Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 173 total)
  • London cycling commuters, are you breaking da law? ;-)
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Arcticdan Thats rubbish. I’m viz’d up and obey the law. I know exactly whats going on around me. I haven’t been squashed yet

Arcticdan
    Free Member

Maybe an over generalisation, but for the majority of those type of cyclist they are an accident waiting to happen!

naokfreek
    Free Member

Had a feeling this would be rather heated. My rules are, pay close attention to everything around you, then, should you decide to break the law, you are less likely to be caught.

This also helps avoid being runover or indeed hitting someone else.

I’ve covered 40000+- miles in london and am yet to have an accident.

For the record, i used to jump red lights like it was going out of fashion, but i do it rarely now..but do do it, if it’s safe to do so.

Everyone breaks the law doing something they shouldn’t, so i wouldn’t and indeed don’t worry about it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nedrapier

I choose not to jump RL’s because it’s stooopid

I have an idea that rewski might be having us on, but anyone who truly believes this isn’t really paying attention to what’s going on around him. Which is stoopid.

me: Lights F&R, no idea about CE markings, no reflectors, no pedal reflectors, some black clothing but always some white/light/reflective. RLJ where it’s safe, advantageous, and doesn’t incovenience pedestrians or drivers with more of a right of way than me*. But never at the one the Po-leece stand behind every day.

*Edit: And always after slowing as much as necessary and making exaggerated head movements while I check to make it obvious to anyone who cares that I’m making informed choices about my safety and that of those who I might affect.

druidh
    Free Member

I have come to the conclusion that there are two Edinburghs. TJs one, where it takes an hour to drive out of town and all the drivers are out to get you – and the one I live and work in.

nedrapier

TJ, why do you make a point of saying you never ride on pavements?

Seems odd to find someone who spends a lot of his time preaching intelligent choice regardeless of the the law to be using the word “never”.

Not even if it involves a satisfying sidehop and no one’s looking?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’rt believe its ever justified to ride on pavements. I push my bike if I want to go on a pavement.

I make teh point to show its not about being unthinking or selfish that I jump red lights but that I do it in a considered manner to ensure my safety.

Actually thinking about it I have used the edge of dropped kerbs as little jumps for amusement a few times. However I never use pavements to avoid traffic

naokfreek
    Free Member

The one and only fine i’ve had in London was for riding on the pavement; going down the strand, hopped onto the pavement to take a little short cut to a loading bay and rode straight up to a policewomen. It was actually very funny and we both laughed at how dumb i was, she was very pleasent and we had quite a chat 😉

Actually thinking about it I have used the edge of dropped kerbs as little jumps for amusement a few times. However I never use pavements to avoid traffic

Same, for the record, it would be slower to ride on the pavement than anywhere else in London. A waste of time. Although one place that is good is Temple, loads of maze like routes, drops, steps…good fun!

nedrapier

However I never use pavements to avoid traffic

I understand you point of why you made the point, but I don’t see the difference between taking another’s right of way when it’s safe and doesn’t incovenience them, and taking another’s right of way when it’s safe and doesn’t incovenience them.

😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I red light jump only for my own safety. I don’t know of a situation where going on pavements reduces the risks to me significantly

Marmoset
    Free Member

God Joe, what have you started here with this thread – there’ll be no one cycling in tomorrow, they’re all too busy arguing on here!

eshershore
    Free Member

I red light jump only for my own safety.

perhaps you need to go to a cycling proficiency class (they are run by local authorities and free to attend) and learn how to ride a bicycle on the highway safely?

seriously, if you need to break the law to “stay safe” on the highway, you need to have a long, hard look at your cycling?

develop your “road craft”, follow the highway code and you won’t have a problem with either the law or other road users..

think of if it this way – if you break the law and are involved in a road traffic accident with a pedestrian, other cyclist or motor vehicle, and you survive the accident, expect to have the full weight of the law thrown at you

I commute over 100 miles a week from NW to S London, and the common “near misses” I have is with law-breaking cyclists jumping lights at junctions and riding at me down one-way roads

nedrapier

ES,

Yup, there are some ****s out there, and I’m not one of the ones you describe.

But there is a difference between making every possible effort to make sure everyone around you is not endangered or inconvenienced by your actions, and making your commute 10% longer than it needs to be.

Oh, and when I break the law, I make bloody sure that there is zero chance that my doing it will result in any kind of RTA.

rewski
    Free Member

nedrapier – those exaggerated head movements are your brain trying to tell you it’s stoopid.

