Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Magicshine / DX light recall ?
  • dst
    Free Member

]I have one of these and have been really pleased with it. However, A mate of mine had problems with his due to moisture ingress into the protection PCB on the battery pack. Common apparently

I tried to fix it for him but decided it was really goosed and googled for a replacement and came across this site

null
    http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=recall

I know that it is American and therefore could be well over the top but the site appears to be the distributor for the US and has taken it seriously enough (or has probably been ordered to by the US Govt) to recall.

I know that lots of people on this forum have them so I thought I would just point it out as I could not find a previos thread discussing the issue.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Wow, I have one through DX – bought in their quoted period 😯

user-removed
    Free Member

Me too – but it’s the newer version – the two batteries in the pics look like the old battery?

balfa
    Free Member

Interesting and a little worrying. Despite the numbers in use in the UK, we still have not heard of exploding batteries. I’ve heard of the chargers going wrong though. Perhaps an overly cautious recall?

Also can we assume that the newer magicshine batteries are OK i.e the ones in the big IP rated waterproof case with the voltmeter?

EDIT: posted on another website by magicshine

“There is no proof that the fire incidents are caused by MagicShine battery packs. Even before the recall, MagicShine used batteries from a trusted ceritified supplier. Safety is always the 1st priority in MagicShine. From December 2010, to restore customers confidence and provide better products to customers, MagicShine had decided and switched to a larger UL/CE/RoHS/ISO9001 certified battery provider as its battery supplier.”

cubemeup
    Free Member

funny this, i was at my mates house the other day and the circuit board caught on fire!! buy cheap u buy twice

dst
    Free Member

It is not the buying twice that people should be concerned about. It is the secondary damage that can be caused. i.e. fires!

z1ppy

yeah whatever,.. buy cheap buy twice .. whatever, same old crap from the MS haters.

Yes there cheap, and have apparently caused fire in a couple of very rare case, there are also reports of Lumicycle catching fire, and Sony/Dell/Apple famously exploding batteries?
    Are you going to slag them off to?
    Cheap apple’s? Where?

As for the Geoman debarkle… lets see a US supplier decides to recall battery in a famously litigation happy country.
    The Hong Kong supplier is still selling them, all the European distributer are still selling them, none of these people have issued a recall.
    So your slagging the unit due to one distributers actions?

My PCB failed, nothing spectacular happened & after a year (out of warrenty), it’s cost me £25 for a replacement battery, I’m happy as larry with this thanks.
    If you want to spend £200+ for a unit that supplies no more light than a Magicshine unit, you go ahead & waste your money, I’m gunna keep buy them and keep recommending them.

Hopefully a XML version will be release soon.

and obviously buy expensive lights is always the answer, so my Edison 5 which cost £450, which went through 3 bulbs and a battery in just over a year is obviously better than my Magicshine unit that supplies the same amount of light.

whatever.

Twin
    Free Member

z1ppy +1

Love mine, it’s been great!

cubemeup
    Free Member

chill out z1ppy just a joke with a friend!!

z1ppy

Why?
    The same old crap is spouted off time and time again.
    Next it’ll be CC’s constant rant that were killing the country by buying far eastern/chinese good – what a joke.
    I vote with my money, if the large* UK manufacturer supplied a decent light for a decent price, I’d be the first to buy it.

These threads, like the magazines that refuse to review the magicshine unit (with stupid excuse that they not been out long enough or have no backup – both are base-less accusations), put off people buy a pretty decent unit that could transform their MTB experience , by allowing them to ride at night, for not a lot of money.
    Not everyone has £200-300 spare to try out night riding, A £50 UNIT THAT WORKS WELL IS A BARGAIN AND I WILL KEEP SHOUTING THIS!

* small manufacturers do exist like Trout, I have one of his Mini’s, but your still unfortunately paying a premium. When asked I have to admit I could have bought 2 new Magichsine units for the price of the Trout’s head unit & had more light (not as well made mind you) – this is not a complaint just the honest truth.

Hohum
    Free Member

^^^^

Well said z1ppy!

Without Magicshines my MTBing would be severely curtailed in the dark half of the year.

dst
    Free Member

Zippy,

please bear in mind that I started the thread by saying “]I have one of these and have been really pleased with it”! I have also recommended them to anybody I spoke to.

I only thought that I would raise attention to the recall as it was the first time I have heard of it. I also suggested that this was probably due to the country in question.

I certainly was not, and do not really thing that cabemup was slagging them off

Would like to know where you goy your battery back from though as my mate still needs one.

cookeaa

moisture ingress into the protection PCB on the battery pack

😆 😆 😆

I think that’s a wordy way of saying the battery pack isn’t (Or rather wasn’t) sealed properly, quie easy to remedy….

Left mine out in the rain for a week last winter (and it actually worked for a bit afterwards) completely my own fault, it had been fine on the trails as since day one I’d kept the battery nicely sealed up in a storage bottle for riding (just forgot to bring it in after a night ride)… replacement pack was about £20 I think, and I scavenged the Calls out of the old pack to run a head torch, so overall I’d call it a win!

This is hardly a shocking discovery though anyone with an ounce of sense could see the battery pack isn’t water tight, or simply look on the interweb and find a million stories Bastid owners who drowned their battery packs…

z1ppy

DST, sorry I do get annoyed (and breath) it wasn’t a rant at anyone in particular, just the whole idea that they can’t be trusted and will explode if you look at them wrong.
    The Geoman/US situation is a world away from us, and I believe is just down to anti-litigation, yet it get quoted on here regularly – utter tosh, IMO of course.

I got my replacement battery from Spokeshirts site (none currently listed), he had a few of the new type batteries for sale & I was happy to pay the premium over the DX site, purely down to the delivery time.
    http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/ are also selling them, but as always there taking the michael price wise.

If the batteries not damaged but a dead PCB, you can as per PP just take the PCB out of the circuit and run it without one. Alternatively contact Smudge off here and he can repair/supply are replacement PCB – he did supply me one, but my soldering iron decided to die(!), so I got lazy and bought a battery (sorry Smudge)

dst
    Free Member

Agreed

My mate, who is on here by the way – Pricey2 – may not have an ounce of sense! (I did not want to take the P behind his back)

Mine is / has always been wrapped in a very crude sandwich bag arrangement that appears to work

dst
    Free Member

Zippy – Thanks

bawbag
    Free Member

My battery got water-damaged even though I tried to keep it dry in a sandwich bag. I have found a replacement here.
    You can also get the old style ones here

I have ordered a replacement from bestofferbuy using PayPal so I should be okay if there are problems. Will update when it appears!

lightman
    Free Member

I was involved in a discussion/bs about the battery packs on the DX forums.

I cant find the updated link, but Geo recalled over 20,000 packs because TWO were faulty!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Magicshine / DX light recall ?’ is closed to new replies.