Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Lyme disease
  • IamSam
    Free Member

Any one had this,

loads of tick bites last week, so far removed seven, and have now got a large red welt appearing on the back of my calf which seems to be fitting the bulls eye description hard centre with a gradually spreading red outside. If you have had it from a UK bite where did you contract it.

thanks

highclimber
    Free Member

Go to your GP!

robdob
    Free Member

Yes get to your GP asap!!
    You can get tick removal "pens" which are worth carrying around with you if you encounter ticks often. They remove them properly, removing by hand or with a credit card can make it a lot worse.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Switch off your PC and get to a doctor or GP right now. Need immediate action to avert potential Lyme Disease. If you get it, it will remove you from normal life for 6-12 months.

GO NOW!!!!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I've had the whole bull's-eye thing twice now from over friendly Swedish ticks.

Off to the GP, a couple of week on penicillin and carry on as normal.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Go to Hospital immediately.

IamSam
    Free Member

right appointment made finger, toes and eyes all crossed

Flaperon

If the appointment's not for today, go to A+E instead.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Excellent decision.

Getting bitten by a tick does not mean you automatically have Lyme disease, however you get Lyme disease by being bitten by an infected tick. Seeing a GP is an absolute must no matter what.

hora
    Free Member

DONT let the GP assure you all is well etc. I had two infected horsefly bites a few years back and was on a big course of antibiotics etc to sort me out.

Lymes is far far worse.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

If the appointment's not for today, go to A+E instead.

+1

Hope it all goes well. In future, have a tick hook handy – only £3 and no weight, so no reason not to. Website HERE including lovely video of ticks being removed or just Google tick hook for places to buy

hora
    Free Member

OP where did you ride to pick up so many?

Macavity
    Free Member

OP = OrganoPhosphates
    Nasty chemicals used to kill ticks on sheep.

IamSam
    Free Member

Picked them up riding in grizedale, well we got a bit lost and ended up following deer trails, so kind of the worst place for it really. Some pretty good single track though just non of it linked up to anything so there was a fair bit of pushing through bracken which at this time of years asking for it.

Ho Hum lets just hope I'm being paranoid hey

OP bath of HA

Onzadog
    Free Member

Take a picture of the bulls eye. They can sometimes disappear pretty quickly. Something to show the doctor will help convince them it's serious. They're normally not overly aware of Lymes disease.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've said it before, I'll say it again – if you've not had it [tick] on for 24 hours and you've no photographic evidence of the bullseye mark you'll get ignored by anyone in the NHS. Or thats my experience with a GP, then a nurse, then a walk-in-centre doctor.

toys19
    Free Member

My nephew got lyme disease from chorley wood common, docs ignored him until he was really ill and ended up in gt ormond street.

marionheck
    Free Member

any one is NE scotland – did the fungle road yesterday and mate came back with 17 ticks on him which was nasty, all little but 1 very small and o big one that had thankfully not bitten in yet.

horrible little things, i always carry a tick remover, it lives in my wallet.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking these tick remover things don't actually prevent you from getting Lymes disease? But the only way you can get it is if your bitten by an infected Tick?

Have had loads of bytes of late (5 in the past month compaired to zero last year) and removed the ticks doing the wiggle technique as displayed here:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-remove-a-tick/

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking these tick remover things don't actually prevent you from getting Lymes disease? But the only way you can get it is if your bitten by an infected Tick? – CORRECT

highclimber
    Free Member

you can also contract Tick Borne Encephalitis (TBE) which I hear is not nice either
    Read this

whytetrash

are these ticks rare in Wales?…seriously guys I've been biking 20yrs, through loads of long grass/vegetation and never seen one…why haven't I been bitten?

richmtb

Even if you are bitten by an infected tick you may not contract Lyme's Disease. The Lymes disease bacteria lives in the stomach of the tick, they generally have to be attached to you for sometime for the bacteria to pass from the tick's stomach into you bloodstream, hence why removing them quickly is always a good idea.

But if you have the "bullseye" rash, as other have said, then get to GP or AE asap.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I've just pulled one out of my leg! Arhhh all this talk about them and one just turns up at my desk, pretty sure it wasn't embedded there this morning!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking these tick remover things don't actually prevent you from getting Lymes disease? But the only way you can get it is if your bitten by an infected Tick?

Correct, BUT if you squeeze the body as you are pulling it off, it regurgitates its stomach contents into the open wound which is how the Lyme virus gets into your bloodstream.

Swivel it off gently with the tick hook and this doesn't happen, so you massively reduce your chances of catching anything, or leaving mouthparts behind which can become badly infected

IamSam
    Free Member

Reet back from the docs, looked at my leg listened to my story asked if I was worried if it was lymes I said yes prescribed Erythromycin, not OrganoPhosphates, so thats that then. Starting to feel a little bit sick now but could just me making that up………… lets hope nothing more comes of this.

Sam

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

erthromycin can make you feels sick

Lyme Disease – everything you wanted to know (and stuff you wish you didn’t)

Teh walk we did a couple of weeks ago on one day Mrs TJ picked up about 20 of the damn things. Mainly tiny weenie ones

fishboy
    Free Member

Thats good news! Glad the doc listened, hope you get sorted ok mate. Had a couple of guys at work who got Lymes disease and the biggest problem they had was convincing the doc – one of them ended up self-diagnosing and buying drugs over the internet.

All the best!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I was in meeting at work and one started to bite my ankle. I got it before he became embedded by my coworkers were somewhat disgusted. "I live in the bloody country".

IamSam you did the right thing dude. I am sure it will all work out well in the end. Good luck.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I got it before he became embedded by my coworkers were somewhat disgusted.

Better not tell them that they normally head for somewhere damp and warm. On the balls seemed to be a popular place to find them when I lived in the states. You get to find out who your friends are then!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i found one on my testicle once!

Thought it was a bit of fluff from the boxer shorts and scratched it off, then was quite surprised to see the 'fluff' crawl along the floor!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Lyme disease’ is closed to new replies.