Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Manualling: Getting the front up, 1/4 crank turn or lean back and push forward?
  • GEDA
    Free Member

Just wondering as the pedalling method seems to be a little better for getting the balance point but the lean back method and push forward/pivot on the pedals seems to be a smoother getting up but less easy to control flipping out.

Which is the best long term method? I have managed a manual of 10m now but needed a bit more advice on technique. Being able to track stand then playing about with the technique helped a lot.

Clink

managed a manual of 10m

crikey you're a god! 😮 (presuming you mean height?!)

poppa
    Free Member

Not an expert, but I think most riders do not pedal to initiate a manual. Instead get the bike to pivot under you by pumping down/forward with arms/legs. Rear brake is your friend for stopping looping out.

P.S I think he means manualling for 10m in the horizontal direction.

DrP

Pull back and push forward FTW!
    Pedal turn is good for practice (i.e. getting you into the balancing), but has to be 'pedal-less' to be "reet proper"!

Try it downhill (slight slope) as it's a bit easier.

You going to the PdS this year?

DrP

GEDA
    Free Member

My manual

How did you guess?

mboy
    Free Member

I thought the whole point of a manual was that it's "manual"

ie. you don't pedal…

Pedalling and lifting the front wheel is a wheelie, is it not?

GEDA
    Free Member

Hi DrP. No tickets yet but hope so, just waiting for the crashed site to get up and running again. They must be having some serious problems with it.

We have had a foot of snow here in Sweden for 2 months so the only biking I am doing is practising skills in the park.

theflatboy
    Free Member

depends how fast you're going – if you're going really slowly sometimes a slight pedal input is required to help out.

GEDA
    Free Member

Any reasons why not to add a bit of tension by putting the pedals from 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock accept its not proper?

DrP

Well, the pedals will invariably move a bit won't they!
    As long as it's not a full/half pedal turn to get you up, you can join my gang….

DrP

tracknicko
    Free Member

ig you have to pedal it aint a manual. and you have performed what is known in bmx as a 'bitch crank'

all about the lean. the pull on the bars is of minor importance compared to the lean and the body position.

poppa
    Free Member

I think if you are travelling at speed it very hard to lift the bike by pedalling (little torque). If you are travelling slowly then using the pedals is fine, but if you only learn one technique maybe it's best to be able to do it without?

GEDA
    Free Member

I don't really care that I am doing it right or not. All I want is the best way to get the front wheel up and keep it there while perfectly balanced and wheelying for ever. Not too much to ask.

tracknicko
    Free Member

no no no to pedalling. get yourself to a bmx track. learn to manual between doubles. you genuinely CAN'T put in a little pedal. much better for learning.

GEDA
    Free Member

I can do both with about equal success but there is more timing with the "proper" manual. Still can't seem to stretch my self out enough to keep and good balance point. Can't get to grips with feathering the brakes either, I think its due to me not leaning far enough back so there is not enough weight to counteract the brakíng.

eichler
    Free Member

When are you going to get down the bmx track and learn to manual Nick?! Still haven't serviced my rear hub. Will do it tonight. You night riding next week?

tracknicko
    Free Member

manualling's all i can do as you well know.

rding always mate, when im not releiving myself of course.

weds and fri next week hopefully.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Manualling: Getting the front up, 1/4 crank turn or lean back and push forward?’ is closed to new replies.