Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mains powered garage lighting?
  • matthew_h
    Free Member

I’m hoping to make my garage a more useable workspace now we don’t have a car that will fit in it but there is no lighting in there and no power. I was thinking about fitting some fluorescent tubes and having them all set up so I can run an extension lead over from the house and just plug them in when I need them.

I’ve had a search about on google but I’m struggling to find anything mains powered that isn’t designed for worktop lighting in kitchens and hence much too small to light a garage.

Can anyone help or am I on a hiding to nothing and needing a re-think?

Stoner
    Free Member

You can just buy some strip lamp holders and fit to the ceiling, then wire them with flex to a 3pin plug. Cheap as.

Or if you want posher, go for site lighting (240v)

http://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/site-lights/cat840794

eg for £23:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/double-tripod-site-light-2-x-400w-240v/71555

or jerry-rig a couple of these to the ceiling, or on shelves.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/portable-work-light-120w-240v/55370

matthew_h
    Free Member

I did wonder whether it was as simple as that but wasn’t sure. Sounds like the way to go then but some of those spots might be worthwhile too. Cheers

brassneck

I run two big fluorescent tubes lengthways in a single garage, light enough for anything really. Dirt cheap and easy to fit. I used Stoners plug solution in a rarely used attic too. just left a long flex on it to drop down to the hall socket.

midlifecrashes

Twin tube striplight.

though for in the garage I’d prefer something with a cover/diffuser to limit the number of times I smash it moving stuff around, they do a waterproof one too, but only in singles. Plenty around once you get your google-fu sorted.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, I think I was just complicating things too much and hence struggling with googling the right stuff.

I think fixing a couple of tubes to the ceiling would seem like the best option. Ones with guards would probably make sense as my garage ceiling is fairly low and I’m fairly tall.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for the above, 2x strip lights, some cable and a plug, lights up my single garrage nicely.

Best to hugely over engineer the cable (I went for 25amp) to keep the voltage drop down to a minimum, especialy as at some point you’ll want to run a drill or something in the garrage.

And fit an RCD plug to it at the house end, just incase.

Stoner
    Free Member

with cabling make sure you’re using flex rather than cable though. the former is designed for regular movement, cable isnt and the copper can fracture.

maccruiskeen

Or if you want posher, go for site lighting (240v)

Those Screwfix sitelights are what me and my colleagues refer to as ‘broken lights’ they’re a catastrophe straight out of the box. In the short period between them being unpacked and broken they’re also very good at setting things on fire. They also suck a lot of power so you need thicker extension leads (and if you coil the lead that’ll catch fire too)

Big halogens are far too bright and shadowy and the site light style ones of the floor or on tripods mean you get all sort of crazy shadows and glare.

strip lights give a much more even light, but aim to have at least two of them spaced out. Cheapest and easiest though for a small space is just put up a handful of bulb holders and some compact florescent bulbs, cable between them with a tail and plug for your extension lead, several light sources will eliminate shadows and even light is better than bright light. They’ll draw even less current than the strip lights so long extensions aren’t a concern, and you’ll have plenty of juice spare for tools and other bits. You’d also be cable get all the bits you’d need from somewhere like Ikea rather than having to seek out trade outlets like screwfix.

matthew_h
    Free Member

That’s an interesting suggestion. I take it you mean using energy saving bulbs like we do in the house but by putting up a good few of them I’d get good even light. Not a bad idea and definitely worth looking into. Thankyou

takisawa2

Stick an ad on your local yahoo freecycle for a flourescent light fittimg. Someones bound to have one.

project
    Free Member

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/Site+Lights/Task+Light+38w+240v/d220/sd2480/p44687
    Ive got one of these for working in peepls houses, when theyre to tight to use decent lights.

Plug into an extension lead, also if you keep it in the van, pliug into an invertor and youve got a really bright light for trail repairs and fettling.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mains powered garage lighting?’ is closed to new replies.