Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New loft insulation
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

Has anyone had this done under the grant scheme? Did they take out your old insulation? Only reason I ask is that some of ours is damaged due to the previous idiots insulating right upto the eaves and due to there being no ventilation, we have mouldy insulation 🙄 Also what's the crack with rolling insulation across the joists? I thought this was a no no?
    All answers appreciated no matter how daft 😀

forlornhope
    Free Member

probably best to take up the old stuff,then lay 100mm roll between your joists and then 170mm in the opposite direction on top of the joists,thats the common practice.
    keep an eye out on hotukdeals website,because npower and build center are starting there £1 roll rockwool insulation deal with free delivery very soon.
    you are allowed up to 100mm of both sizes under the scheme and do not need to be an npower customer,plus rockwool is far superior than the crappy glassfibre stuff b&q or homebase are doing.

mikey74
    Free Member

As hopey said but I'd fill up the joists i.e. if you have 100mm joists, get 100mm insulation, if you have 150mm joists, get 150mm insulation etc. and then the 170mm laid at right angles to the insulation between the joists, over the top.

What you do need to allow for though is if you have walkway boarding down the middle: You will need to allow for additional battens on top of the joists to accomodate the extra thickness of insulation.

I was under the impression that you could only get a grant if there was no insulation present.

And +1 for Rockwool roll

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spooky_b329

Agree with the above, now the recommended levels of insulation are so deep, you will always exceed the joist depth. Laying 90 degrees to the joists insulates the joists themselves as otherwise they become the most uninsulated part.

To be honest unless you are not capable, I wouldn't bother with the grant, when you can get 3 for the price of 1 on bog standard fibreglass, you could probably do it for £30-40, rather than claiming the grant towards the cost of someone doing it for you.

petrieboy

i recently had mine done through energy saving trust. they left the old fiber in place and put 200mm on top. only cost £100 for a 3 bed semi. which reminds me, i dont think i've seen an invoice from them 8)

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I bought enough in Homebase last week to do our 3 bed semi for £2.50 a roll for some 170mm carbon zero recycled stuff & going to do it myself tomorrow, it's hardly rocket science.

stumpyjon

The DIY chains are all selling massively subsidised loft insulation. Thicker the better in the attic really. I added an extra 200mm to my loft in addition to the 200mm put in by the builders.

If you have a ventilated loft it can be difficult to avoid blocking the soffit vents due to the depth of insulation. Think I may have to pull mine back from the eaves at some point.

Installing it yourself isn't a partcularly pleasent job but I could be bothered with the hassle of getting someone in to do it. Just be aware the rolls are pretty big, surprising how many trips to the DIY shop you'll need to make.

mudshark
    Free Member

I ordered 29 of 170mm thick stuff when npower were doing £1 per roll; I think they might be a bit overwhelmed as it's been 4 weeks now. BTW, I estimated how many I needed and suspect I'll have a bit left over!

tthew

It would be worth ringing you energy supplier for advise. Most of them will have some sort of scheme as they are obliged by the government to spend money on energy saving measures for customers, (that's why NPower rushed out a packet of free energy saving lightbulbs, just before that particular initiative was banned).

I had to clear my loft of old insulation for the grant/discount entitlement, which was a truly horrible job, but this might not be the case now as the rules do change occasionally, again if you ring up your supplier they will tell you the latest rules.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I am booked in for the job via my energy supplier. I went for that, as at the time as it worked out cheaper than the insulation deals, plus it saves me a job 😀

forlornhope
    Free Member

mudshark theres a big backlog we are still waiting to fulfill orders from november,new stock should be in next week depending on the weather.

Trekster

Beware.
    My dad had his loft relagged.
    Due to the recent cold spell his water tank overflow froze and brought the ceiling down in his bathroom due to the pipe dropping off!!!!!

Therefore you need to pay attention to your cold water tank & pipework

monkeychild
    Free Member

Well I am doing it myself, as they were only going to lay some insulation over the old stuff. £199 for that! My bum cheeks I am going to pay for that!

Chase
    Free Member

Has anybody ever used the bagged (orange one side/foil on the other) to insulate beneath their ground floor?
    I did this last year by stapling it between the floor joists, but there is a nagging doubt that what i've done is wrong because the rolls cleary state for loft use only. It made a hell of a difference to the warmth of the house downstairs though.

oldgit
    Free Member

What's the effect of boarding over the insulation?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I bought 5 rolls of 200mm stuff from B&Q on saturday. Cost 6 quid each. Recycled stuff, covers 5.4 sq/m each.
    You can board over insulation as long as it doesn't squash it down. Ie. it's same thickness as your joists

Chase
    Free Member

What's the effect of boarding over the insulation?

If you squash it you lose the air gaps which is integral to how the insulation works.

takisawa2

Question…
    I've found that the new stuff is narrower than the distance between my joists…
    Is it worth worrying about the 2" gap ?
    Should I chop some to fit before I go over at 90deg with the next layer ?
    So many questions. 🙂

montylikesbeer

Focus are doing half price 150 and 200 mm insulation right now, I got 12 rolls for £102.00 last week

Chase
    Free Member

Takisawa2 – you'll have what is described as a 'cold bridge' if you don't fill the gap. It needs filling to be effective.

Baldysquirt

Takisawa2 / Chase, The ideal, of course will be to fill the gap as it will be a colder spot, but if you're overlaying it at 90 degrees it shouldn't really be an issue as you'll still have 170mm of insulation across the full width.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New loft insulation’ is closed to new replies.