Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • London Commuters / Riots
  • nim

Hi all,

This came through from a colleague not long ago. May be tosh but with what’s been going on, worth taking note.

“I’ve had two friends tell me how they witnessed bikes being stolen while beinh ridden, probably due to rioters (who need a more efficient form of transport) Google maps danger zone shows a couple of theft-occurences around Islington (only 2KM away from office) where cyclists have had their bikes stolen. Send this on to anyone not on my list.

GMDZ: {http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?
    ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=207192798388318292131.0004aa01af6748773e8f7}

Someone’s quote:
    I’ve just returned from Hackney riots and was ambushed just off Essex Road and had my bike snatched by a group of six masked teenagers waiting on Ecclesbourne Road who were shouting “take the bike, take the bike”. I was forced to swerve away from them but crashed to the ground. Just as one of the thieves grabbed my bike from under me a red van raced screeched around the corner and smashed into a parked car. Two young men then got out and the man in passenger seat then put his hand in his pocket and threatened to pull a on knife on the thieves, accusing them of stealing his bike earlier.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/2011/aug/08/london-riots-third-night-live

swamp_boy

Look out for yourself on the way home mate. Just come back from W London via Kilburn and there are roads blocked and riot squad convoys all over the place. And two bobbies on bikes who looked distinctly worried.

nim

Thanks Simon – if the cops look worried, can’t be good!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

if the cops look worried, can’t be good!

Only human. Being worried doesn’t mean that you can’t carry on regardless.

ciron
    Free Member

I just sent home from a meeting in Goodge Street. People working in buildings around there were being told to go home by the Police.

Rode back via Camden, Kentish Town and Archway. Police on the streets the entire way and probably half the shops shut or with shutters down, even in Crouch End!

Very weird atmosphere out and about.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘London Commuters / Riots’ is closed to new replies.