• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Leku.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Longer test periods?
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

A mate of mine has been looking at getting a new bike. Initially, he was going to wait until the New Year, but unfortunately the process has been accelerated as his frame has just failed.

The major issue is that we leave for the Alps on Friday for a five-day trans-Alp to raise money for charity.

He’s pulling his hair out, as he’s currently without a bike for the fundraise, but obviously doesn’t want to spend a few grand on a new bike that he wouldn’t have time to test properly (if at all) before we go. Even hiring while we’re there would be extremely difficult, as our route isn’t a loop and we’re staying in different places each night.

I was therefore wondering what the likelihood is of a shop being willing or able to offer a longer term trial? It would need to nine days, which I appreciate is probably asking too much, but I thought I’d see whether people have any suggestions as we’re starting to panic here.

Thanks in advance.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Try contacting the importer directly….a shop is likely to laugh out loud at you 😉
    Actually thats not a bad ruse “Hi I’d like to demo a bike……for 9 days…..in the alps……………………its for charidy though”

RealMan
    Free Member

He’s probably going to have to make a choice and buy.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Actually thats not a bad ruse “Hi I’d like to demo a bike……for 9 days…..in the alps……………………its for charidy though”

Yes, I know how it sounds! It’s actually only five days riding – we’re driving from London to Cologne on Friday, then to Chur on Saturday, then start on Sunday – but I appreciate that it does sound like a pretty rubbish attempt to get a free hire bike for a week of Alps riding.

(Although to prove it isn’t a shameless ruse, here is my JustGiving page. In fact, feel free to donate if you want. 😉 )

He’s probably going to have to make a choice and buy.

Yeah, I think he’s resigned himself to that fact. It’s just frustrating, as although he was looking at replacing his bike in the near future anyway, he’d obviously rather be able to test ride a few first.

AndreyE
    Free Member

Or, as a possible option, try to snatch a 2nd hand bike or even a frame quickly at a lower price and sell after the trip at a small loss if he doesn’t like it.

RealMan
    Free Member

Similar thing happened to me, bike got nicked a month before I was due to go to the Alps. Had lots of fun building it up though, although it did take some hurried choices. Got to ride it about twice before I rode it in the Alps, and it was great, and still is to this day.

Bit different for you though, leaving on Friday. Maybe just get a second hand frame, then swap the parts? When you’re done, sell the frame.

edit: like what he said ^

ashfanman
    Free Member

Or, as a possible option, try to snatch a 2nd hand bike or even a frame quickly at a lower price and sell after the trip at a small loss if he doesn’t like it.

That’s actually not a bad shout. I guess a lot might depend on not only finding a suitable frame on fleabay, but finding one with an auction that ends tomorrow or maybe Weds, then managing to get it to him in enough time to build it by Thursday night… 😯

Still, I’ll tell him to get searching! Anyone seen any likely candidates? 160mm travel, to be built with 36s, M frame size?

The only other bike we have access to is my old clapped out HT. The rear hub bearings are shot. It’s a 22″ frame. He’s about 5’9. Might mean I can actually keep up with him for a change. 😀

tod456
    Free Member
    tod456
    Free Member

sorry link to wrong returns page

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/30testride

note the max 15% … really only leaves you with the blender

ashfanman
    Free Member

have fun … just don’t crash it

You absolute legend.

Not sure a Blender is going to be the best idea for 500km of Alps riding, but Wiggle have some Felt FS bikes that aren’t discounted at all so they may be worth a look. I’ll email my mate now and see what he thinks.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

passtherizla
    Free Member

why not jut replace the frame with one from ebay?

Stoner
    Free Member

You’re kidding, right?
    Going into a “test ride purchase” with the express intention of returning the bike is not just immoral, but c***wittery of the highest order.

To remain eligible we ask you adopt a fair usage frame of mind and ensure there is no damage to the bike outside of the usual minimal wear you would expect from a bike ridden for 30 days or a few rides

beckykirk43
    Free Member

A lot of the big companies do demo bikes, even if you have to pay a bit to borrow one for your trip it might be the best option?
    They’re designed to be tested and ridden and handed back so don’t worry about your morals, and if your friend likes the model that he tries maybe he’ll want to buy one from the shop that he demoed from (especially if they’re nice and give a bit of discount…)

Or as has been suggested, get a 2nd hand fame, if he doesn’t like it he can sell it on when you get back, hopefully without too much of a loss!

FuzzyWuzzy

Both Evans and Wiggle do 30-day test rides, not sure what happens when you return it after battering it the Alps for a week though :p

ashfanman
    Free Member

Going into a “test ride purchase” with the express intention of returning the bike is not just immoral, but c***wittery of the highest order.

Thanks for your input, but as explained he does actually need to buy a new bike. If he did do a prolonged “test ride”, the intention would be to keep/buy the bike afterwards. Would just be nice to have the ability to return it if it doesn’t work out, rather than rush into a very expensive without even riding the thing first.

The preference is still to pick up a second-hand frame and transfer the parts, but finding one that he can get bought, shipped and built up by Thursday pm is proving difficult.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Theres a few suitable frames on Ebay depending on what size he needs.

Yeah, I saw those yesterday, but unfortunately the auctions don’t end for at least another four days. Thanks for taking the time to search for them anyway – much appreciated.

A lot of the big companies do demo bikes, even if you have to pay a bit to borrow one for your trip it might be the best option?
    They’re designed to be tested and ridden and handed back so don’t worry about your morals, and if your friend likes the model that he tries maybe he’ll want to buy one from the shop that he demoed from (especially if they’re nice and give a bit of discount…)

So you pay to effectively hire a bike for a prolonged test period, then get the money taken off if you buy it? Now that I hadn’t heard about – sounds like the ideal situation. Any idea how I’d find out which manufacturers/shops offer that?

geoffj

finding one that he can get bought, shipped and built up by Thursday pm is proving difficult.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/forum/classifieds-wanted

Stoner
    Free Member

riding five days in the alps is more than a test ride.

using the test ride purchase scheme to cover for that is immoral.

Buy a second hand frame. Rag the nuts of it if he needs to and sell it on if it’s not the one for him. It’s still get him there without the risk of taking £500 from a shop.

Leku
    Free Member

Hire a demo bike?

Skyline?

Ask if they will do a deal for extended hire. Given where there are rented out, it is assumed they will be well used while on hire.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Longer test periods?’ is closed to new replies.