Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Man down man down. Montreux..
  • flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Following on from the earlier post…

We had to call out the Air ambulance for a mate of ours yesterday.. not in Cut Gate, but on Rochers de Naye – in Switzerland. We were up at around 1700m hammering down the walkers track when something stopped his bike dead. He then stopped shortly afterwards by way of a trail side tree and his head. The result was not pretty – smashed his Xen into pieces. He suffered a 3 inch open gash on his forehead (I've now seen a real live human skull!) and a broken hand. He was a bit out of it for a while understandably whilst we tried to stop him moving, cover up the wound with a big bandage. Then the emergency services were called and around 20minutes later a chopper was hovering over us with a portly bald man being winched down to sort him out.

The guy was a star – professional and amusing – and got our mate up and out of there in 20 minutes and down to Montreux hospital in no time. Proper swiss efficiency for you.

The result – a CT scan revealed no fractures to the skull or neck, just a big wound that needed stitches – and he had to have an op on his hand to fit a plate in there.

He's now in good spirits and on his way back home (Morzine) this afternoon after a night in the hospital.

I have no doubt that the Xen saved his life.

p.s. a Dakine Nomad backpack is strong enough to carry a heckler minus wheels down the mountain to the car – not something they advertise on the packaging!

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Well done flow.

According to some of the responses to my Cut Gate post you probably did the wrong thing by calling in the emergency services. You should have just told the rider to MTFU and ride down 😀

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

in my book a potential broken skull = helicopter. 🙂

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Damn right! Glad I own a Xen too. Prob the best £90 the rider spent in a long time.

glenh
    Free Member

I agree. I walked down, pushing my bike, with a broken collar bone and big gash a few weeks ago in the alps, but a head/neck injury is different kettle of fish.

Good to see the swiss keeping up their usual standards. Hope he had insurance mind. Trips in the big flying taxi don't come cheap!

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

insurance policy is about to be tested…

makes the 30 swiss franc 'donation' to rega.ch (swiss air rescue service) seem worth while to avoid any chance of paying for the chopper.

jonathan
    Free Member

makes the 30 swiss franc 'donation' to rega.ch (swiss air rescue service) seem worth while to avoid any chance of paying for the chopper.

Ooh – good information. It's like always paying for the Carte Neige on your ski pass, despite having good insurance – if you need it then you'll be really glad of not having any more hassle than necessary!

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Was it wrong for me to snigger at the phrase "big gash"?

IdleJon

KingofBiscuits – Member
    Well done flow.

According to some of the responses to my Cut Gate post you probably did the wrong thing by calling in the emergency services. You should have just told the rider to MTFU and ride down

Don't you see the difference?

nasher
    Free Member

Similar incident with a mate ofmine Morzine abot 10 years ago….2 severed wrists!!!! (well the bone was)

The chopper blades were about a couple of feet above our heads.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Man down man down. Montreux..’ is closed to new replies.