Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 173 total)
  • London cycling commuters, are you breaking da law? ;-)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Harassing cyclists is pathetic; for every RLJer, there’s a hundred dodgy cars with no tax, insurance, MOT, etc.

And correspondingly, there are loads of coppers looking out for the unlicensed etc and they spent presumably millions on that fancy electronic system that looks up numberplates etc as they drive.

You are saying that because they have at least one other thing to deal with they should ignore the one that YOU want to be able to do…?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Breaking reasonable laws, even little ones, is generally corrosive. Dissolving away those small matters of manners which bind us together as a society.

(Raises eyebrow. Lights up spliff. Fondles shiny bike bits bought on tinternet from America, thus avoiding import duty, tax and stuff…)

stumpy01

I very rarely jump a red light – almost never.
    However, I did a couple of weeks ago on a night ride as the lights turned red as I approached the stop line, there was no one behind me, no one coming towards me, no pedestrians & no cars at the turning to the right that had just gone to green. As it was dark, I could see there was no one approaching that turn either (no headlights on the road) and I could hear no engine/tyre noise.

Situations like that I have no qualms about going through the light, especially if it’s just changing…..and if I get caught, then fair enough I don’t have an issue with it.

I can’t think of a situation I have ever been in where jumping a red light has been safer than waiting with the traffic.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You are saying that because they have at least one other thing to deal with they should ignore the one that YOU want to be able to do…?

No; I’d like the police to actually tackle the serious crime that blights many peoples’ lives, not ponce about giving out a few Fixed Penalties.

(Waits for someone to show actual factual evidence of the horrific impact of cycling ‘crimes’ has on Society…)

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Yeah thanks for that TandemJeremy.

Safety issues aside I suppose. I judge that sort of thing as and when. But as a general principle I obey the law. Others, as a general principle, don’t. There’d be far less RLJing, pavement riding (the stuff that winds folk up) if people would consider the big picture.

I’d also suggest that it’s probably best if your ambassadorial talents and cycling are kept as far apart as possible 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

No; I’d like the police to actually tackle the serious crime that blights many peoples’ lives, not ponce about giving out a few Fixed Penalties.

Do you have a cost breakdown on how much they spend on serious crime and how much on ticketing cyclists?

woffle
    Free Member

Can’t say I ever ride on the pavement but I’ll admit to jumping the occasional r/l at 5:45 when I can see all traffic and it’s safe to do so. At that time of day along Moorgate it’s very quiet – no pedestrians and not much in the way of traffic.

It’s a fair cop if I get caught and on my return leg I’ll obey all signals as the traffic is much busier and there are lot more (unpredictable) people walking about. It’s an entirely different kettle of fish from a safety point of view which is my primary concern TBH – if it was safer then I’d rlj and put up with the occasional ticket.

I think it’s all about shades of grey – as an occasional rlj I have no right to moan about other cyclists doing the same but it never ceases to frighten the bejesus out of me how stupid / inconsiderate some cyclists are. it’s only a matter of time before i watch someone get knocked off on the ride from the office to London Bridge. Whether that’s by a bus / taxi / irate pedestrian I wouldn’t like to say…

No Babylon gonna catch me anyway; I’m too fast for them.

Oh, and I’ve been pulled up on my morning ride just the once – by a police motorcyclist. I’d perhaps fancy my chances vs. a car in London traffic, a BMW bike, not so much 🙂 . He had a most excellent line in sarcasm but I got away without a ticket.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

If one abandons the possibility of a better society in favour of giving priority to individual concerns of preference the possibility of a better society diminishes.

I’d like a better society and so I sometimes give preference to what I perceive as the greater good.

In cycling I think that that equates to generally obeying the law as it inconveniences me very little and means that drivers etc. are less likely to have a problem with cyclists in general.

See, I’m doing you all a favour 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

That was my point.
    to blithely say all red lights must be obeyed at all times is nonsensical. When the road design is such that it is safer to go thru on red then I will do so. My safety is paramount. I don’t do it for my convenience and I don’t ride on pavements.

stumpy01

elfinsafety – I would imagine that Policing in London works the same as round my way….
    There are ‘neighbourhood’ meetings with the public where grievances are aired & the public are given the opportunity to say what they would like to see targeted.
    The Police then have to look at these areas, regardless of how serious they are – I think it’s through the Neighbourhood Policing team.

It’s probably a similar thing in London & cyclists flouting the rules is probably quite high up some people’s agenda.

I am not saying this for sure, but potentially this is why it appears that the Police are spending more time in ‘low-crime’ areas than in ‘high crime’ estates. Perhaps the people in the lower crime areas are more likely to go along to these meetings and pipe up, than the people in the higher crime areas….??

