Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Loss, Impending and done.
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

locally there has been some terrible occurrences.

and in my personal life some terribly tragic things are happening.

I wrote this:

Little Bird

I’d like to know that you think, perhaps it needs a bridge on the but last verse?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You “wore” it or “wrote” it?

Is it blooz?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I wrote it, not blooz for all its trapping, dsyleckia maybe, did you listen to it?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m on phone. Only giving me lyrics.

MrNutt
    Free Member

put it in your ears, i’d be interested as to opnion?

user-removed
    Free Member

Jayzus. Less of the Cash’s last album humbug. Where’s the bass? Your guitar sounds like it’s being played in a tin can. The lyrics are good, the realisation is piss-poor. (I’m listening on bass-heavy speakers and there is no bass).

The vocals suck big-dogs’-cocks. Raise your voice and shout a bit!

Does it need a middle eight? Does a jobby need a wee bit of lube as it exits?

Having said all that, the more people playing guitar and singing, the better. Keep it up Mr Nutt.

allthepies
    Free Member

Cowell has spoken.

khani
    Free Member

I liked it, in a dirgy sort of way, don’t listen to cowall up there, he’ll make you get a boob job, don a miniskirt, and put you in a kiddyband, and you’ll end up being called gingernutt!

wwaswas

It made me sad.

Which probably means it ‘works’ as a song.

I prefer stuff that sounds like it was recorded in a tin can – too many years listening to music in acoustically crap venues I think.

iDave
    Free Member

I’d have liked it spoken, like Waits, with dirtier guitar. But all in all, it was splendid.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

It really, really does need that bridge, and possibly played on a piano or accordion.

Work on the accuracy and consistency(pressure) of your fingering, it’s all over the place.

The vocal sounds forced,it sounds like your voice is trying to work at a higher pitch and you’re forcing it to go low and as a result, the overall timbre seems to drift about quite a lot. You might need to accept that you have a higher pitched voice than you’d like.

Having said all that, I quite like the lyrics and what the song could be with a little work though.

iDave
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the Simon R cover version…..

molgrips
    Free Member

You might need to accept that you have a higher pitched voice than you’d like

Kunstler

It’s concise, uncluttered and the lo-fi ‘here and now’ recording gives it a particular location and through that it carries your connection to it’s content and meaning. I don’t think the shaky voice is an affectation though the accent might be (can’t find other songs on that site to compare).

It’s personal and close and that comes through. Form and content. I don’t think it needs a bridge.

I hope writing the song has a cathartic effect and helps you through a difficult time.

molgrips
    Free Member

Right, listened to it now 🙂

Definitely work on your precision on the guitar. Get a drum machine maybe and have something light going on in the background whilst you practice?

And the accent.. sounds a bit like you’re trying to be Texan but you might be from Northern Ireland which would work. Been listening to Snow Patrol much? 🙂

My advice would be

1) Practice the guitar part – hard.
    2) Use a capo – 3 frets would ease your voice up a fair bit but still keep the low easy style.
    3) Really concentrate on singing in your own voice. Fake accents really bug me, and you end up sounding really refreshing. Personally it’s a joy to my ears to hear someone’s real voice, not some identikit American accent. It’s surprisingly difficult to do actually, cos we’ve been listening to popular music sung the same way for so long.
    4) Use more air when you sing, if that makes sense.

NB I am not an accomplished musician so I might be talking rubbish.

I do like the song though quite a lot. Reminds me of something that I can’t place.

user-removed
    Free Member

OK so I may have been a little harsh last night. It’s better than 90% of the crap on the radio, so tune your guitar properly and try again.

stratobiker
    Free Member

I thought it was pretty good – given the dodgy recording and slightly out of tune guitar – but that’s par for the genre and adds to the autheniticity, no?

Def’ needs some kind of modulation/bridge/chorus/interlude somewhere. Maybe just before the repeat of the first verse.

Overall though, I liked it.

SB

surfer
    Free Member

I like it.

D28boy
    Free Member

Sounds an awfull lot likes Nine in Nails/Cash’s “Hurt”. Liked the lyrics but not the delivery. Guitar out of tune and too may errors. Assuming however this is a rough sketch of wht you have in mind it’s a good start.

MrNutt
    Free Member

its a rough sketch sure enough, I’d recorded it just as I’d written it, on a park bench, in 20 mins. Oh and the capo is on the 4th fret.

I’m gonna develop it, it’ll have bass and I’m looking for a cellist for a part I have in mind, if it doesn’t work I’ll bin it.

user-removed
    Free Member

It’s been emotional. And that’s all you can ever ask for, from a musical perspective.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I fear it may be classed as “Country” have I wandered away from the blues and folk and into hitherto land of prosthetic breasts and tassels?

molgrips
    Free Member

If you sent over a decent recording I’d add bass for you and send it back 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

I would do, but I think Daz my 6ft+ bass player may turn me into some kind of soup! 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

And the results will probably be better with Daz. Your whites will be whiter, certainly.

diggers
    Free Member

Practice guitar more, get another vocalist.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Loss, Impending and done.’ is closed to new replies.