Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Location help please.. Lee Quarry and Cragg Quarry
  • 2hottie
    Free Member

Hi all

I'm looking to have a quick spin round these two places tomorrow but am struggling to find were to start these routes? I'm guessing Lee Quarry has a car park of some description but what about Cragg Quarry?

any help welcome,

cheers

Scott

terrahawk
    Free Member

ride up the pennine bridleway from Waterfoot towards Rooley Moor Road and it's kind of just 'there'.

2hottie
    Free Member

Is it near Cowpe Reservoir then, there is a Quarry there?

Andituk
    Free Member

Park at the Buck Inn in Cowpe and then ride up the hill across the road from the carpark marked "Top Of Leach". When you regain conciousness and/or finish vomiting, consider that pushing might have been easier, and then continue following to the path to you ride into the middle of Cragg Quarry.

Lee Quarry, turn off Newchurch Road opposite the Royal Oak in Stacksteads at the futures park next to the kitchen factory, and follow the road round to the right, turn onto the little lane and park on the scrubland to the left. Ride up the lane to the gate of the quarry.

TonyL
    Free Member

At the moment the location of the quarry (Lee) is (unintentionally!) a well kept secret. They still do not have decent signage up as yet which something which we hope to remedy soon. Easiest way of getting directions is to Google (or key in to your SatNav) the following:- Kingfisher Centre Futures Park, Bacup, OL13 0BB.

Cragg Quarry is even more of a challenge to find but its worth it! There is a cheeky route over the moors from Lee Quarry but it is wet in places and best done in the dry with someone with some local knowledge. Plan is to have a surfaced route constructed over the moors by this Autumn. Best way of getting to Cragg at the moment is to follow the Pennine Bridleway from Cowpe Road. The landlord of the Buck is quite happy for people to park in his car park and go for a ride. Quite a steep climb up on to the moors following the Pennine bridleway signs. You will then find yourself following a track which enters a large quarry, trails are hidden away in there. No signage yet but I'm hoping to get up there tomorrow morning and get some temporary signs put up.

sam42
    Free Member

Look out for the scooby doo mystery machine painted butty van in the car park at lee.

2hottie
    Free Member

Spot on cheers all, Tony might see you there looking all lost in the Quarry

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I've never found the climb from Lumb to the top that challenging; I must be a real hero. It's not that hard, really.

Brownbacks
    Free Member

Directions to Lee Quarry here

http://www.brownbacksracing.co.uk

toons
    Free Member

Whereabouts on that website?

stumpyjon

You finished your exams then! Should've been out digging yesterday.

What time you thinking over coming over?

project
    Free Member

Look for the big blue modern building as you enter stacksteads near the shell garage, turn into car park and then over the new concrete bridge and up the rough hill through the gate and youre there.

2hottie
    Free Member

Hi Jon,

No not finished my exams yet!! I have the final one this coming Friday, landlord and tenant, nice. Seems like you had a good session at the weekends dig, I was stuck in revising for my exam today which went surprisingly well? Thought Id pop over to Lee Quarry and have a look at how good the tracks are, also I'm entering the Brownbacks races so thought I'd have a look round. I'm meeting a mate up there at around 9am ish if you fancy a spin out?

stumpyjon

Was kinda hoping it'd been in the evening (given the grim redundancy reaper is doing the rounds at work again taking the day off to go riding might be a tad suicidal). Was trying to tempt Terry over as well, maybe even Martin (he's just bought an Orange 5 although he tore the rear mech off on the second ride out, on home baked 🙄 ).

Sunday's dig was pretty good. Terry and I might put in another dig to get the remaining woodwork in so we can complete the whole thing on the next official dig day.

If you do fancy coming over in the evening / weekend I'd definitely be up for a ride, give you a tour of Cragg Quarry to.

2hottie
    Free Member

Yeah I can only make the morning as the chap I'm meeting has to work in the afternoon, we can catch up and go for a spin during the summer, as for digs after this week I could meet up one evening to get a few hours in if you wanted? Say meet at 5-6 ish then dig till it goes dark? Hopefully should be there for the next dig tho.

tezzer22
    Free Member

hi 2hottie and stumpy jon i would be well up for a blast round lee and cragg some time soon

stumpyjon

Right, I'll arrange something then if we can all fit it in amongst the amazing social whirl we all live in.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Location help please.. Lee Quarry and Cragg Quarry’ is closed to new replies.