Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mail Order Custom Road Wheels ('Budget') – Where from
  • fubar
    Free Member

I'm after either one (front) or a pair of road wheels (heavy rider, training not racing, further under £200 the better)

The usual candiates of Merlin and CRC don't appear to do custom road sets and of course I'll not use Dave Hinde. So who else ? My last LBS wheel cost plenty more than Merlin yet failed on the first ride so I'm not in a hurry to repeat that experience.

I thought it best (but correct me if I've got this wrong) to avoid the Mavic factory builds as the spokes are less likely to be stocked by shops and as I'm going to 'tour' LEJOG I though it best to get a more common wheel / spoke in case of breakages on route which need prompt attention.

any suggestions for sellers or hub / rim combinations. (Open Pro on 105 hubs is my current idea if I find where to buy them mail-order)

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Spa Cycles ?

Although their 'stock' builds are on Rigida rims generally. But a handbuilt wheelset, 105 on Rigida Chrina is £191.00

peteimpreza

Pete Matthews.

fubar
    Free Member

Pete Matthews.

any idea on price (I can't see a web-site)…you think a pair can be done for under £200 ?

Just checked our Parker International who have a good selection…looking favourites

Duc
    Free Member

Ambrosio do some (handbuilt off the shelf wheels that would be pretty good – db spokes, ambrosio rims and sealed bearing ambrosio hubs – I think Pearosn or GB cycles had a few pairs but the list price on them is about £200 from memory

cheers_drive

2nd hand DA or Ultegra on Open Pros?

MisterT

give Harry Rowland an eMail… he does all sorts, from the budget end to the top end.. and he is the best imo. he'll build average hubs and rims and make them into brilliant wheels that you can rely on for years to come.

Tyredocter
    Free Member

Don't laugh, Edinburgh Bicycle Coop do budget wheels and have branded hubs and rims plus are super light.

ourmaninthenorth

I know a (part-time) wheel builder who will be able to help.

Mail me and I'll pass you his details.

Tom

fubar
    Free Member

Don't laugh, Edinburgh Bicycle Coop do budget wheels

I'm not laughing…reason I need new wheels is whilst loading my road bike into the car outside Ed Bike Coop (in manchester) I left my front wheel lent against the car and forgot about it, drove home and didn't realise I'd left it behind until an hour later.

I think I've ordered wheels from Paul Hewit in Leyland – I say 'think' because they haven't taken a deposit and when I emailed a small spec change and haven't heard anything back – will ring later in week. Not the cheapest – had to change hubs to Tiagra with Open pro rims to just get under £200. Cheaper from Parker but reputation is good and I can drive there if I need.

If anything goes wrong with the order I'll drop you an email Tom (

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mail Order Custom Road Wheels ('Budget') – Where from’ is closed to new replies.