Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • London + evening + camera – suggestions?
  • Staying in Greenwich in my caravan whilst working – when the nights draw out next week, I fancy a trip into town.

Where’s the best area to head for to get some impressive photos? I’m guessing my primary focus will be architecture and structures, but welcome to suggestions.

Fancy doing some street & candids, but prob wont have the balls – Underground is drawing me in.

Will I get mugged and stabbed?

AlasdairMc

I got a good shot of St. Paul’s from the One New Change shopping centre nearby. There’s a lift to the top and a nice open area with a good elevation above most places.

aP
    Free Member

New Cross, Stockwell, Peckham should all be urban opportunities. 😆
    If you do go on the Underground don’t use a tripod or use flash unless you like BTP having a chat.

Muke
    Free Member

Having discovered http://www.28dayslater.co.uk from a different thread I’d say get out there and start climbing tower cranes.

MSP

Taking pictures in London, more likely to get arrested.

plumber
    Free Member

I’ve done loads of photography in London over the last 8 months. Never had an issue with anyone

Plum

AndyP
    Free Member

Take camera, get on first train heading somewhere pleasant. Take photos, do not get train back.

molgrips
    Free Member

London can be very pleasant. I find that in life, it’s good to look for the good things in everything, rather than making sweeping statements about large complex areas. Don’t be dogmatic.

Lots of unpleasant things in London, but lots of pleasant things too.

rossi46
    Free Member

Here’s one i made earlier:

St Catherine’s dock and Tower Bridge are lovely at night as is Greenwich where you are staying. Head for the river and you’ll always find something!
    Also give the dome (or the 02 as it’s now known 🙄 ) a shot, at night it looks quite spectacular with Canary Wharf in the background 😉

AndyP
    Free Member

I find that in life, it’s good to look for the good things in everything, rather than making sweeping statements about large complex areas. Don’t be dogmatic.
    Absolutely agree. And the good things in London, from my experience gained in five years working there, are the transport links to other places.

Bazz

Not a photographer myself but if you were looking for a good high point for a cityscape shot, then you could try Canonbie road in Forest Hill, from the top on a clear day you can see all the way to Wembley. Not far from Greenwich either.

jfletch
    Free Member

For cliched “London” shots head down the river. St. Paul’s, Millenium bridge, the wheel, Big Ben etc, then nip up to Piccadilly circus to bag the lot.

For non cliched shots. **** knows. That’s why they aren’t cliched shots. Just go exploring.

A flickr map search always yields some interesting ideas.
    http://www.flickr.com/map?&fLat=51.5034&fLon=-0.1139&zl=7

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Get the district to Richmond. Take some sunset shot over the river from the top of Richmond Hill.

Primrose Hill for some awesome skyline shots.

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

Bless. You want me to show you how to use escalators too? 😉

rossi46
    Free Member

For non cliched shots. **** knows.

Round the back of Thamesmead- you’ll get a nice shot of London City Airport.

Entirely possible if you go to said places at night with expensive camera equipment- take a friend or two 😉

Hobster
    Free Member

The area around Bank is worth a look with Leadenhall market and the Lloyds building being close.

Also within easy walk from there you have London bridge (Borough market, HMS belfast etc)

Not sure if you want to go that far west but Exhibition road in South Ken has the big museums (V&A, Nat History) that are pretty impressive.

Failing that a wander round Greenwich should give plenty of opportunities.

Took some in Greenwich the other night – cheers for all the suggestions. Also, taking my bike down – where to cycle from Abbey Wood?

molgrips
    Free Member

And the good things in London, from my experience gained in five years working there, are the transport links to other places

So no nice places at all in London? So you’d take a stroll through Richmond on a summer evening and not see anything nice at all? Not even a detail or anything to take your imagination? Wow.. that’s amazing.

TAFKASTR – lovely pic. Oh.. sorry – not lovely at all. Must remember there’s nothing nice in London.

Hobster
    Free Member

where to cycle from Abbey Wood?

Anywhere!

If you get to Greenwich Pier you can take the foot tunnel under the thames and then follow the Thames path through the Isle of Dogs, Canary Wharf, Limehouse, Wapping, across Tower Bridge and then Shad Thames, Rotherhithe back to Greenwich.

You could also extend the route into central London.

Not sure if I’d want to cycle around Abbey Wood but I’m a middle class whiney cockbag.

marp
    Free Member

if you want some “edgy” pics then the heygate estate at elephant and castle is now derelict, and soon to be demolished (hopefully). Not entirely sure i’d want to go round there at night with camera stuff and a nice bike, but there are security patrols i think. You can wander around in it a fair bit… you might recognise bits from the bill/ harry brown..

Theres also that tunnel full of grafitti just off of the cut at waterloo, thats always quite cool.

Shoreditch / brick lane to get pics of funny moustaches and trendy types. Columbia road flower market up that way on a sunday is always good too. Can also ride out to stratford to the olmpic site fairly easily from there.

You can do all the major spots – southbank, borough market, tower of london, bucky p etc.

theflatboy
    Free Member

AlasdairMc – Member

I got a good shot of St. Paul’s from the One New Change shopping centre nearby. There’s a lift to the top and a nice open area with a good elevation above most places.

i can see both of those from this very chair.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘London + evening + camera – suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.