Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Log burner advice……….thank you
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Arbtalk eh?

I could easily take delivery of, store and dry 25tonnes….

cant see youtoob vids here, will catch them later though.

ski
    Free Member

how do you do that? Can you go direct to the loggers?

Or direct to the landowner Stoner?

That’s what I do, I offer to cut up any wood they want down for free, in return for a split of the wood.

Logged 3 huge Ash Trees on an island yesterday with a mate, still got another 40 to 50 to go!

Stoner were you the guy on here planning to farm Willow, if so I would like to know more about that if you have time?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yup. A standard load is 25 tonnes, usually in 2.4m lengths

Ahhh, OK 25 tonnes. Still tempted. Plus I’ve got mates nearby with stoves and we could split it between us.

Stoner
    Free Member

ski – yep, Im due to plant some short rotation coppicing next month.

Im getting the willow whips from a guy in Hartpury, Glos. I went to visit him the other day to talk over varieties and harvesting techniques. Ive plumped for a bout 500 whips 50:50 Viminalis and Q83 hybrid.

The viminalis grows as a fairly straight pole with little side-branching. Should yield a 2.4m cord of about 3″ diameter every 4-5 years (and obviously once the stool has developed maybe 4 or 5 cords per plant) The Q83 he showed me seemed to mass up even faster, into 3″ over about 4yrs, but wasnt quite so straight.

Its not going to do much more than about a quarter to a third of my annual use, but it provides a bit of screening and will be interesting to see develop. I might yield about £100 worth of wood a year after the initial 3-4 years.

Planted at 1m grid, Im only using a 15m x 30m section of the field, with another 2m x 30m section on the other fence line.

geoffj

Arbtalk eh?

Think of it like a low(er) rent version of this place.

The spelling and punctuation is enough to have you shouting at the computer. 😐

Bunnyhop

To the person who wants to paint the area around the stove a light colour – think carefully. Ours is a pale biscuit colour (ooh get me with my interior design skills) and it shows up all the dirt from the logs, stove and bits of ash etc.
    I’d stick with natural brick or if painted choose a darker colour.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Log burner advice……….thank you’ is closed to new replies.