Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Losing keys
  • stcolin
    Free Member

Why I feel the need to share this I have no idea.

I’ve lost the garage door key, the bike has been locked away all weekend. It’s rented accomodation and the landlord has kindly opened it for me today, but I need to find the set I had.

Apart from attaching keys permanently, how can I stop misplacing keys? It’s a very bad habit.

nedrapier

It’s all about the systems. Same pocket, same drawer at work, same pot at home. It takes few seconds longer to put them in the right place than to fling them on (towards/behind/under) the sofa, but it’s way less than you’ll spend searching for them later.

Spoken as someone who spends too long looking for his keys!

My worst habit is when packing, unpacking the car, fetching things from the boot, rationalising/tidying on camping & biking trips. I just put the key down whenever/wherever I need to use the hand with the key in, so I’ll finish whatever I’m doing, realise I don’t have the key and trace back round the car to find it. And it’s a Mondeo estate, bought so we could fit loads of stuff in, so that can take some time!

Bedds
    Free Member

When i’m riding i have a cord to have the key around my neck.. at home i keep it on a hook just inaide the door..

I’m forever losing stuff so i have to have a system otherwise its gone.. being in an mrt has helped.. getting stuff ready for use straight after use means its ready to go straight away.

Cougar

I have a bunch of keys that your average jailer would be jealous of. Considerably harder to lose.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mine go on a chain attached to my trousers. I figure to lose my keys I must lose my trousers then losing my keys is the least of my worries

hels
    Free Member

I’ve lost count of the number of times my neighbour has knocked on my door to tell me I have left them hanging in the front door. Last time was last week, with my brand new car key included.

I blame the Cat.

camo16
    Free Member

Why not try a rhyme just before leaving the house?

I’m going out for ham, spam and cheese
    So I’m gonna need my wallet, hat and keys

The trick is only to leave the house for things that rhyme with keys.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what they said – get a system

emsz
    Free Member

Why do you need a hat for spam?

camo16
    Free Member

The hat’s for the cheese, emsz… for coddling purposes on chilly days.

stcolin
    Free Member

Jesus camo, don’t confuse matters!

Clearly I need a ‘system’ then 😆

And I’m not chaining them to my trousers, it’s not 1987.

emsz
    Free Member

I’m not going to ask what coddling is LOL

camo16
    Free Member

I’m not going to ask what coddling is LOL

It’s when you pretend your cheese is Dannii Minogue… 8)

Sorry, OP, back to topic – Everyone who’s mentioned having a SYSTEM is right.

wombat

Or get one of those keyrings that beep when you whistle for them…. 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

Just get a couple of spares cut

The woman over the road has lost her keys so many times, we now hold a spare for her

Stuey01
    Free Member

+1 for system. My Mrs just puts stuff in random places, she’s forever losing her debit card, house keys, car key, phone, purse… If I need my keys I know they will be in 1 of 3 places.

A regular scene when leaving our gaff:
    Her: have you got your keys?
    Me: Yes, we’re going out, why would I not have my keys?
    Her: Good, I can’t find mine.
    Me: FFS.

Another regular scene, she’s had the car for work all week:
    Me: Where are the car keys?
    Her: You had them last.
    Me: No, you’ve had the car all week, I haven’t used it.
    Her: Oh.
    Me: FFS.

And yet when it comes to dates and planning I’m rubbish. I’ve developed a system though – I ask my wife.
    Come to think of it, that sounds like it may be remarkably similar to her system for her keys.

iDave
    Free Member

I only have 5 keys, house 1, house 2, car, garage, bike lock. House 2 key is some cryptic irreplaceable Swiss security thing. When the door shuts, it could involve me being locked out for 4 days. I have immense OCD when it comes to shutting that door, in fact I have to have the key in my hand when I walk out the door and be looking at it as I pull the door shut.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Losing keys’ is closed to new replies.