Are you on the back of TJ’s tandem by any chance?

naokfreek
    Free Member

I red light jump only for my own safety.

Sometimes it is clearly the safer option.

rewski
    Free Member

There’s no such thing as a RTA, have you not seen Hot Fuzz? Accident implies nobody was at fault, if you jump lights it’s pretty cut and dry who’s fault it is.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

esher shore

Don’t patronise me. I am 50 yrs old and have always cycled in towns and don’t own a car.

Did you actually bother to read what I wrote? Perhaps you should go back and do so.

I RLJ in a controlled manner at junctions I know when I can see all is clear and when by doing so I improve my safety by getting out of the way. I do not do it for my convenience.

If you don’t understand that sometimes its safer to RLJ then you need to brush up on your riding skills.

Its a part of defensive riding that I have been practising for decades. I first read “roadcraft” 30 yrs ago

Go teach your grandmother to suck eggs.

naokfreek
    Free Member

I’m with TJ on this BTW, certain junctions in London for one are way, way safer if you’ve got a clear road ahead and behind. having been stopped by the plod for doing so, he agreed with my arguement and said good day.

The traffic lights in towns are there for motor vehicles. Bikes are now a part of the traffic and this inturn presents problems. I really consider cyclists in London as no problem, if you wanna risk your arse doing something dumb, go ahead. If it’s clearly a considered move, taking in all aspects of potential danger..fair play.

Drivers on the other hand belting through reds 2 seconds after they’ve changed is a far, far greater danger to every road user. Drivers in London jump every set of lights i’m at…possibly hundreds a day.
    The police appear not to really give a toss. Black cabs as a group of individuals are the worst offenders by miles.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

so you pick an chose the laws to obey

Damned straight I do! The skill is knowing when you can get away with it. I’m not doing too badly, all things considered…. 😈

I don’rt believe its ever justified to ride on pavements.I don’rt believe its ever justified to ride on pavements.

Oh give over you tart! Of course it is! How do you get past the nearside of a car that’s too close to the kerb at the traffic lights? Quick bunnyhop and you’re gone. I take a shortcut through Farnborough pedestrian area EVERY TIME I ride to work. There’s nobody about at 6.30am. On the way home I just go a bit slower and act nonchalantly!

molgrips
    Free Member

TJ, can you maybe video this junction you keep talking about so we can really see what you mean?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have given you google images and descriptions of two junctions on teh first page.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How do you get past the nearside of a car that’s too close to the kerb at the traffic lights?

You wait.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You go down the outside

ojom
    Free Member

Like druidh I have zero problems with junctions in town. Only with other bike users making up their own rules and being entirely unpredictablein their use of the road system. If we all act in the same way then it will be fine.

Tj – you sure seem to perceive some aggro out there.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Agreed. Maybe things seem more aggro at TJ’s speeds.
    😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No aggro – just keeping myself safe. I haven’t had any aggro for a long time.

I’ll show you the two junctions in question but I know its safer to go a few seconds early to get ahead of the cars.

Al – why the attack again.
    Where did I say I get aggro?

TBC – have you ever ridden thru those two junctions? I dio use them a lot

i commute to work in london every day and I ride like a complete bastard! I hold onto lorries, gamble with amber, hop on pavements to cut up the stationery traffic weave like a bee and if any one cuts me up or pulls out in front of me i kick their wing mirror off then do one down a side road!

markgraylish
    Free Member

I RLJ all the time. But over here (Vancouver), it’s actually legal and both cars, bikes, trucks and buses do it. In fact, all over North America it’s legal (except at specified junctions).

So, if it’s good for the US and Canada, why is it such an issue in the UK? The difference is that it only applies when turning right and you must give way to pedestrians and traffic from your left.

So, reverse the directions for you right hand drive people and it’s perfectly safe to turn left on a red light when everyone understands it’s treated as a Give Way.

So, all those people above getting sanctimonious about RLJ’ing take the above into account. I’m pretty certain the vast majority of RLJ’ers (even in London or Edinburgh) aren’t zooming straight across the middle of busy junctions without looking and with traffic flashing past in either direction.
    (To summarize, there is sensible RLJ’ing and there is suicidal RLJ’ing but the former does appear to be apparent to the Daily Mail readers above! And yes, it is breaking the law [in the UK] but the law is an ass and should be updated)

ojom
    Free Member

Teviot… nearly every day as I commute through it. Twice.
    Leith… used to live nearby if you recall. So aye to that one too.