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Agreed TJ!

DrP

I know for a fact that there is a direct link between those that jump red lights on their brakeless fixies, with playing cards/postcards in the spokes, and trousers that are far too tight…., and those that come on to become axe wielding murdering rapists.

Lock ’em up I say, lock ’em up good, for today it’s flaunting the laws of road and fashion, tomorrow it’s planting a hatchet in the face of OUR loved ones whilst they ‘dishonor their reputation’…..

DrP

nickname
    Free Member

I went through a red light once in my younger days and almost caused an accident. Never again, I sure learnt my lesson 🙁

On my daily commute in and out of London there’s not one set of lights that I think to myself ‘hey, that will make me safer if I jump them’.

rewski
    Free Member

I hope you wear your helmet when you jump those red lights TJ 😀

MentalMickey
    Free Member

what’s your general thoughts

…that Red Lights Jumpers are fools and deserve whatever they get whether that be a fine or a trip to the hospital, don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time. :wink:.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rExoOnI-WZM[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNe19LWnq2A[/video]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I know for a fact that there is a direct link between those that jump red lights on their brakeless fixies, with playing cards/postcards in the spokes, and trousers that are far too tight…., and those that come on to become axe wielding murdering rapists.

This is actually true.

Lock ’em up I say, lock ’em up good, for today it’s flaunting the laws of road and fashion, tomorrow it’s planting a hatchet in the face of OUR loved ones whilst they ‘dishonor their reputation’…..

And I agree with this. Fixies are a scourge on our society.

Yet is there a CoL Anti-Fixie squad? No. See; one more example of how real crime is ignored, in favour of ‘performance figures’.

Perhaps the people in the lower crime areas are more likely to go along to these meetings and pipe up, than the people in the higher crime areas….??

I actually know for a fact that people on my estate aren’t informed of these meetings; you need to go to the local police station to find out the details. However, just down the road in another ‘zone’ (much wealthier neighbourhood), leaflets are put through residents doors, informing them of the meetings. Funny, that…

I won’t bore you with the details of the politics with local policing here, suffice to say that clear up rates aren’t as high here as they are in other areas. Mind you, it does mean all the drug dealers, prostitutes and other scrotes get pushed into one zone, away from where the nice decent people live.

stumpy01

Mind you, it does mean all the drug dealers, prostitutes and other scrotes get pushed into one zone, away from where the nice decent people live.

Not all bad, then?? 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I won’t bore you with the details of the politics with local policing here, suffice to say that clear up rates aren’t as high here as they are in other areas. Mind you, it does mean all the drug dealers, prostitutes and other scrotes get pushed into one zone, away from where the nice decent people live.

And I bet they don’t jump reds where the decent people live either. 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

you know when you go on holiday and see that awful stereotypical british family abroad:

overweight, bad bulldog tattoos (husband and wife), 5 kids all named after footballers, sunburnt, shouting loudly in english at waiters thinking it’ll help them understand, swearing across the swimming pool, drunk at 10am kinda thing….

and you think “oh god, they give us such a bad name, if only people could see we’re not all like that?!”

well that’s what seeing cyclists jumping red lights, riding on the pavement, riding without lights at night, not wearing anything reflective and not wearing a helmet makes me feel like… “oh god if only people could see we’re not all like that!”

i know you all make your own personal risk assessments and blah blah blah, but f*ck me its painful to see. are you all insured for when a car hits you after you’ve jumped a redlight? as its not their fault you’ve decided to break the law.

(EDIT – for anyone who doesn’t like my opinion… oh well, its my opinion, I’m not stating it as a fact or as gospel… just an opinion. i can’t be bothered to get drawn into an argument and have stayed away from these threads in the past for that reason.)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Red Lights Jumpers are fools and deserve whatever they get

You do know in your second video, that the camera bod and at least two other cyclists are forward of the stop line, and are therefore guilty of the same offence as the lad who went right over? 😉

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Here’s a Red Light Jumper I caught on video

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Rubbish – I am putting no one in any danger and its not a sport and I am not an ambassador

Are you riding a bike? Well done – you are now a cycling ambassador to everyone that sees you while on it.

You can disagree all you want, but it remains that practically every non-cyclist that sees you on your commute riding your bike is going to pigeon-hole you ‘cyclist’ in the same way that every person with a big stick on a golf course is a golfer and everyone behind the wheel of a BMW is a BMW-driver.

It’s stereotyping, but that’s just how it is.

flamejob
    Free Member

I wonder how many anti-RLJers are cheeky trail riders…

rewski
    Free Member

flamejob – I must confess to a cheeky bit of off road footpath riding, mainly at night.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

😆

I have the tin opener – anyone got the can of worms?

