Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Manchester Velodrome
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Do they do taster sessions? can anyone turn up, etc?

i guess they provide bikes? any options on pedals?

tragically1969
    Free Member

Yes they do taster sessions, yes anybody can turn up, give them a call or check the British Cycling website

You can usually take your own pedals to put on the hire bikes otherwise its clips and straps

ourmaninthenorth

mrmo – without wishing to say "Google it", er, google it.

Yes, they do.

No you can't just turn up – you have to book.

Yes, hire bikes are included in the price for taster sessions.

You can ride in trainers with clips and straps, or use clipless shoes with Look Delta cleats (all the bikes are fitted with Look Delta pedals – you can hire shoes for £3.50.

HTH

Coleman
    Free Member

Yes they do. Best to book.

Yes they provide bikes. Hire Look shoes or ride in trainers.

It's a blast. £9.60 includes bike plus £4.00 for shoes for 1 hour.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Sorry i did mean anybody can turn up as in its open to the general public but of course you have to book, i thought that was a given !!

DickieS
    Free Member

Go for it, you will have a great time. Unfortunately, the velodrome is effectively closed for the next three weeks for the national champs, world cup and paralympic world champs. Not great for public training but a great way to see some top class riding if you can get some tickets!

Hope you get on there soon.

Richard

crazy-legs

As DickieS says, there's a lot of work going on at the moment to get the track ready for the World Cup and ParaCycling (runs from 22nd to 31st Oct). Tickets are still available for some days, well worth going along to see how the pros do it!

The only thing you're allowed to alter on the hire bikes is saddle height. Too much hassle and too many stripped cranks and bolts etc in the past from people trying to put their own pedals on or fit a different set of bars. If you don't use Look pedals you can hire a set of shoes for £3.50 (they're clean, new-ish and de-odourised after each use).

Oh and remember, speed is your friend, especially when you're at the top of the banking!

ourmaninthenorth

Oh and remember, speed is your friend, especially when you're at the top of the banking!

Including when your rear wheel locks up and the only way is straght doooooooowwwwwwwwn.

(OK, I wasn't at the top – only on the blue – and ought to have checked the rear axle nuts were tight before riding my new bike on the track in a cheeky use of a taster session as a shakedown run. Stayed upright, though – you can see the nice big skid going into the far banking 😀 )

mrmo
    Free Member

just looking at the website for Manchester and it says you must not use Michelin tyres? why?? i am guessing the compound doesn't work but.

crazy-legs

They make nasty marks on the clean wood. They also don't grip as well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Manchester Velodrome’ is closed to new replies.