Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Long shot – Ford Galaxy bonnet release?
  • luked2
    Free Member

Anyone know anything about opening a Ford Galaxy bonnet?

It pops up about an inch, but the button in the front doesn’t release it.

I’m thinking that maybe a garden spade might be the answer. Google certainly isn’t 🙁

EDIT: Mk2.

takisawa2

If its popped to the safety catch it must be the release catch sticking. From the Galaxy owners club forum…(great source of info on them) 🙂

Managed to get the catch released with a screwdriver. I needed someone else to hold the bonnet up and shine the torch in.
    Basically just jammed the screwdriver in the curved part of the hook and used the loop on the bonnet to lever it open.
    Then to get the button back in undid the two screws removed the plastic rivets and used the long nose pliers to force button back through hole.

Its common on the Mondeo & that involves cutting a hole in the grill!!!

Northwind

OK, this one might be completely wrong but you never know. Quite a few Fords use a left/right key throw- so you put the key in, turn it left to release the main lock which allows it to pop about an inch, then right to release the safety. I have no clue if Galaxies are the same.

hidetherum
    Free Member

The bonnet release on modern fords is hidden behind the bonnet badge. Rotate the badge. There is a key hole behind the badge which your ignition/door key should fit.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Is this the way of the forum now?

Answers without questions.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s like Jeopardy!

cove123

Drivers footwell for my Galaxy and the a push button in grill by bonnet! Sometimes this does not spring out far enough, WD40 sorts that!!
    i suppose it depends on age or model, both the mondeo and focus i have had opened by key in Ford badge

luked2
    Free Member

Oh, looks like my thread has been decapitated!

Car is too old for a rotating badge (but with enough frustration I might be able to).

Lever in footwell releases the catch enough to raise the bonnet about an inch.

Then you’re supposed to push a stupid idiot-designed piece of plastic, on the wrong end of a long thin flexy piece of steel wire. This releases it the rest of the way….

But the wire just bends, so nothing happens.

Next step is to take the grill off with a chisel 🙁

luked2
    Free Member

Broken in! Turns out the radiator grill is only clipped in. Just popped it out and could then fiddle around and open it.

Root cause of the problem is several different bits of indifferent design, starting with a plastic moulding that has snapped at a point where it takes a lot of stress and has very little material.

porter_jamie

volkwagens, eh.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Long shot – Ford Galaxy bonnet release?’ is closed to new replies.