😉

molgrips
    Free Member

to blithely say all red lights must be obeyed at all times is nonsensical

No-one objects to a common sense approach. It’s just a question of what common sense is.

You do know in your second video, that the camera bod and at least two other cyclists are forward of the stop line, and are therefore guilty of the same offence as the lad who went right over

I presume your winky is to indicate that you know there’s a big practical difference between what the one cyclist did and what the rest did..?

So anyway E&S, are you leafletting your local neighbourhood and letting them know when the police meetings are? Or putting up posters?

rewski
    Free Member

Anyone lucky enough to ride on the tube strike day? Complete and utter madness, newbies running red lights because they assume it’s the thing to do, must of witnessed 4+ near accidents, all involving red lights.

Enough is enough people.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I presume your winky is to indicate that you know there’s a big practical difference between what the one cyclist did and what the rest did..?

In terms of the Law, no. No difference at all. They’ve all gone over the stop line. So, they’ve all RLJed. In fact, I think the motorcop may have also committed an offence, as he wasn’t responding to an ’emergency’, and therefore bound by the same laws as the rest of us.

All a bit silly really anyway.

So anyway E&S, are you leafletting your local neighbourhood and letting them know when the police meetings are? Or putting up posters?

Yes, we’ve made the local plod leaflet the area, and gone round to encourage other residents to come along to the meetings. At the last one, they ran out of sandwiches before the meeting even began, and had to get extra chairs. The senior Babylonians seem a bit hacked off that we’re making them do their jobs properly, but things are slowly improving. Sad that it took damage to one of their spensive vehicles before they actually started to do owt, but small steps.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Tube strike day was painful. Lost car drivers randomly changing lanes, staring at sat navs, generally poor driving. The casual cyclists seemed to have dark clothes, no lights, no balance and hardly any air in their tyres.

stumpyjon

All the ‘valid’ reasons for RLJ are just excuses really. There’s no need for it

Apart from induction loop activated lights that don’t pick up an aluminium moutain bike yet alone a carbon road bike. If it’s quiet and no cars come up behind you the lights don’t change!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

“to blithely say all red lights must be obeyed at all times is nonsensical”

No-one objects to a common sense approach. It’s just a question of what common sense is.

Actually several posters on here seem to have difficulty with the concept. Then I see such poor safety awarenesses from cyclists and not just the “casual ” ones but the lycraed / helmeted up “pro” commuters as well.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Enough is enough people.

rewski
    Free Member

I’m not the only one who notices peoples tyre pressure then?

epicsteve
    Free Member

The only time I’ve jumped red lights is when I’ve encountered those sensor activated ones that even my vast bulk wasn’t enough to trip.

I will admit to an odd bit of on-pavement riding though. I have a short cut from the end of my usual off-road route to the house that saves quite a bit of time and distance but requires a little bit of pavement riding (perhaps 20 yards) as there is no through route on the road. If I was caught doing it I’d regard it as a fair cop, but there isn’t much chance of that!

I actually used to ride on pavements a lot, but that was when I worked in Livingston as a local bylaw allowed riding on the pavements.

molgrips
    Free Member

In terms of the Law, no. No difference at all. They’ve all gone over the stop line.

You know as well as I do that the law is subject to the discretion of those prosecuting it.

But well done for leafleting mind.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Not me, although that’s because there isn’t really any such thing as a cheeky trail up here! If I did live somewhere with less enlightened access laws I’m not convinced I’d pay an awful lot of regard to them though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fair enough TJ, I don’t remember having any particular problems there, YM must have V.

D0NK

Plus, putting your wheels over the white line doesn’t count imo.

But if COL or whover police are out on a PR ticketing cyclist exercise who are they doing to ticket? Are they gonna ticket the guys who look carefully before crossing a deserted junction? Are they gonna get TJ (and me, I do similar) leaving before the lights change on dangerous junctions? Are they gonna get everyone who rides over the stop line? A line has to be drawn somewhere and those who cross it will be punished…fortunately theres a big white one already on the road.

Not saying I disagree with you molgrips just playing devils advocate.

Your going to have to brush up on your trolling skills to get anywhere with that

crazy-legs

I can see where TJ is coming from – I occasionally jump lights on my commute as well. I don’t make a habit of it, I don’t go charging blindly through scattering pedestrians in my wake or forcing cars to swerve but there are plenty of situations where getting the jump on the 2 lines of revving cars behind me makes it safer and more convenient for all concerned. I get up to speed and out the way of a dangerous junction, cars get a clear run without the challenge of accelerating, changing gear, manoeuvring and overtaking me combined.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 173 total)

The topic ‘London cycling commuters, are you breaking da law? ;-)’ is closed to new replies.