Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Losing the love…
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

… I appear to have lost the love for mountain biking. So this year I am intending to ride more road and cross type stuff. Might even have a crack at some tts and some crit racing for a laugh.

Anyone else lost the love?

Blower
    Free Member

hmmm, no love lost here,the complete oppostite back into it big time again.

crikey
    Free Member

I started out mountain biking, then lost the love and raced cyclo-cross, then lost the love and mountain biked again, then lost the love, then did fell running, then lost the love, then did road racing, then lost the love, then mountain biked again, then lost the love, then got into mountain biking and road riding, then lost the love, then got into walking, then loved it all.

If you haven’t loved and lost, you’ve never loved at all.

IA

It’s all bikes, it’s all good. Try some sort of MTB you’ve not tried before. You never know, you might like it. Raced any DH? Beg steal or borrow the kit, enter a race, and try not to come last! It’s against the clock, and you generally get 2 runs, so it’s fun just to challenge yourself.

noteeth
    Free Member

There are… other sports? 😯

crikey
    Free Member

One of the best ways to get back into stuff is to offer to take new folk out to try it. It’s no pressure on you, and helps you to remember the way you used to feel about it.

Ask a few Daves out, or try the junior anaesthetists; it’s almost de rigeur for them to be into mountain biking or other cycling these days.

godzilla
    Free Member

One in one out, my main love is motorcycle trials, but i have drifted back to mountain bikes, i felt guilty at first, so i just went out cycling and it made me feel better.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Me! I have been guiding year round for 3 years now and just can´t be bothered anymore. It´ll come back but in the mean time I really can´t be arsed..

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

One thing I am intending to do is use the mtb to get to some remote places to do a some more bivvying this year.

Losing the love for mtbing isnt bothering me in the slightest, just seems like time to try something else for a while. I think that if I was to try and force myself to go mtbing it would be a bad move.

jedi

try other cycling activities. it’s a big wide 2 wheeled world!

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’m bored of racing . More days in the hills , more long road rides on beautiful remote roads.

No training – just riding and running when i want .

Going to get stuck into restoration of my landrover for a bit – probably new expensive than bikes ! Although a galvanised chassis cost the same as my Ti frame lol

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I lost the love for biking,Didnt ride at all for a year,had 2 bikes in the garage,just sat there,didnt sell them,glad i didnt.
    Was ill during the end of that year,and ended up with Pneumonia,once i was better,found the love again,and have been riding ever since(4 years)

jimmy

always do at this time of year. I know the first proper hot, sunny ride in April will change all that, though.

nasher
    Free Member

Me! I have been guiding year round for 3 years now and just can´t be bothered anymore. It´ll come back but in the mean time I really can´t be arsed..

I’m a guide also so I really like the time I spend in the UK over winter… its dark wet and cold and i dont feel guilty about not riding…. I get back to Italy and the spark has returned!!!

Love it me….

forge197
    Free Member

Am back into mountain biking now, new bike, losing weight and combined with running it feels fun again, wobbled a bit through not riding enough back end of last year, but I now feel up for it and my fitness is slowly returning which in turns makes it feel good, am looking forward to the next fix.

big_scot_nanny

I always think I am losing the love, then a blast out with friends refreshes the tank and reminds me why I love it.

Having biking mates helps me to get the finger out and saddle up helps massively, esp at this time of year as mentioned above.

having other activities I find also helps, e.g. Skiing at this time of year, keeps the riding fresh.

Kev

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I fell out of love with mountain biking a few years back. Done very little since then, and practically nothing in the last 3 years.

But a couple of months back I started wanting to ride again.

Think it’s all a mental state thing, I have been in an increasingly bad place head wise, but now that things are coming back to good I am getting this urge to get out and ride! Problem is all my gear is old and past it’s best so I am needing to invest first 😉 I did buy some new tyres the other day though so should have the hardtail back up and running in the next few weeks (once I get a chance), then it’s just waiting until such a time as I can buy a new full susser, once I have necessary legalities and included costs dealt with. Assuming I have any money left ever again that is!

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ll be racing some bmx,doing some criteriums,summer cx and a bit of dh and I might ride my mtb now and again…or not.
    I’ll come back to it when I’m ready.Variety and all that.

ojom
    Free Member

G – sounds like where my head is. Planning a simple road bike, and a functional build of the mojo and doing some Ezzi style rides.

Getting one of those epic massive saddle bags as well.

I broke myself again at the weekend and have again realised i am not one of life’s radsters 8)

phinbob

Last year I mainly ran and rode on the road. Did a marathon and a longish duathlon, which was fun. Even shaved my legs. Thought about selling all but 1 mountain bike.

This year I’m getting back into MTB, and running is taking a back seat (apart from some crazy ulta thing I might do in the Autumn) It’s all good, nothing wrong with mixing it up. We do this for fun you know.

I’d be concerned if I lost the urge to do anything that got me out and exercising mind….I’d soon be back to stripping down and buttering myself to get through doorways 🙁

Blackhound

Quite long, bit like what trail_rat was saying:

http://akrunning.blogspot.com/2009/09/running-and-love.html

Its about running but still relevant.

Northwind

I’ve not lost it lately but I misplaced it in about 1995, then found it down the back of the sofa in 2008. Will be taking better care of it this time.

jedi

george, if you love what you do it’ll return 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Mark – those epic massive saddle bags are great. Hope you heal fast too.

