Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Living costs?
  • samuri
    Free Member

I read that as other than bills another £280 a week goes out in cash.

Correct. The 280 a week is our grocery, fuel and spending money.

yossarian
    Free Member

We spend around 75 a week on food for a family of four. Genuinely interested in how people spend such large amounts!!!

oddjob
    Free Member

We recently did a big budgeting exercise and found out that we spend >£600 on food alone and we seem to get through £600-£800 per month on “other” stuff. All in it’s about £4300 per month
    (2 small kids, 2 cars in Denmark)

djglover
    Free Member

I have no idea. A quick fag packet calculation to include mortgage, bills, food, petrol, nursery fees would suggest just under 4K 😯

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I need to sort my spending out 😳

cchris2lou

£900 every month in joint account to cover mortgage and food bills .. £300 on top of that to cover the rest , council tax and insurances .

friend of friend discovered on his divorce that his wife had blown £50K on online bingo in 3 years !!

br
    Free Member

We spend around 75 a week on food for a family of four. Genuinely interested in how people spend such large amounts!!!

And we are even more interested how you spend so little.

Presumably you’ve no alcohol, meat and any other ‘luxury’ in that?

RichPenny
    Free Member

£1200 a month on childcare costs :mrgreen:

Baby due in 8 weeks 😥

When single, all in living costs were about £1300 a month including necessities like decent red wine and bike bits. Now I’m married it’s a bit more 😉 The cost of childcare makes it unlikely that my wife will work for a long time, though she can work at her arts and crafts at home to see if that’ll bring in some extra cash.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Baby due in 8 weeks

though she can work at her arts and crafts at home to see if that’ll bring in some extra cash

No she won’t 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

separate accounts, all bills apart from mrsconsequences phone bill come out of my account and mrsconsequence (and housemate) give me money each month towards those bills.

without the housemate helping with bills it’d be equal amounts towards the household bills each and we continue with whatever’s left in our own accounts as spending/saving money as we see fit (mrsconsequences gets 2 weeks more holiday each year than me and likes to go abroad, i prefer to spend my holidays in the UK.. her choice to spend on holidays and mine to save for things i like) 🙂

in the odd times one of us has struggled financially since we’ve been together we’ve both come to each others aid without hesitation and would never expect to be repayed!

getting a joint savings account soon though to save for joint holidays and stuff.

works for us as we both have different attitudes towards money.. we both are frugal people and like to save but i’m a few years ahead of her with regards to saving, she is still learning and can’t mentally process big things like saving for a house deposit and such whereas i’ve been saving for years now.

everyone’s different 🙂 interesting thread and some truly eye-opening amounts being spent on monthly outgoings, especially food bills! mrsconsequence and i spend around the 40pound mark each week on the supermarket shop… neither of us drink alcohol other than a few units a year so thats a big saving, and take-away consumption dropped dramatically since i’ve been making an effort to loose weight.

anagallis_arvensis

I take home about £1300 a month, it is seeming to cover things, Mrs is curently getting statutory mat pay, she can keep that. I pay a grand into the joint account for bills but am too lazy to get some bills transferred to that account, at the end of the month I have nowt. We do have some buffer we are working through though. Dog costs more to feed than baby too 😆

RichPenny
    Free Member

No she won’t 😉

I reckon she will actually, but I’m thinking after the first 6 months or year. And of course we weren’t stupid enough to have 2 babies at once 😉 The lack of sleep won’t phase her so much as most people, neither of us sleep much more than 4hrs a night anyway. It’s odd, but she seems to generate massive amounts of energy from making things. Many times she’s gone straight from working all night on something to an 8 hour day in work.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fair enough. 😀

yossarian
    Free Member

And we are even more interested how you spend so little.
    Presumably you’ve no alcohol, meat and any other ‘luxury’ in that?

Ah, I’d not included booze. Even so some of the amounts on here are eyewatering. We eat very, very well – my missus and kids are veggies so I guess we save a bit on our meat/fish consumption but not hundreds of pounds!

maxray
    Free Member

Hmm I think about 1500 pm covers mortgage and monthly commitments just leaving food plus whatever. Always seems to be some chunky extra cost each month be it car repair bill or need to do something on the house.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Living costs?’ is closed to new replies.