Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Magicshine/DX lights – Feedback from users
  • jlc
    Free Member

Looking at maybe investing in some new lights to replace lumicycle halogens. Just wondered whether people have been impressed by the magicshine/dx lights after using them a while. Are they still worth getting or is there something else coming out soon to replace it?
    Any feedback would be useful, especially seeing people may have used them at Sleepless and Mayhem. Are they bright enough or are people using brighter lights making the magicshine/dx outdated now.
    Thanks

Pook

my DX battery pack got a royal soaking last year and conked out (think Noah-esque levels of wet though) – replaced with a Smudge battery and it's been spot on since. Great little lamp.

Ewan
    Free Member

I've had mine for a year, they do the job pretty well, esp for the price.

retro83
    Free Member

Love mine, it's one of the older style ones not the 'mickey mouse' new ones with three lamps.

If I had one criticism, it would be that the battery does not look very well sealed.

uplink
    Free Member

The battery pack is easy enough to seal with some self-amalgamating tape
    Mines been though all sorts of weather & even totally submerged without so much as a hiccough

You can't beat them for the money IMO

z1ppy

Mine's been great, though it look like the battery has now given up the ghost (1 year old exactly), for £50 it's been spot on though.

neil853
    Free Member

ran mine for a year also with no problems, i would take the advice about sealing the battery and then you'll be fine. Bargain.

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

Retro: [/quote]If I had one criticism, it would be that the battery does not look very well sealed.

Indeed… Suggesting I ride through that river certainly knackered mine…

vinnyeh

mine's been fine after last winter. Helmet mount with a wee extension cable from Maplin means the battery can be easily tucked in a waterproof bag inside a jersey or jacket pocket.
    Not as convenient as my Exposure Enduro Maxx, though it does light the path better at a fraction of the cost.

retro83
    Free Member

Retro:If I had one criticism, it would be that the battery does not look very well sealed.

Indeed… Suggesting I ride through that river certainly knackered mine…

😳 sorry mate, I'd forgotten that! 😆 It was pretty funny watching your handle bars gradually disappear below the surface though. And, in fairness it didn't look that deep.

tazzymtb

mine has been top banana, and coped with loads of abuse and silly weather conditions.I think I'll get another lamp and a Y splitter and run 2 lamps of a slightly bigger battery for some serious lighthouse emulation 😀

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Smudge batteries; how much? Where from? I've had mine sat doing nothing for 10 months as the battery lasted two rides.

kimbers

we bought earlier in the year

2 have been brilliant one had to be returned as it was faulty

but at those prices its worth taking the hit!

uplink
    Free Member

Smudge batteries; how much? Where from?

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/

You can also get replacements from DX if you want

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32756

0091paddy
    Free Member

Great light. Buy one or two.. 8)

Tiger6791

I like mine, used it loads, was thinking about putting it on my helmet and ordering the Mickey Mouse version

thv3
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the mickey mouse version?

Any feedback on performance?

poppa
    Free Member

Anyone used one as a head-lamp? How did you fix it and was it ok? I see they have 'head-lamp' specific ones, but i'm not sure how i'd use that strap in conjunction with my helmet!

Del

I've had mine sat doing nothing for 10 months as the battery lasted two rides.

why on earth didn't you raise a ticket and send it back? would have cost you about 2 quid.

stanfree
    Free Member

Im going to try mine tonight , but could really do with an extension cable . Anyone know the cheapest place to buy one.?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Bought mine as a back up for Mayhem & Sleepless this year & have ended up using it more than my main light!
    Give out a decent enough amount of light, although I'd say less than the claimed 900lumen.
    Crap fitting onto bars though, get a lot of vibration, so will be making my own bracket for it & no way of attaching the battery back, so use inlusation tape.
    For what they cost though don't think you can really go wrong

greasystain
    Free Member

Mickey Mouse version? Does anyone have a linky???

chappers
    Free Member

My two have been excellent. I did tape up the batteries as a precaution to seal them and I also recommend getting some lumicycle battery bags which are way better than the deal extreme ones. I also use one as a helmet light sometimes with one of these and a cable extension to mount the battery in my camelback. Just don't forget to duck under low branches. They last a good 2.5 hours on full all the time. If you want a more sturdy mounting than the elastic band you can fit a lumicycle mount instead.
    Can't get much better for the price.

bigbob38
    Free Member

used mine for a year now… love it… but put the battery in a balloon 😀

smudge
    Free Member

Stanfree ive got a few extension leads still for sale.