Jedi – my problem is that I like doing so many sports, but what I love is learning to do new sports.

jedi

then learn something new on 2 wheels 🙂
    a hot, dry dusty ride on singletrack wins for me nowdays 🙂

DarrenH

You need twin baby boys!
    Then as soon as you have some free time you’ll be itching to get out for a ride.
    There’s nothing like enforced time away from (another) thing you love to make you appreciate it.

avdave2

This year marks 25 years, September 3rd to be precise, since I bought my first mountain bike, a Specialized Rockhopper, and I enjoy it as much as ever. There have been times when I might have only got out riding a couple of times in a year when the kids were younger but when I did it always felt as good as ever. The best thing I’ve ever done was to change to an off road commute 2 1/2 years ago, it gets you in to the habit of going out no matter what the weather. I live right on the edge of the South Downs so there are miles of bridleways and I can easily change my commute from 5 to 25 miles or anything in between.

simondbarnes

Surrounded By Zulus – Member
    … I appear to have lost the love for mountain biking. So this year I am intending to ride more road and cross type stuff. Might even have a crack at some tts and some crit racing for a laugh.

Anyone else lost the love?

Yup. No longer have a mtb. Got 4 drop bar bikes with another frame on the way (paid for by selling my cotic soda last week). Started TTing and ‘cross racing in 2009, more of the same last year and this year.

djglover
    Free Member

I have ridden 2 or 3 times in the last year. I haven’t the time or motivation to ride since we had twins. I get some running in and prefer to concentrate on that now. Fell running appears to be harder and more exciting than mtb and the training can be done by putting some shorts on and going out of the door, no bike to was etc etc. I think when / if the kids start to ride the bikes may get some use again, they will probably be antique by this formus standards then though.

mustard
    Free Member

Wot you done Mark? Was wandering why there weren’t any TBC rides so far this year.

I’ve been de-motivated for a bit and am feeling unfit, but I know it’s temporary and I’m making the most of the snow while it’s on t hills.

An enforced lay off for about a year due to injury about 4 years ago made me realise how much I love being on a bike of any sort.

Always up for some epic bivy bike action if anyone needs some company and I’m having bad thoughts about buying a DH bike too. I should have learnt the same lesson as Mark by now, but I’m a dreamer! 😀

druidh
    Free Member

I went through a similar phase last year. Then I bought the mmmbop and found I loved it again.

I reckon to just not push it and it’ll sneak up on you in time.

yodagoat
    Free Member

Try a honda C90. they are ace fun.

druidh
    Free Member

mustard – Wed night rides should be kicking off again at the end of February. The problem at the moment is the mixture of ice (slippy dangerous) and mus (environmentally unsustainable). We’ll make a call nearer the time, but it might end up being something like the Queensferry – Ratho ride or the Edinburgh Hills one. It would be nice just to get out as a group again.

mboy
    Free Member

I’ve always found in the past, riding for ridings sake is the easiest way to lose the love. As is riding the same trails over and over again!

The best way to get the love back is to ride when you want to, when you feel like it. Not just because you feel you should ride that day. if the weather is crap, or you can’t be bothered with the same old trails again, it’s not a crime to stay indoors and watch TV you know! 😉

What got me back in love with riding bikes was being proactive about riding new places, meeting new people, improving my technique and riding as and when I felt like it not just cos I felt I should… Then by pure chance I met a girl who happened to love riding bikes, and wanted to give MTBing a go… We’ve been going out for 9 months now too, and she loves it more than ever! She’ll often drag me out…

ojom
    Free Member

Andy- colles fracture of the left wrist.
    Considering opening up the Wed night thing to road and perhaps even a running club. Fancy that?

zaskarrider
    Free Member

mmm not lost the love…
    But with the high cost of fuel and not being able to leave the house for much longer than three hours at a time ( due to wifes disability )ive been riding every day for three hours on the road bike, and i must say..its great.
    Ive just bought an exposure diablo though.. so would like to give that a blast off road 😆

coastkid
    Free Member

I ride different bikes for different seasons,
    Getting a beachbike renewed my interest in biking ten fold as it felt like a whole new activity and now winter riding is so much fun and i dont get sick of the weekly mud fest and cleaning of this time of year and lose interest,
    Cant afford a motorcycle anymore so cycling is now my main outdoor activity, and free camping is er…free so will be doing alot more of that within riding distance of home this year 😮
    dont miss trail centres anymore and the costs of the latest “must have” bikes -or the crashes 😮
    Im getting too old for that now 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

Sort of. Although I’m more bored of the having to drive at least 1.5hrs to get to a decent trail than the riding itself which is usually quite good.

doom_mountain

Lost the love a few years ago after working as a bike courier, I’d just had enough of bikes I think.
    Bought a ss mtb on a whim and it felt like being a kid again.

I moved to the lake district late last year and even though it’s cold, wet and grey, I love being out on me bike again…even got my GF riding…in winter!

Try riding somewhere new or with new people, works a treat.

mieszko
    Free Member

Mark I would be up for a TBC evening road ride 🙂 No uni on Tuesday as well and an afternoon start on Wednesday.

I’ll pop into the shop at some point next week. Probably 😉

I have to say I kind of lost the love but that is because I cycle to uni 4 times a week, than to work 3 times a week, than to the gym twice a week and then it’s either very cold, very windy already dark or it’s raining or I find another excuse i.e. salt damaging my road bike etc. So both bikes are now in the cupboard and I ride my hack Marin. I’ll take it easy for a bit. Like Druidh said it should come back later. No point in forcing myself to go for a ride if I won’t enjoy it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Losing the love…’ is closed to new replies.