Ride like a car drives – they don’t seem to have trouble with them.

rewski
    Free Member

markgraylish – So you propose a law where anyone on a bike can jump a red light, do you really think that’s suitable for a 8+ year old child to do? I can’t be assed with this one anymore RJL’s please carry on, perhaps the inevitable might happen and I can read about you in my Daily Mail.

rewski
    Free Member

NickyB is going downhill – I think i’ve seen you, you need to pump your back tyre up, you’d go much faster.

Now I’m really going.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Weel, there’s a turn up. Saw no RLJs on my ride from station to office this morning at all. Sadly, as usual, all the ASLs were full of taxis, buses, vans and motorbikes

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

How do you get past the nearside of a car that’s too close to the kerb at the traffic lights?

You wait.

You go down the outside

Nahhh. Bollox to that. Stuff the lot of ’em. Rules? I don’t need your stinking rules!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

i commute to work in london every day and I ride like a complete bastard! I hold onto lorries, gamble with amber, hop on pavements to cut up the stationery traffic weave like a bee and if any one cuts me up or pulls out in front of me i kick their wing mirror off then do one down a side road!

NickyB is my hero! Go dude!!! 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TBC – you don’t understand the posiotion. ride like a car drives? The teviot place one you are in a cycle lane joining a road. Does not apply.

If you go a bit early you are in front of the cars. If you go on green then you have a line of cars crossing your lane. Other STWers have had issues at thei set. its badly designed.

The leith one – you would be being overtaken by a line of traffic thru a pinch point and then have to turn right across a line of traffic.

Both times it is simply safer to set off from the light early. Its safer to be infront than it is to be amongst the traffic especially with the pinch points and illegally parked cars

TBC – I have also seen you riding on pavements and pedestrian crossings as well as ignoring other road law

ojom
    Free Member

TBC – I have also seen you riding on pavements and pedestrian crossings as well as ignoring other road law

yes i have done. That was not what i was discussing with you though.

I was pointing out the fallacy of running reds.

Can you elaborate on the Teviot junction again – not sure i understand what the problem is (genuinely not poking).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

AS you come up off middle meadow walk there is a road from your right and your left both of which turn and going straight on. The traffic lights for the cycle lane in the middle are timed so that they ago to green the same time as the road from your right. The road you are going on to is two lane but all the traffic from you right wants to cross to the left lane, the one you are going to be in. If you leave on the green you arrive at the point on the road that the cars want to go into at the same time as they do and because of the layout of the road they will tend to swing across into your lane right at the start of the two lane bit. there is almost always illegally parked cars on it which narrows it as well.

You can clearly see all the roads and pavements for hundreds of yards. If you go early then you are ahead of the cars at the point they want to merge into your lane, if you wait for the green you are alongside them as they want to merge.

The next set of lights is always on red – thats how the timing works. So if you have waited for the green you then get trangled up in the cars again there, if you have gone early you are at the front of the line so the next junction where you turn right is easier.

You are less in the way of the cars and less exposed to them if you go early. There is no danger in going early at all. There is danger if you go on green.

other STWers have had issues at these lights – they are badly designed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TJ you really need to lighten up, can you not understand what 😆 means?

TandemJeremy – Member

If you go a bit early you are in front of the cars. If you go on green then you have a line of cars crossing your lane. Other STWers have had issues at thei set. its badly designed.

Are you not channelled straight onto the bike lane?

I’ve used that junction for years too – I worked nearby for 7 years. HOwever your description of how traffic uses it is nrecognisable to me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Al – a smilie does not make persoanl attacks acceptable. You continually make snidey digs at me. You didn’t like it when I did it to you the other day

I use that junction a lot. That is how I find it. the cycle lane is merely a bit marked on the side of the road that is far to narrow, it usually has parked cars in it and the cars come from your right and try to merge to the left into the space you are in. I don’t like having a car a few inches from my elbow. I’d rther it was a few yards behind

cynic-al
    Free Member

TJ I don’t even remember you having a go at me. If you can’t even take a humourous poke about going slow, with a smilie attached, I give up.

I get on fine with the bike lane (you appear to want more room than me) and don’t find cars automatically forcing me onto the kerb as you appear to.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 173 total)

The topic ‘London cycling commuters, are you breaking da law? ;-)’ is closed to new replies.