Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lumicycle led 3…..
  • goby

Hi,
    Right its getting that time of year when the lights are coming out for the evening rides and I going to upgrade my lumicycle halogens as need longer burn times with same brightness. I currently run a 20w flood and 12 spot.
    Does anyone have views or reviews on the lumicycle led 3 food or spot? Also anyone got the Hope vision 4 led as was looking at buying either one of them. Any help apprecated!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Get the DX light – will be brighter than the 3 led and nearly as bright as the 4 led for 1/4 the price

stumpy01

Are you sure about that? Lumi had their LED lights at the D2D last yr and they were very bright. No 'torch' I have seen would come close.
    Run time is pretty good as well with the Lumicycle batteries. My endurance battery gives 13hrs on full power if I upgraded to the LED unit, and they are well made & easy to use.

If you already have the Lumi battery & charger, you'll just need the light unit to upgrade to. It will cost more than the 'torches' but will give you better run time, I think it would also give a better spread of light & service from Lumicyle is great.

Lumi do let you hire systems, so it might be worth ringing to see if you can hire just the light unit to try before you buy.
    They are supporting the D2D if you are going to be there?

Alternatively, you could upgrade the halogen cans to LED using the cutter kits from Oz. I think that you can get an output equivalent (or even slightly greater) to the 20W halogen unit (which is actually running at about 25W as they over-volt their bulbs) for an 11w LED unit.
    I am tempted to try this, but so far haven't got round to it!

EDIT: Just noticed – I just noticed that TJ mentioned the DX light, not one of the torches……..should have read it properly…….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A P7 led which is in the torches and the bastid light is effectivly 4 high power leds in one die running at 700ma. This will produce a similar amount of light to 3 high power leds running at 1 amp which is what the lumi 3 led is. The hope 4 led will be a bit brighter. It is quite possible that the 3 led / 4 led ones have better beam patterns and better batteries.

mayan
    Free Member

If you've already got the battery and its in good nick then all you need is the lamp unit? I changed mine last year, was running a 20w mid and a 12w spot halogen i think, and changed it for the led 2 spot.
    My battery is the 5.2 amh and would run for 2-3 hrs with the halogens, depending on the spot usage.
    Last winter i used the led3 for commuting (2hrs a day twice a week) on high (pitch black canal and back roads) and then 2+ hrs a week off road with a combination of high and boost.
    Only had to charge the battery once a week, and the power output is way more than the halogens it replaced.
    Really good system and they aren't cheap, but its good quality, reliable and easy to use, cant recomend it enough.

goby

Yeah ive got a nimh battery had if for 2 years now, its the 4.4amp/hr one so the led 3 lamp unit would run on that for ages then, was thinking of flogging the whole lot and buying a new system becuase only do 2 or maybe 3 night rides a week and was thinking the new battery would be a pain to keep on top of for charging. Shall ring lumicycle later about the hire of a lamp as that sounds a good plan to try it out.

scruff
    Free Member

Big John has just swapped his lamp for a 3 LED lumi,its very bright and being Lumi backup and spares will be excellent, they even fix old batteries at cost. Its also got blinking LEDS which torches dont have. ANYONE who thinks torches are as good as proper bike lamps are deluded fools who dont night ride properly (And probably use ghetto tubeless and believe singlespeed is a good thing to do etc)

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Yep, upgraded from lumi halogens to led3, it's well worth doing, high power long life good beam. Why not?

BigJohn

Yup, as Scruff says I bought a Lumi 3 LED to fit to my old lumi NiMh battery. I had a Rush Hid before and am very pleased with the Lumi. Excellent runtimes, very bright and a dead simple switch. None of your "cycling" through the settings, its just up for brighter, down for dimmer.

I'm using the spot and had no trouble at all last night riding about 2 hours in full darkness through tight singletrack in the trees etc. Its beam is a little tight, so you can't see into the dips you're about to ride into, and I don't know whether to phone up and ask for a flood lens. WhatI'd really like is a bi-focal. Spot at the top, flood at the bottom.

Dave
    Free Member

I've a test set of Lumi 3's at the moment. Rode last nights semi tech ride with just the spot and I didn't need any more light.

Battery life is good enough to leave it on full beam without faffing with lower settings.

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

Thinking of doing the same and was also looking at the Lumi Led4 lights. Running a single lamp wha's the best way to go – Spot or flood?

BigJohn

As I said above – not sure. I haven't tried the flood.

sheck

I have a single set up, just with the flood. It shoots light far enough down the trail for the speeds that I ride at night, with the added bonus of good peripheral vision. Very happy

stumpy01

Can't remember where (might have been from the Lumi boys at the D2D, but I seem to remember someone saying that the flood is good enough to use if you only get the one lamp.
    If i was to go for one I think it would be the flood, as I do like a bit of peripheral vision.

Dancake
    Free Member

Get the DX light – will be brighter than the 3 led and nearly as bright as the 4 led for 1/4 the price

may be a bit of a lottery though. My mate and I recieved our DX light kits at the same time. His is much brighter than mine (my high is like his medium) tried his battery and it was the same. I stripped down to see if I could see anything amiss and found the build quality to be shocking!

Anywhoo, its either an LED fault or the driver so I have bought a 2800ma driver for 4 dollars so ill fit that first.(it also gets rid of the silly flashing light and switch)

(ok could have sent it back but where is the fun in that? )

DaveGr
    Free Member

Got the flood with 2*2.6Ah batteries. Bought for 24 hour solo riding and allows me to run one battery under the stem and then change after @ 4 hours of racing. Lighter weight and if I choose in the future I can get a head unit and run that off the second battery.

Really like the use of the system – press up to go brighter, press down to do opposite. Don't find the boost much better than high but is a nice feature as you can select boost for three minutes and then it automatically drops back to high. Also like the fact that is slowly dulls in brightness when dropping down a power setting rather than an abrupt change.

No problem with the flood – only time I would have liked a spot was the last descents at Mayhem but even then the flood was OK.

Commuting power level is only good for the road but your battery will last ages before it needs recharging. Not sure about the battery level indicator – a little LED flashes to show the power level and then the battery level but the colours to indicate the charge are the same as to indicate the power level so a flashing green/red is much the same as flashing red/green!!!!

All that and upgradeable LED's, can buy other batteries to fit and their legendary support.

kiwi_stu
    Free Member

I like the look of the LED 4 flood, very expensive… other option is a trout light…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lumicycle led 3…..’ is closed to new replies.