These are the waterproof DX ones too

£4.15 inc p&p

Or Compatible leads still waterproof but not the 'click' fit as the DX

£3.75 inc p&p

Please email me for more info (address in profile)

Smudge

Rio

They seem to have a UK site now – http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/index.php. Prices look a bit steep compared to last year when I bought mine – I paid £50, they have it reduced from £119 to £79 😯

Del

to be fair to the guys @ magicshine, that doesn't sound too bad. uk support/warranty/plugs etc. your turn-around on a fault will probably be measured in days rather than weeks.
    there's nowt wrong with the service from DX direct in my experience though. i had a few torches to return, and once i'd sent them the pics of the PO receipt of post, they shipped out replacements ASAP.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Why didn't I return it? I'm a man, so I tried to fix it myself. And **** it up.

Smudge, do you have a price including delivery for a replacement battery? Do you do any longer-life batteries for them at all? The battery lasted a couple of hours on full beam, could do with bit longer really, cheers!

Thinking it will make a good head-torch when I buy a proper light, so yeah, probably need an extension lead too.

z1ppy

Why didn't I return it? I'm a man, so I tried to fix it myself. And **** it up.

Excellent, just excellent 😀

PhilO
    Free Member

Daft question: Does anybody know what sort of regulation they have built-in? Specifically, does the battery pack have to be ~8.4V, or can you use a higher voltage one?

I find myself wondering if they'd be any good as auxiliary lights on the motorbike… 8)

Jamie
    Free Member

They seem to have a UK site now

If they threw in a decent bracket and dropped the price a tenner I would use them. Think I would rather save the £30 tho and source a decent bracket from somewhere.

Anyone know what aftermarket handlebar mount brackets fit the bastids?

toys19
    Free Member

I've had 8 sets (bought in bulk 5 in one go and 3 in another) 1 set was doa but I got a refund straight away and still have them the other 7 are excellent.

poppa
    Free Member

I've had 8 sets

Do you use them all at once? 😯

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I bought one about this time last year and used it though the winter. I did tape the battery up before I used it and I have a big velcro strap (It's an L&M one) to secure the battery. I use the smaller O ring to mount it on my oversize bars as it's tighter.

Sometimes the switch acts a bit random but otherwise it's been absolutely fine.

I did an overnight ride and borrowed a spare battery for it, but using it maily on low beam, and turning off when stopped, it lasted all night on one charge. I reckon I got a good 7 hours out of the battery, so 2hrs more than it should last. I was trying to time it to see how long it would last but gave up becasue I got bored. It might have been 8hrs + I dunno really!

To be brutally honest, I honestly can't see why anyone bothers spending any more. I sold my £300 Lumi HID for £125, and bought the DX. I reckon it's about the same power as the Lumi, with a slightly better (wider) beam pattern. Not bright enough? Get 2!

If it packs up, I'll just get another, but I see no reason it won't do another winter. £25 a year? Get in! 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

Do you use them all at once?

Sorry I meant to say I bought in one gor for all my mates. I'm called toys for a reason, people rely on me to make there choices for them when it comes to toy purchase. Honest.

trail_rat
    Free Member

"To be brutally honest, I honestly can't see why anyone bothers spending any more"

to get a wee bit of QC and a light that doesnt need treating like a princess perhaps !

stanfree
    Free Member

Smudge YGM.

smudge
    Free Member

Hi Stan, ygm too now.

Thanks for emails, I'm gradually getting through them all.

Paul. Thanks for payment, all being posted tomorrow to you

Jamie
    Free Member

@smudge

As a compete idiot, which battery and charger, and at what cost, would I need off you for a magic shine 900 lumen replacement?

smudge
    Free Member

Jamie ygm

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Magicshine/DX lights – Feedback from users’ is closed to new replies.