Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Llandegla or Penmachno?
  • thepodge
    Free Member

Hi,
    Girlfriend and I are off to Anglesey at the weekend and thought we'd stop off at either Llandegla or Penmachno on the way for a ride.

I'm fine with them both, the girlfriend prefers gentler stuff but has done and enjoyed Dalby / Marin / Afan Wall / Most of the Peak District without too much problem.

I was wondering which you lot would recommend. also as its a bank holiday which might be the quietest?

sc-xc

I much prefer Penmachno, and it'll be quieter as well. Enjoy!

Bat1
    Free Member

Penmachno gets my vote!!!

Spud

Not ridden Llandegla, but Penmachno is my favourite trail centre. Options for one or both loops too. Great middle of nowhere feeling too in places.

chakaping
    Free Member

Penmachno much better on a bank holiday surely?

Llandegla will be rammed – and maybe a bit intimidating for the GF if she's still learning the ropes.

catshoe
    Free Member

another vote for Pen. Like chakaping says Degla, lovely though it is, will be utterly packed stupid

Pieface

Penmachno.

No trailhead facilities and further away from population centres so quieter. Better riding too.

mAx_hEadSet

Depends when you are going and how long you have before Anglesey Do both they are 30 minutes apart, if she would rather avoid climbing and would like a comfort break with facilites Llandegla might be better than Penmachno. You could always park in Llandegla Village and ride over to the forest entering via Offa's Dyke from near the Plough Inn on the A525 with a 15 minute warm up ride avoiding any queue in the car park

thepodge
    Free Member

thanks for all that people. Pen it is

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Take your midge repellant with you was up at Pen the other week and I'm still scratching

thepodge
    Free Member

I've got sun cream with it built in so its double protection for me

nbt

Trailhead facilities at Llandegla are great, shame the trail doesn't match. Penmachno is the opposite with a great trail but no facilities at all.

Penmachno would get my vote for sure

before you go, though, can you get Stevo to sort my code for a replacement frame please? the last one he sent me expired 🙁 ta ! 🙂

nbt

Code sorted and new frame ordered cheers 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

the pics of Lland I've seen look a bit too sanitised for me but i wasn't sure if its like that all the way round.

oh and I don't work for On One any more but i'm glad some one sorted it for you

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

black (barely) sections at llandegla are bmx styly funtastic. Pen has a very natural feel which I like a lot.

thepodge
    Free Member

see that's the thing, if i wanted BMX i could pop up the local track that lays half way between my house and the girlfriend's so some proper more natural trail stuff is ideal.

MrOvershoot

thepodge – Member
    oh and I don't work for On One any more but i'm glad some one sorted it for you

That was short lived!! Or was it supposed to be?

lowey

I agree with Spud… Pen is my favorite man made that I have ever ridden. Love it.

sofatester
    Free Member

+1 Pen

iggs
    Free Member

For me Llandegla is the kind of place thats fine if your passing but its not worth a special trip.

Because its quite BMXy, ie smooth, bermy and with jumps, its quite good fun to blast round and at only 21 smoothish km it doesn't take long. Makes a good night ride too but I'm not sure on the sketch with riding there at night at the moment.

It does get pretty busy though on weekend and bank holidays and this will certainly stop you blasting round and spoil the fun.

Definitely plan on doing a lap in passing at some point but avoid it on a bank holiday especially.

Enjoy Penmachno 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

MrOvershoot – That was short lived!! Or was it supposed to be?

My skills and their requirements weren't a match

Might consider Lland on the way back as it'll be mid week so maybe quieter and more fun to fly round

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla or Penmachno?’ is closed to new replies.