale.

Have i seriously missed something vital here in the way he’s producing it that’s so different?

I’m also willing to hear of other artists/dj’s that were doing stuff along the lines of timber before 98.

Rant over!

dogbert
    Free Member

As a producer, he doesn’t seem to do much other than replicate other peoples sounds. After his, lets face it, album of covers, one of my mates said “all he’s done is add some horns to other folks songs” …..he wasn’t wrong either.

I suppose you have to get influences from somewhere, but i do see the Hexstatic link

stanfree
    Free Member

He’s no James Lavelle or Howie B put It that way.

That said his remixes are way better than **** Tiesto and David Guetta not too mention Dangermaus.

Clobber
    Free Member

The guy is awesome… Listen to his earlier stuff..

rewski
    Free Member

He produces a good sound, that’s not easy even with the best studio in the world. Coldcut where from the birth of the cut & paste era, a true innovation, but I would say that because I was part of it. Music is great now but pretty quiet as far as innovation is concerned, glitch hop, grime and dubstep is pushing some boundaries.

DezB
    Free Member

He clever in that he knows what is commercial and works with that. Good at what he does but I can’t stand his stuff.

yunki
    Free Member

he produces not just a good sound but a great sound.. and his brass section ‘the haggis horns’ are a joy to watch live.. so much energy and breathtaking syncopation..

coldcut and hextatic were very dated 14 years ago if you knew where to look.. they only brought their slick brand of cut and paste to the mainstream.. ( and it was very slick.. and lush.. and I can still listen to it every day even now..)
    What about Bomb the Bass and Tim Simenon..?

try this for the ‘innovators’

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxsYrfKf_pc[/video]

surely double d and steinski are the cut and paste kings.. and weren’t the hip hop, house and rave scenes built on it..?

Greg Wilson on cut n paste

yunki
    Free Member

I should probably wind my neck in a bit.. 😳

I’ve just spent some time reading more about the subject.. matt black and jonothan more have been at it for much longer than I remembered.. (or have I just been enjoying their music for longer than I knew..? )

I’m even more confused as to why you’re drawing comparisons between ronson and coldcut now though.. or am I missing something..?

spacemonkey

Commercially clever, but an arrogant cock.

martinxyz
    Free Member

It wasn’t so much who is/were the best cut and paste kings. With what he was doing the other night on 4.. I just thought that Coldcut’s/Hxstc’s “timber” was not only way better and way ahead of it’s time.. but it had the visuals to boot as well. All in one package. I just couldn’t see Mark Ronson doing anything near that level, but as per usual.. the way things are in many circles in life.. the best at their game rarely get heard of because they get stomped on by the mainstream crap that J.Public get lured to.

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone else used to listen to coldcut solid steel on the wireless?

Ronson’s slright i think. liked that bang bang bang track.

RustySpanner

He’s the Pete Waterman of the naughties.

Music as McDonalds, it’s always the same.

DezB
    Free Member

I just found out I’ve got some stuff produced by him. Not all as bad as I thought then.

Del

He’s the Pete Waterman of the naughties.

that’s a bit harsh IMO.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Listen to recordings/downloads of it on most bike rides,chaka!

maccruiskeen

Anyone else used to listen to coldcut solid steel on the wireless?

not when it was on the wireless – been consuming a lot of the podcasts though

chakaping
    Free Member

Recordings from back in the day martin?

I will cjeck out the podcasts.

yunki
    Free Member

Hexstatic presents Holotronica in 3D

Pushing audiovisual entertainment to the next level, Hexstatic present Holotronica – in 3D! Glasses will be provided on the door to see this groundbreaking show from the AV pioneers in which stereoscopic visuals will be projected onto a custom-made silver mesh screen for full holographic effect. Holotronica is a groundbreaking concept combining analog synthesizers with real time midi-triggered visuals, set in time with the beats and pulses of Hexstatic’s music. The night is completed by sets from DJ Cheeba and Public Service Broadcasting.

London Village Underground on Saturday 28th April..

so there you go..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Mark Ronson – music on 4..’ is closed to new replies.